Is Tuukka Rask a TOP 10 goalie in this league?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Based on success & stats for the last 5 years, I'd consider the top 5 to be:

1) Rask
2) Lundqvist
3) Rinne
4) Bobrovsky
5) Schneider

I'd place the traditional choices of Quick right outside the top 5 and Price just barely in top 10.

Lol please tell me the other guys you think are better than Price so I can laugh some more :laugh:

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Based on success & stats for the last 5 years, I'd consider the top 5 to be:

1) Rask
2) Lundqvist
3) Rinne
4) Bobrovsky
5) Schneider

I'd place the traditional choices of Quick right outside the top 5 and Price just barely in top 10.

Yup. We have already known Price is overrated.:shakehead

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
He still is. Lundqvist has had his share of bad stretches and always bounces back

For the person who said Lundqvist has always had a dominant defense, you're dead wrong

I still think it's

Lundqvist/Quick
Price/Rinne
Rask

As top 5

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
question should be top 5.
He is slipping out now that he is exposed, I'm starting to think Big Bob may be better, and i know hank, quick, rinne, and Price are better

JackTheTulip

Aug 10, 2008
Montreal
What? He is TERRIBLE. Go look at every devils GDT this season, he just sucks. Looks good one game then terrible the next two.

He has decent stats but the devils are a good defensive team, just a poor offensive one. His stats are very average and there are other goalies who are much much better.

Also he has not been a number 1 goaltender for those 5 years. He had 25 starts to Price's 72 in 2010-11 and 33 to Price's 65 the year after.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
including this season Price has 3 .920%+ seasons under his belt in the last 5 years, 2 of them being .925%+. He was also by far the best goalie in the Olympics and won a gold medal.. just barely a top 10 goalie tho :sarcasm:
hes also doing all of this at an age where most of those guys just started being notable NHL goalies.

up until last season Schneider wasnt even a #1 goalie for his team..

I mean, by far is exaggerated it can certainly be argued he was the best though. However, would've been really difficult to not put up the best stats behind that defense.

JackTheTulip

Aug 10, 2008
Montreal
How fickle you are, HF.

Actually it depends on your definition of Top 5.
Is it top 5 goaltenders you would rather have on your team going forward? Then Rask is top 5.
Top 5 goaltenders at the moment? Rask probably isn't near the top 5.
Top 5 active goaltenders in terms of career stats, achievements and performance? Rask is top 5.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
They finished the season with close stats last year. .7 % less Sv% for Bernier. Rask has the best defense in the east in front of him, leafs allowed the most shots in team history.

But keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better..

This year their stats are very very close.

Just to clarify, the Bruins did not have the best defense in the east last year, espeically with Seidenberg hurt, it was the weakness of the team.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just to clarify, the Bruins did not have the best defense in the east last year, espeically with Seidenberg hurt, it was the weakness of the team.

Yes but team defense was still the strongest. Bergeron Chara alone can shut down most teams top 2 lines. Then they had a strong D core even with the injury and lots of good two way forwards.

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Yes, probably top 5. He's had a rough season along with the whole team so far. He's had plenty of nights where he's played very well but the team has let him down and vice versa to be fair

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I respected him EXTREMELY LOT before this season. The thing is that we might be getting a better idea about him now, when Bruins´ D is not dominant anymore (Boychuk is not there, Chara & Seids are declining). Rask is suddenly having his share of problems.

I had a discussion with my hockey friends and we were really torn on this one. The question is very simple. Do you think that he´s a TOP10 goalie in the NHL?

Personally, I still respect him a lot, but I´m starting to have some doubts.. Even Svedberg looks competitive to him right now.

Its to bad you had to choose such an awesome movie/character for your username...

I dont know how this is even a question. Without a doubt he's a Top 10 goalie. He's a Top 5 goalie for that matter. The only goalies you can easily take over Rask are Rinne, Lundqvist, and Quick.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Its to bad you had to choose such an awesome movie/character for your username...

I dont know how this is even a question. Without a doubt he's a Top 10 goalie. He's a Top 5 goalie for that matter. The only goalies you can easily take over Rask are Rinne, Lundqvist, and Quick.

In another word. Rask is better than Price. Really Price is way way underrated around here.:shakehead

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Yes but team defense was still the strongest. Bergeron Chara alone can shut down most teams top 2 lines. Then they had a strong D core even with the injury and lots of good two way forwards.

As good as they are it takes more than 2 players to shut down a top 6. They did have committed forwards and Bergeron yes, but once you get past Chara Boychuk it wasn't a strong dcore (with Seidenberg injured), very inexperienced, made quite a few errors nightly.

JS91

May 14, 2014
Yes, without a doubt. The only goalies in the league that are clearly better than him are Quick, Rinne and Lunqvist. After that it's personal preference. I personally have him in top 5 and it's gonna take a lot more than bad 30 games to make me drop him from there.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
1) Lundqvist (for now)
2) Rinne
3) Rask
4) Quick
5) Price
HM: Luongo

Top 5 on my list.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Bernier at his best is as good as Rask at his worst, I have no doubt about that but Rask has not played very many games at his best this season. I think he will most likely have a better remainder of the season than he did at the start.
Would very well disagree with that.
What's with people always gassing up Bernier. The guy is overrated and far from you 5, let's leave it at that and never revisit that discussion. As for Rask, he is still a top 5 in my books, despite the habs dominating him everytime

1) Nobody said he's top 5. Your making stuff up from people who are trying have to discussion.
2) Overated because he's a leaf? Ok.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Would very well disagree with that.

1) Nobody said he's top 5. Your making stuff up from people who are trying have to discussion.
2) Overated because he's a leaf? Ok.

1) From the Carey Price thread...a few people were saying if Price is top 5 then so is Bernier.
2) Overrated because he's getting over hyped. Ok.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He's still top 5 i'd argue. Inconsistency aside, he's still had quite a few games where he's bailed the Bruins out. Last night would be a good example.

This is the same board the proclaimed Lundqvist's demise after he had the rough stretch last season.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
1) From the Carey Price thread...a few people were saying if Price is top 5 then so is Bernier.
2) Overrated because he's getting over hyped. Ok.

So because few people said he's in the top 5 that means he's overrated? Leafs have the biggest fanbase, of course there are going to be people who say that. Just like how some of your people think Subban is one of the best defenseman in the league, but I wouldn't call him overrated. If I were you, I would just ignore them. Also, Bernier barely gets any thread on the mainboard, and no one put him near the top 10 in the league at the start of the season, so he barely gets hyped unless you visit the leafs board.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I agree with 3-5 but I'd switch 1 and 2

Rinne and Lundqvist are pretty close. I gave Lundqvist the edge because his numbers in the past 5 years are better and he's a clutch goaltender. But, there is no doubt that Rinne is having the better year which is why I said it's Lundqvist for now. There is barely any gap between those two, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad