GDT: Islanders @ Devils - 7:00 PM - MSG

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I'm guessing Timo or Dillon (from the fight) might be out just because they both legit got into a situation where they either DID get hurt, or looked like they got dinged.

Timo was flexing that leg that fell back in a weird spot... I know he played after and looked not too bothered, but ya never know....

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Misyul back to Utica. So at least Luke is presumably in since we sent the lefty back down.

Wonder if Dillon is banged up from the hit and fight.

I get them doing some load management here with a back-to-back and then another game on Sunday. No sense in running everyone into the ground in October with this bullshit schedule.

Reactions: My3Sons

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
literally nobody who is calling for his firing can answer this question, which makes it extra hilarious.
I find it funny too. These are professionals with plenty of coaching behind them. One guy giving them some drills and positioning advice aren't changing their reaction times, rebound control, etc. It would be like Tiger Woods blaming his caddy for not making the cut. Can he be not helping them? Sure, but he isn't actively hurting them by making them play a system in net. Positioning, vision, reactions - you either have them or you don't and a coach may impact that at most psychologically but practically not enough to counter any luck factor. I'd still can him just to get a fresh vibe in the staff but I'm not hanging losses on the goalie coach unless he's making them change equipment or catch with the opposite hand.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Someone's gotta take the fall!
1729883714200.png

Somehow this guy is involved. I feel it.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
View attachment 921514

Somehow this guy is involved. I feel it.

Yayo? Blame Yayo?

Yeah I can see it, he was the king of low-event hockey, and so if he was playing, we wouldn't be having all this high-event zone play causing goaltender/defensive nightmares today. It is his fault he retired and now we have to play high-event hockey.

Surely we can find a role for him to coach the guys how to be defensively sound while not able to score. He was one of the best at that.

I remember rooting so hard for him just to get a goal, and getting 1 goal in 15 games was heroic.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Who the f*** scheduled Islanders-Devils to be the same night as the Yankees in the World Series?

I might try to start a "Let's Go Mets" chant during the game just to prove only Mets fans are attending this one. If I was a Yankees fan, there's no way I'd be going to a hockey game tonight.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
literally nobody who is calling for his firing can answer this question, which makes it extra hilarious.
By that standard we can never call for anyone’s firing…we don’t know what negotiations Fitz has with other GM’s and agents. We don’t know what Lindy tells these guys in the locker room.

I mean we’ve only had three constants here when a dozen plus different goalies have all gone through the meat grinder - Rogalski, Fitz and Marty. You aren’t firing the third and the second is going to get axed anyway if this team disappoints again. Considering his position and results have constantly been worse than the other assistants who’ve come and gone, it’s more glaring he survives three or four different staffs with the goalies still sucking. At some point someone’s gotta be held accountable for the goalies sucking and I’d rather off the position coach before Fitz - though they can both be gone if this team goes splat again.

Either way someone has to get blamed at the end of the day, either the guy picking the goalies or the one coaching them.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean at some point you have to wonder why he's survived when everyone else on the coaching staff has been replaced. It seems fishy to say the least.

But at the end of the day: Jakub Markstrom is the one on the ice, Jakub Markstrom is the one who doesn't have the right positioning, Jakub Markstrom is the one giving out rebounds. That's not Rogalski's fault, Markstrom is 100% responsible for his own performance.

He's 34 years old, not a helpless wee little baby. Markstrom knows how to be a goalie. He shouldn't get ruined by listening to bad advice from a guy he just met.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I mean we’ve only had three constants here when a dozen plus different goalies have all gone through the meat grinder - Rogalski, Fitz and Marty. You aren’t firing the third and the second is going to get axed anyway if this team disappoints again. Considering his position is even worse than the other assistants who’ve come and gone it’s more glaring he survives three or four different staffs with the goalies still sucking. At some point someone’s gotta be held accountable for the goalies sucking and I’d rather off the position coach before Fitz - though they can both be gone if this team goes splat again.

Either way someone has to get blamed at the end of the day, either the guy picking the goalies or the one coaching them.
i don't really disagree with much of that. but just to reiterate- nobody can answer the question lol. seeing the usual smoothbrain posting pictures he took from a GDT with 0 context 10 games into the season implicating rogalski is to blame- without understanding what the hell he even does- is the cherry on top. i just find it funny.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
i don't really disagree with much of that. but just to reiterate- nobody can answer the question lol. seeing the usual smoothbrain posting pictures he took from a GDT with 0 context 10 games into the season implicating rogalski is to blame- without understanding what the hell he even does- is the cherry on top. i just find it funny.
Blame probably isn’t the right word, but if every guy shows up here and has one of the worst years of his career, then obviously he isn’t helping. That being the case, he’s not doing his job and should be kicked to the curb.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I might try to start a "Let's Go Mets" chant during the game just to prove only Mets fans are attending this one. If I was a Yankees fan, there's no way I'd be going to a hockey game tonight.

Theres still plenty of us who don't care about baseball! Lol

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Didn't take long before my excitement levels for this team plummeted once again. Usually they last at least to mid November. Expecting a big embarrasing loss cause apparently that's what this team and fanbase deserves. Hopefully someone bumps all those pre season threads started by non-devils fans, so I can read what a sad sack of shit I am for calling them to win 10+ stanley cups in a row.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I find it funny too. These are professionals with plenty of coaching behind them. One guy giving them some drills and positioning advice aren't changing their reaction times, rebound control, etc. It would be like Tiger Woods blaming his caddy for not making the cut. Can he be not helping them? Sure, but he isn't actively hurting them by making them play a system in net. Positioning, vision, reactions - you either have them or you don't and a coach may impact that at most psychologically but practically not enough to counter any luck factor. I'd still can him just to get a fresh vibe in the staff but I'm not hanging losses on the goalie coach unless he's making them change equipment or catch with the opposite hand.

I think it's more that people want him gone because our goaltending history under him has not been good and we've had like 50 goalies

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What I find doubly funny is that people literally thought an assistant was running the team two years ago, but suddenly this guy who's been on the staff for the last several years isn't even important enough to care about.

Unfortunately, in the end we know why Rogalski has remained through staff after staff and that reason isn't getting fired anytime soon. Which is why I don't usually bother joining in the chorus, it's like ****ing in the wind. I'm just astonished people think he doesn't have any impact at all.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
What I find doubly funny is that people literally thought an assistant was running the team two years ago, but suddenly this guy who's on the staff isn't important enough to care about.

Neither really makes sense.

The more likely situation is Fitz and his team are really bad at scouting and evaluating goalies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
By that standard we can never call for anyone’s firing…we don’t know what negotiations Fitz has with other GM’s and agents. We don’t know what Lindy tells these guys in the locker room.

I mean we’ve only had three constants here when a dozen plus different goalies have all gone through the meat grinder - Rogalski, Fitz and Marty. You aren’t firing the third and the second is going to get axed anyway if this team disappoints again. Considering his position and results have constantly been worse than the other assistants who’ve come and gone, it’s more glaring he survives three or four different staffs with the goalies still sucking. At some point someone’s gotta be held accountable for the goalies sucking and I’d rather off the position coach before Fitz - though they can both be gone if this team goes splat again.

It's a shame because I think Fitz is a good gm

Neither really makes sense.

The more likely situation is Fitz and his team are really bad at scouting and evaluating goalies.

Fitz is most likely getting a significant input about goalies from Marty. There has been a lot of supporting evidence to this

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah, I’m sure Rogalski is not singlehandedly causing goalies to suck once they’re wearing a Devils sweater, that said, there hasn’t been a goalie who has even looked league average for any extended period of time. I guess Vitek for like 80% of a season…but we know how that ended. Maybe it’s the fundamentals with Rogalski, maybe it’s not. Maybe he’s just not a great motivator or does not instill confidence in his goalies. Who knows. All we know is that he’s been here forever and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think maybe a new voice is needed there.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Didn't take long before my excitement levels for this team plummeted once again. Usually they last at least to mid November. Expecting a big embarrasing loss cause apparently that's what this team and fanbase deserves. Hopefully someone bumps all those pre season threads started by non-devils fans, so I can read what a sad sack of shit I am for calling them to win 10+ stanley cups in a row.

This is the game we want to win. Last night was last night. We have a lot to be thankful for, like Sheldon Keefe and his track record. I don't know about Sheldon Keefe and the future, but we have a better head coach this season. My 2 cents.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Misyul back to Utica. So at least Luke is presumably in since we sent the lefty back down.

I get them doing some load management here with a back-to-back and then another game on Sunday. No sense in running everyone into the ground in October with this bullshit schedule.

Wouldn't be surprised if Dillon fractured his hand during the fight. Looked like he was favoring it immediately after.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

The way he went done on the initial hit was kind of scary. Sort of just slumped over, thought he was out on his feet.

But if it was Dillon why would they send a lefty down?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I'm just astonished people think he doesn't have any impact at all.
what is he doing that’s having a negative effect? we’re not talking about teenage goalies here, markstrom is about to be 35 years old.

i’m not even ready to call goaltending a problem yet this year, i think for once it’s a multifaceted issue as guys learn where they’re supposed to be situationally.

the constant complaining about a goalie coach of all things is just so ridiculous. if management (who actually knows what the guy is doing) wants to keep him, i think i’ll go with that. clearly they don’t see him as a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad