Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Duclair to 4 Year Deal, $3.5M AAV

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I didn't realize his agent was on here.

He's not that good, and it shouldn't be expected that he will be. This contract will age poorly. He isn't a difference maker and you keep saying "toxic bottom feeder" situation, though I guess your expertise is far beyond that of various Cup winning coaches.

He has had flashes here and there, but lacks consistency and is not a guy who shows up in the playoffs. He had a few good games starting for the Bolts and quickly disappeared back to where he's best suited, bottom 6, and he wasn't even good at that.

To compare Duclair and Debrusk is absolutely hilarious though. Duclair has achieved 40 points twice in his career, and Debrusk has done it 5 times in a shorter career. No one should expect he scores more than 20 with us.

Despite your excuses, there clearly is a reason he's had little to no stability in his career. There's something teams/coaches are seeing, beyond his mediocre stats. You clearly are a big fan and your bias is preventing objectivity.

What the hell is wrong about 20 goals for $3,500,000? Give me that for all 12 forwards and I'll win a LOT of games.

BTW, lost in all the Duclair talk is that he and Pageau killed penalties together in Ottawa, so there's a component of fixing the PK there too.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

He's not that good, and it shouldn't be expected that he will be. This contract will age poorly. He isn't a difference maker and you keep saying "toxic bottom feeder" situation, though I guess your expertise is far beyond that of various Cup winning coaches.

He has had flashes here and there, but lacks consistency and is not a guy who shows up in the playoffs. He had a few good games starting for the Bolts and quickly disappeared back to where he's best suited, bottom 6, and he wasn't even good at that.

To compare Duclair and Debrusk is absolutely hilarious though. Duclair has achieved 40 points twice in his career, and Debrusk has done it 5 times in a shorter career. No one should expect he scores more than 20 with us.

Despite your excuses, there clearly is a reason he's had little to no stability in his career. There's something teams/coaches are seeing, beyond his mediocre stats. You clearly are a big fan and your bias is preventing objectivity.
I don't love him or the extra year but beyond that, what's the real difference between the contract Zito signed him to and this one? He's a middle sixer and he is getting middle six money.

Actually came back from the Achilles repair and had a productive playoff run with FLA.

Without the Achilles injury, who knows what he would have done. 31 goals the first year of that contract, right?

Domi get a slightly better contract from a team that could sign anyone. I'd rather have this guy tbh.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

Perhaps adding two numbers together isn’t your forte big guy. Weird benchmark to set, but he’s hit 40 points 4 times in his career, including his last 3 healthy seasons. He was pacing for 60+ in the shortened Covid season, so that’s 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

Maybe your reading comprehension can use some work too fella. I said toxic bottom feeder exactly once, and used it to describe a team that didn’t make the playoffs and a coach who was removed from league shortly thereafter. Seems like that’s what those words could mean right?

The whole point of the posts (which clearly went way above your head) is that there’s really no reason to tear this deal down. He’s making 3.5M in a rising cap world and we paid no assets to get him. It’s a good thing. Pipe down.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
What the hell is wrong about 20 goals for $3,500,000? Give me that for all 12 forwards and I'll win a LOT of games.

BTW, lost in all the Duclair talk is that he and Pageau killed penalties together in Ottawa, so there's a component of fixing the PK there too.

I don't think it's a guarantee he gets to 20 goals. If he fixes the PK great, but there also has been talk of moving on from JGP at various times to save money.

I don't love him or the extra year but beyond that, what's the real difference between the contract Zito signed him to and this one? He's a middle sixer and he is getting middle six money.

Actually came back from the Achilles repair and had a productive playoff run with FLA.

Without the Achilles injury, who knows what he would have done. 31 goals the first year of that contract, right?

Domi get a slightly better contract from a team that could sign anyone. I'd rather have this guy tbh.

I just think I'd like someone more consistent for the money and I think there were better options available.

Reactions: Throttle

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Perhaps adding two numbers together isn’t your forte big guy. Weird benchmark to set, but he’s hit 40 points 4 times in his career, including his last 3 healthy seasons. He was pacing for 60+ in the shortened Covid season, so that’s 4 out of the last 5 seasons.

Maybe your reading comprehension can use some work too fella. I said toxic bottom feeder exactly once, and used it to describe a team that didn’t make the playoffs and a coach who was removed from league shortly thereafter. Seems like that’s what those words could mean right?

The whole point of the posts (which clearly went way above your head) is that there’s really no reason to tear this deal down. He’s making 3.5M in a rising cap world and we paid no assets to get him. It’s a good thing. Pipe down.

Starting with the insults right away because I don't like your favorite player is cute. Funny to include "pacing" as if it was a guarantee and he's not inconsistent.

Ah, another insult to start off the new paragraph, you're on a roll.

And we are 3 for 3 in starting off a point with an insult. The sign of someone highly intelligent with important objective points and statistics.

You clearly love this guy and ignore his shortcomings and then when someone makes hockey points, you return with various insults. Pipe down? Lol. Have fun at your Mensa meeting tonight chief.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
I don't think it's a guarantee he gets to 20 goals. If he fixes the PK great, but there also has been talk of moving on from JGP at various times to save money.

I just think I'd like someone more consistent for the money and I think there were better options available.
I'm with you. I always think that when a guy bounces around there's an underlying reason as well. This may be a little different. I don't remember how long he represented himself but GMs have relationships with GMs and he didn't to the same degree for sure. The 3 year that he signed with Zito put him in a good spot but the injury derailed it. By all accounts a pretty good guy.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Starting with the insults right away because I don't like your favorite player is cute. Funny to include "pacing" as if it was a guarantee and he's not inconsistent.

Ah, another insult to start off the new paragraph, you're on a roll.

And we are 3 for 3 in starting off a point with an insult. The sign of someone highly intelligent with important objective points and statistics.

You clearly love this guy and ignore his shortcomings and then when someone makes hockey points, you return with various insults. Pipe down? Lol. Have fun at your Mensa meeting tonight chief.
Hey man, you responded to my post not the other way around. Don’t get mad because you got loud about some small numbers you couldn’t add up.

And dude, he’s not my favorite player (wonder why you’d say that?), I’m not his agent or any of that BS. Did not follow him before he got here, literally just (Accurately) reading his stats and looking into his background. Why? Because he’s an Islander now and I’m hoping he can help the team. And I think he can… bar isn’t too high around here. So if you want to hate do your thing, I’m just one of those annoying posters who likes to try and base their opinions on facts.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Hey man, you responded to my post not the other way around. Don’t get mad because you got loud about some small numbers you couldn’t add up.

And dude, he’s not my favorite player (wonder why you’d say that?), I’m not his agent or any of that BS. Did not follow him before he got here, literally just (Accurately) reading his stats and looking into his background. Why? Because he’s an Islander now and I’m hoping he can help the team. And I think he can… bar isn’t too high around here. So if you want to hate do your thing, I’m just one of those annoying posters who likes to try and base their opinions on facts.

Yes, someone who responds in a differing manner deserves to be insulted at every chance so that person proves how smart he is. I made one simple mistake and you latched on to that and spewed your child like insults without actually rebutting anything factual.

Wonder why I'd say that? LOL. Before you go down that ignorant road, I'm not what you think so shove your racially inclined stupidity. You said you were getting his jersey and how great it is because he's purportedly Haitian. Those are things that generally leads one to believe someone saying that would be a huge fan.

I posted fact based comments, you defended the guy with insults to me and focused on the minor mistake I made of 3 instead of 4.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

This year? Who?

Guys like Trenin and Foegele are getting the same amount. Skinner and Perron are older. Marchessault and Toffoli are older and getting paid more.

I just don't see a comparable that you are alluding to.

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site

You might recall most of this board were saying the same thing about Brock until he had a real coach (Trotz) , just maybe Roy can do the same for Duclair.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong

Yeah I don't know how a 4 year contract to a 28 year old guy that's been pretty productive can "age badly". I'm really happy to have the guy and think he's got 30-40 goal potential.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
This year? Who?

Guys like Trenin and Foegele are getting the same amount. Skinner and Perron are older. Marchessault and Toffoli are older and getting paid more.

I just don't see a comparable that you are alluding to.

To be fair when I'm thinking comparable, I'm not saying the same exact amount of money. And age is a part, but Toffoli and Marchessault both had consistency that could benefit the team alot more than a guy who's had a good year or two, but doesn't have the track record. $3.5 towards someone better or maybe a future free agent.

I would have loved to get Foegele and think he's a much better option.

I just don't think Duclair is the answer to the team based on what I've seen from him.

I'm not a doomer, but I don't think this is the piece that gets us out of the first round.

You might recall most of this board were saying the same thing about Brock until he had a real coach (Trotz) , just maybe Roy can do the same for Duclair.

And I hope so. I want the team to do well and having success from a new free agent can be key.

I just saw in person for the regular season and small portion of the playoffs a guy who looks like there's a reason he doesn't stay places long. He showed a flash of brilliance and disappeared. That's not what the team needs.

Yeah I don't know how a 4 year contract to a 28 year old guy that's been pretty productive can "age badly". I'm really happy to have the guy and think he's got 30-40 goal potential.

Pretty productive? Lol.

And age badly when that money could go to a difference maker in one of the next few years and we have $3.5 million tied up in a dude who isn't helping.

Green

Nov 13, 2019

there is something wrong with you, judging a guy because he played on a bunch of teams? and he has 16 points in 39 playoff games, that is hardly awful stats

Green

Nov 13, 2019
To be fair when I'm thinking comparable, I'm not saying the same exact amount of money. And age is a part, but Toffoli and Marchessault both had consistency that could benefit the team alot more than a guy who's had a good year or two, but doesn't have the track record. $3.5 towards someone better or maybe a future free agent.

I would have loved to get Foegele and think he's a much better option.

I just don't think Duclair is the answer to the team based on what I've seen from him.

I'm not a doomer, but I don't think this is the piece that gets us out of the first round.

And I hope so. I want the team to do well and having success from a new free agent can be key.

I just saw in person for the regular season and small portion of the playoffs a guy who looks like there's a reason he doesn't stay places long. He showed a flash of brilliance and disappeared. That's not what the team needs.

Pretty productive? Lol.

And age badly when that money could go to a difference maker in one of the next few years and we have $3.5 million tied up in a dude who isn't helping.
who the hell do you think is the answer, who do you think the Islanders are going to bring in to make this team a cup contender, their goal is to sneak into the playoffs again and a guy like Duclair who seems to consistently get 20+ goals and is only getting 3.5mil is an upgrade whether you realize it or not, is your bias against him because he was on multiple teams or is it for another reason?

and Foegle is a much better option? guy has 24 points in 80 playoff games and that is on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
there is something wrong with you, judging a guy because he played on a bunch of teams? and he has 16 points in 39 playoff games, that is hardly awful stats

What an odd, and fairly stupid, open to your sentence. Are you taking lessons from impact on how to have a discussion?

That being said, generally someone who is regarded as a high quality player and locker room guy doesn't bounce around that much. If you read this thread and many others about this guy, that point of contention comes up quite often.

So that means his playoff stats are .41 points per game. Let's look at some other players.

Josh Bailey was .70 PPG, Anthony Beauvillier is .56, Pavel Buchnevich is .60 PPG, Jake Debrusk is .55 PPG.

So, hardly awful also is hardly impressive.

who the hell do you think is the answer, who do you think the Islanders are going to bring in to make this team a cup contender, their goal is to sneak into the playoffs again and a guy like Duclair who seems to consistently get 20+ goals and is only getting 3.5mil is an upgrade whether you realize it or not, is your bias against him because he was on multiple teams or is it for another reason?

and Foegle is a much better option? guy has 24 points in 80 playoff games and that is on a team with McDavid and Draisaitl

4 out of 10 seasons getting 20 goals seems hardly note worthy even considered the most consecutive seasons were 2 in a row.

I do enjoy you, like your buddy impact, are suggesting that my bias has anything to do with his race. Not only is it extremely ignorant, insulting, and way off base. It's a common practice, when someone has nothing of substance to add, to imply that someone can't be critical of a person who isn't white without being a racist. Without me destroying your feeble mind too much, I'm bi-racial dickhead. Your idiotic implication is what feeds racism. You should be ashamed, but I feel you may be too stupid to be that self-aware.

I won't converse or even discuss anything further with you. Once you went that route, I'm done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad