Post-Game Talk: Islanders 4, Penguins 3 - Well That Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Yep. Fairly certain that most fanbases would say “Hey, that guy might not be good.” Not here. Everyone, EVERYTHING is at fault, EXCEPT the goalie!

Yeah, because our team defense, bad pinching, and position play is really really good.
Guess what. Jarry needs to play better. DeSmith needs to play better.
Our Defense needs to play better.
Our Offense needs to play better.

When we play f***ing bad... we really play bad.

upload_2021-2-7_19-23-25.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-24-31.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-26-43.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-27-25.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-29-11.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-30-20.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-32-16.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-33-25.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-35-16.png

upload_2021-2-7_19-35-55.png

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Yeah, because our team defense, bad pinching, and position play is really really good.
Guess what. Jarry needs to play better. DeSmith needs to play better.
Our Defense needs to play better.
Our Offense needs to play better.

When we play f***ing bad... we really playCH]

View attachment 393901

View attachment 393902

View attachment 393907

View attachment 393908

View attachment 393909

Jeebus, you care too much posting all those pics.

And not once did I say goaltending was the only issue. Simply saying it’s been bad. So has pretty much everything else.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Oh and my favorite 3 v 5 defense of the night... Notice 2 ISLES at the BLUELINE. We can't even defend at 5 v 3 some times...

upload_2021-2-7_19-48-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-2-7_19-45-30.png
    upload_2021-2-7_19-45-30.png
    614.9 KB · Views: 3

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Jeebus, you care too much posting all those pics.

And not once did I say goaltending was the only issue. Simply saying it’s been bad. So has pretty much everything else.

I don't care too much, I just dislike "alternative" facts.

"Simply saying it's been bad." is what everyone else has said too, hyperbole aside.

As you can in both cases Jarry and DeSmith. There was one picture where the goal had any defenders in the right spot.

Also, I didn't account for the additional 2-5 more high danger saves they do make.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020

"Simply saying it's been bad." is what everyone else has said too, hyperbole aside.

As you can in both cases Jarry and DeSmith. There was one picture where the goal had any defenders in the right spot.

Also, I didn't account for the additional 2-5 more high danger saves they do make.

Blaming Letang or singling out any other individual at this point is also pointless. Basically, 2-3 shifts a period the entire team will play f***ing catastrophically bad. As you can see from the last 3 games, it's led to multiple easy tap-ins. Everyone is at fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oh and my favorite 3 v 5 defense of the night... Notice 2 ISLES at the BLUELINE. We can't even defend at 5 v 3 some times...

View attachment 393913

Exactly what I said about Sid over persuing and he and Kap being shoulder to shoulder while the puck was being shot for the goal.

Hilarious... I wonder what both were thinking at that point in time...

Kap to Sid: "You took all the questions in the interview, I don't think you need to take my defensive ice position, too! You got this question after the game?"

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Ultimately barring a turnaround at this point the haters have the stats on their side with xGA and HDCA. Personally I think something is like, wrong with those stats or it isn't capturing the sheer sucktitude of the Penguins entire defensive system and PK. But I don't know. I don't think I've ever had my eye test as far off the fancy stats as the ones that say we are in the middle of the pack in xGA.

But the stats are what they are and so until we put up a 2 or a 1 or (gawd forbid) a 0 people can justifiably complain about TJ and CDS.

It is what it is.

One thing I'll say: fix the PK immediately. The only reason that game was close was that there was only 1 Powerplay chance.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Ultimately barring a turnaround at this point the haters have the stats on their side with xGA and HDCA. Personally I think something is like, wrong with those stats or it isn't capturing the sheer sucktitude of the Penguins entire defensive system and PK. But I don't know. I don't think I've ever had my eye test as far off the fancy stats as the ones that say we are in the middle of the pack in xGA.

But the stats are what they are and so until we put up a 2 or a 1 or (gawd forbid) a 0 people can justifiably complain about TJ and CDS.

It is what it is.

One thing I'll say: fix the PK immediately. The only reason that game was close was that there was only 1 Powerplay chance.

.882 and .857 are not exactly the dream tandem right now. The facts are shown above. Maybe one Desmith goal was contested by our defense... the rest :help:

I would love for either Goalie to stop an extra one or two but I would also love for a Defensemen to clear the crease or at least be in the crease.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
.882 and .857 are not exactly the dream tandem right now. The facts are shown above. Maybe one Desmith goal was contested by our defense... the rest :help:

I would love for either of them to stop an extra one or two but I would also love for a Defensemen to clear the crease or at least be in the crease.

Goalies gotta steal games. Murray did it in '17-'18 when we really weren't that good at times. He did it again during midseason '18-'19. Jarry stole some games early last year.

I don't know how to explain it. The fancy stats say we're OK defensively but the eye test says we suck at defense and our PK has adopted a "collapse + 1 guy" philosophy to presumably prevent cross-ice passes (which they can never actually prevent). But so long as the analytics say we're decent and we keep giving up 4+ I guess I'll trust them. I typically am not a huge believer in advanced analytics but I do like HDC and xG so I'll give credence to the idea that goaltending is the team's biggest problem - even if my gut tells me that isn't true.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Word your responses in any way that will fit your narrative. I’m not sure what you’re referring to as “alternative facts.” I gave an opinion that the Penguins goaltending has been poor. Your response, well, I’m not really sure it’s anything than furthering your defense of the goaltending and criticizing of the team’s D and structure. Which you’ve already done.

Again, I’m just not understanding how some here refuse to admit (or simply don’t think) this team has a fairly substantial goaltending problem right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, for the millionth time, both of these things can be true:

1. Jarry is not individually responsible for any goal against
2. Jarry can still be playing like shit despite not being individually responsible for any goal against

It's really not that hard people. If Jarry gives up 5 goals on 10 breakaway shots, when the league average is only 3 goals on 10 breakaway shots, he's doing a shitty job. If you can hand wave any goal that comes off of a defensive mistake as not Jarry's fault, he shouldn't be their starting goalie and they shouldn't be paying him what he's making. If you want a goalie who can make all of the easy stops while giving up all of the dangerous chances, you can get that from an AHL goalie. Hell, you can probably even get that from a juniors or college goalie too.

This really just emphasizes how bad Penguins fans are with evaluating goalies. A goalie doesn't need to be letting in 2013 Fleury-esque goals against to be playing badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad