Confirmed with Link: Islanders Sign Duclair to 4 Year Deal, $3.5M AAV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Always liked Duclair. Speed, hands, goal scoring, an underrated player. He also has an electricity to his game.

Interested to see him with Barzal.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
A few things to note about Duclair

- Speed and an incredible burst
- great one timer
- he finishes on breakaway and 1 on 1 chances ( this might be the most important thing for us.)

His speed in OT and skill in shootouts will help. They left a lot of points on the table last year.

Reactions: SI90

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Adds needed speed to lineup
He’s a middle 6, ideally a third line guy
Would’ve liked 3 years, but the money is ok
Debrusk,s game translates better for playoffs, maybe that’s why he got the term he got?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
He’s a massive upgrade on our bottom-6 and a serviceable player in the top-6.

Where else are you going to find that for 3.5M AAV without giving up significant assets?

The minors...except we've largely ignored the draft since Lou got here and thus we have nothing.

I want a rebuild, but clearly we're not getting it. So we will run essentially the same team back and management will sell Roy for a full year & a hopefully better Sorokin as being the difference.

I'm sure Duclair is a useful player. But he's not the guy who puts us over the top. We're about 4 players away from being a cup contender, and considering we have nothing to trade for, and no top talent ever signs here as a FA, we are destined to be mediocre at best, missing the playoffs at worst, not nearly bad enough for the lottery.

We're in no mans land. Can't win a cup, and we aren't in a good draft position to dramatically improve.

Simply put, Lou's gotta go.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm thinking they try Barzal-Horvat-Duclair in preseason, but Barzal is going to have to be more responsible defensively for it to work.
Seems like the type of player who scores on the rush...probably not a fit there with Barzal's enter the zone and play keep away for awhile. I'm guessing he was brought in to do what Engvall was supposed to do. This will push Engvall down the lineup if he can find the back of the net more than tall fast guy who doesn't hit.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
The minors...except we've largely ignored the draft since Lou got here and thus we have nothing.

I want a rebuild, but clearly we're not getting it. So we will run essentially the same team back and management will sell Roy for a full year & a hopefully better Sorokin as being the difference.

I'm sure Duclair is a useful player. But he's not the guy who puts us over the top. We're about 4 players away from being a cup contender, and considering we have nothing to trade for, and no top talent ever signs here as a FA, we are destined to be mediocre at best, missing the playoffs at worst, not nearly bad enough for the lottery.

We're in no mans land. Can't win a cup, and we aren't in a good draft position to dramatically improve.

Simply put, Lou's gotta go.

A rebuild like the Sabres or Detroit? f*** that I want nothing to do with 10 years of miserable hockey. You don’t rebuild when you have Sorokin, Barzal, and Dobson all in their prime.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
He’s a massive upgrade on our bottom-6 and a serviceable player in the top-6.

Where else are you going to find that for 3.5M AAV without giving up significant assets?
Engvall signed for $3M x 7 years with a third round pick to acquire him.

The Duclair deal is pure gold in comparison.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
I’m Haitian so this is basically an instant jersey buy for me. I’m also Jewish so it’s actually crazy we drafted a (presumably) Jewish kid #1 and then signed a Haitian guy in FA. Doesn’t usually happen!

Seems like he thrives creating breakaways for himself and burying one timers. Is it crazy to think that the optimal spot for him might be with Pageau? They’ve played on a line together before, and from the clips I watched it seems like he’s more of a chance creator than beneficiary..: might even elevate Pageau back to a palatable level

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
All of his goals for SJ came off the rush and most of his goals for Tampa came off of puck movement in the zone. If he gets a shot in the top six he will score 30 this year.
He’s paced for 27+ his last three healthy seasons (over 5 years). He’s not old and he’s playing with a coach who knows him well. I think 30 is a perfectly reasonable prediction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad