Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
According to Staple, LL is shopping to upgrade the roster —D, 2C—to be competitive next year.

Well see.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
According to Staple, LL is shopping to upgrade the roster —D, 2C—to be competitive next year.

Well see.
We still have the assets. When you have our current pipeline, you can trade a second rounder for a #4 dman you like and not ruin your lottery pick and enjoy your re-tool.

I just can't think of the names out there. I'd imagine Nelson is expendable, he's the piece to trade for a dman. To replace him though you'd have to get a top 9 forward and that's going to cost a good asset since there's no one good on the market or you get a less than stellar piece.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Our real issue is our 2nd line. And to drill down a little further, its really our 2nd line Center. Despite all the drama and tank talk, we really are in need of only 2 players....a #2C and a 2nd pairing LD. And if nothing else, our PP kill should be dramatically better both with personnel AND coaching. Not sure we needed to add Filpula AND Komarov, but that's where we are now so so be it.
I really think Bailey may be our 2nd line center. He's a great passer. That would give us 2 great passers on out top 2 lines. Beauvillier and Eberle on a line with Barzal. Lee and Nelson on a line with Bailey. Mix and match until you find the perfect combos. But the 1st two lines shouldn't be an issue scoring wise. 3rd and 4th lines very competitive.

Reactions: IODCPiper and dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Rags vs. Tavares, who ya got?

Man....I never thought it would even be a debate. Unless the Rags winning would put the Isles in the playoffs, I'd never dream I'd be rooting for the Rags against anyone. And its tougher because the Rags are going nowhere this year so that win doesn't mean much to them while I hope Pajama Boy falls flat on his face.

In short - I'm hoping for a flash flood in the arena.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
We still have the assets. When you have our current pipeline, you can trade a second rounder for a #4 dman you like and not ruin your lottery pick and enjoy your re-tool.

I just can't think of the names out there. I'd imagine Nelson is expendable, he's the piece to trade for a dman. To replace him though you'd have to get a top 9 forward and that's going to cost a good asset since there's no one good on the market or you get a less than stellar piece.

I think we have the assets to trade for one quality player...without leaving the cupboard too bare. Whether that's Tyler Johnson, Matt Duchene or an analgous top 4 Dman. If we start trading for both of those positions, I think we are giving up too much of our future stock for the short term. I doubt we are getting a top 4 Dman for a 2nd rounder though. For a guy like Tyler Johnson, I'm guessing we need to give up Brock and a first rounder. Or maybe one of our D prospects and a second rounder.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The one thing that will be evident this year - every team will look to be real physical against the Leafs. They've obviously got a lot of talent but they are as soft as any team around. I'm not just talking goons/fighters. There isn't really anyone that plays with any physicality. While obviously the game has been more focused on speed/skill, I suspect teams will make it a point to up the physicality when playing them. Either the Leafs play their game, ignore and continually get pasted or they veer from what they do best and get knocked off their game.

We've seen it at times when teams went after Johnny Pajamas. And when that happens, is Mitchy Marner gonna drop the gloves to protect his Captain?

They don't even have Roman Polak to do the bidding over there, Babcock always has softer teams

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Man....I never thought it would even be a debate. Unless the Rags winning would put the Isles in the playoffs, I'd never dream I'd be rooting for the Rags against anyone. And its tougher because the Rags are going nowhere this year so that win doesn't mean much to them while I hope Pajama Boy falls flat on his face.

In short - I'm hoping for a flash flood in the arena.

Lol. I reluctantly pick Blue & White over Blue & Red. Hating a uniform outweighs hating one player.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Well see.

As he should be, if this team is doing a "retool" to compete in 2-3 seasons, we still need a 2nd line center and top pairing Defensemen. We have no pure centers in the organization that project to be ready for such an assignment and it is unrealistic to think we will draft one that will be ready for 2nd line duty immediately.

I think we just need to be careful who we trade to get those pieces. I don't think Lou would trade next years 1st to fill a hole now but you never know.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The one thing that will be evident this year - every team will look to be real physical against the Leafs. They've obviously got a lot of talent but they are as soft as any team around. I'm not just talking goons/fighters. There isn't really anyone that plays with any physicality. While obviously the game has been more focused on speed/skill, I suspect teams will make it a point to up the physicality when playing them. Either the Leafs play their game, ignore and continually get pasted or they veer from what they do best and get knocked off their game.

We've seen it at times when teams went after Johnny Pajamas. And when that happens, is Mitchy Marner gonna drop the gloves to protect his Captain?
I fear our defensive guys won't plaster him. I hope I'm wrong.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011

Well see.

We need stability, and I find it hard to see how the Isles can improve the roster enough to become a contender without giving up our future. I'm worried that Lou is going to trade away some of our top prospects and high draft picks for overpaid veterans who only will work as a quick fix. I'd like the Isles to build through the draft. Tank for one season, draft in the top 5 and strike gold. I guess that at least one of Hughes, Turcotte or Newhook will be avaliable in the top 5 - and than our center problem is solved.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I think we have the assets to trade for one quality player...without leaving the cupboard too bare. Whether that's Tyler Johnson, Matt Duchene or an analgous top 4 Dman. If we start trading for both of those positions, I think we are giving up too much of our future stock for the short term. I doubt we are getting a top 4 Dman for a 2nd rounder though. For a guy like Tyler Johnson, I'm guessing we need to give up Brock and a first rounder. Or maybe one of our D prospects and a second rounder.

TJ would be a cap dump, he’ll come cheaper.

Isle1966

Nov 18, 2003
I would be OK if LL is done dealing and we go into the season with what we have. Other than Nelson and a MVS or Aho for a top 4 D-man I really do not want to lose any of our top young prospects. Bailey and AB should be playing a lot of Center in Exhibition games to see if we have a 2C in house otherwise let us wait for a salary casualty or FA next off season to try and fill the void. Otherwise we should use this season as an evaluation season for LL and BT to see what we have and who we keep moving forward.

Reactions: IODCPiper and dood

mdubs585

Jan 15, 2018
Manhattan, New York
I really think Bailey may be our 2nd line center. He's a great passer. That would give us 2 great passers on out top 2 lines. Beauvillier and Eberle on a line with Barzal. Lee and Nelson on a line with Bailey. Mix and match until you find the perfect combos. But the 1st two lines shouldn't be an issue scoring wise. 3rd and 4th lines very competitive.

It makes sense but unless we make a move, we're so loaded at center--and by loaded, I suppose I mean cluttered--that we can't afford to move Bailey there.

I currently (sadly) have it:
Lee - Barzal - Bailey
Eberle - Filppula - Beauvillier
Ladd - Komarov - Nelson
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck.

As the roster stands, I don't see a scenario where Komarov and Filppula aren't center, and certainly Barzal and Cizikas aren't being moved. One of the most important elements of their value is they are good on faceoffs.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Not sure to be honest. Reportedly his defensive game has been inconsistent. Not sure if that would be the right fit for the Isles.

Also not sure why Skinner is available. In that case I’m guessing they don’t like where contract negotiations are going. Seems why they moved Hanifin and Lindholm.
Their new owner doesn't even want to pay the radio play by play guy. To save money, he's considering simulcasting TV.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
If I have to pick one area to upgrade, I am selecting 2C. Just because I think it wouldn't be the worst to use this coming year to sort out what we have on defense and get the roster players some time to acclimate into a better system.

Take a good long look at Pelech, Mayfield, Toews, Aho, MVS, etc. behind Leddy, Boychuk, Pulock and Hickey. I think Mayfield is just a depth/rotational player but if Pelech or say Toews can be more, then with Dobson and maybe Quenneville on the horizon, the Isles could really have something.

And with the strength of the team and system brimming with wingers, a quality center seems like the biggest need right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad