Is this Kirby Dach's Year? (BBD Watch)

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I was just thinking how HOT Kirby Dach was looking this year, thank you for putting my thoughts to words OP

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dach has a nasty side of him that I love. He certainly wont be pushed around and now and in the future, a lot of teammates with bad dandruff.

I not only expect a breakout year in the 70 point range, well within his talent level, he may challenge Suzuki as our 1C. I'm good with having him and Suzuki as a 1C pairing that push each other.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
ACL + MCL surgery ain't easy to bounce back from. Most of the year/offseason would have been dedicated to trying to get back to the same level physically as he was at the start of last season. I would anticipate it is going to take Dach a few months of actual game action to get back to where he is feeling comfortable.

I mean they are not the same player but Connor Brown had an ACL tear around the same time in 2022 (Oct 2022 Brown vs Dach Oct 2023). Brown looked like a different player for the Oilers towards the end of last season. Wouldn't surprise me if Dach had a slow start and ramped up towards the end of the season.

Hockey Talking Papa

Jan 12, 2024
I completely agree Mr. Satan! And as a 23 year old, he’ll only get taller and bigger!! If he can get up to 6 feet 6 inches and a weight of about 240 pounds, he’ll really bring that Big Boy Decade (BBD) energy that the Montreal hockey team needs!!! Hopefully he will fight more too.

Kirby Dach is on the verge of a stellar breakout year, and it couldn't come at a better time. After dealing with more injuries than a piñata at a kids' birthday party, Dach's finally primed to show everyone what he's made of. Welcome to the Big Boy Decade (BBD), where size matters, and Dach's got plenty of it. He's spent the off-season pumping iron and sharpening his skills, looking more like a tank on skates than ever before.

But it's not just about the brawn; Dach's mental game has leveled up too. After fighting through injury setbacks, he's developed the resilience of a rubber band and the focus of a cat watching a laser pointer. With a newfound confidence and a supportive team backing him up, he's geared up to dazzle fans and leave opponents in the dust. This is Kirby Dach's year to shine in the BBD, and he's about to make the hockey world sit up and take notice with a blend of power, skill, and a sprinkle of sheer determination. Get ready for a season where Dach is the name on everyone's lips—just make sure you spell it right!

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
If he's made out of glass, does he really want to be showing people what he's made of?

That arm injury was awful, btw.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I really like this guy. Has all the tools but can't stay healthy. I'm really hoping for a healthy year. If he plays 82 he should get at least 50 points and as much as 70 in a second line role. Fingers crossed. We're rooting for him.

Reactions: HabsAddict

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
2022-23 big guy. Monahan helped Dach a lot. Dach had 38 points in 58 games.
Yes, in 2022-2023 Kirby Dach and Sean Monahan played 45 minutes together 5v5.

They did play together for 54 minutes on the power play though

Shockingly, they looked good together when the other team only had 4 players on the ice. (and actually, they produced an xGoal differential of +6.25/60 on the PP together, which would rank 25th in the league among power plays that year)

Kirby Dach had 18 points 5v5, good for 259th among forwards that year, (or 281st in points/60)

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
OP might be right. With a little luck he might break 40 points.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Yes, in 2022-2023 Kirby Dach and Sean Monahan played 45 minutes together 5v5.

They did play together for 54 minutes on the power play though

Shockingly, they looked good together when the other team only had 4 players on the ice. (and actually, they produced an xGoal differential of +6.25/60 on the PP together, which would rank 25th in the league among power plays that year)

Kirby Dach had 18 points 5v5, good for 259th among forwards that year, (or 281st in points/60)
If you want to limit Monahan's impact to "45 minutes" of 5-on-5 go ahead. They played 20 plus games together. Sat beside one another on the bench. They practised together everyday. The impact was noticeable and certainly more than minimizing it to 45 minutes.

It's a pivotal year for Kirby. No question. If he can't have a healthy season, his future as a top 6 player with the club fills with doubt.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I give him 25 games before he’s out for the season again
13bd6c9a-cfde-44c2-b4ab-70f87bbefcd7_text.gif

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If you want to limit Monahan's impact to "45 minutes" of 5-on-5 go ahead. They played 20 plus games together. Sat beside one another on the bench. They practised together everyday. The impact was noticeable and certainly more than minimizing it to 45 minutes.

It's a pivotal year for Kirby. No question. If he can't have a healthy season, his future as a top 6 player with the club fills with doubt.
Except the claim was "Dach and Monahan looked really good together". And I am pointing out how little the sample size of them playing together actually was.

They played less than 1 games worth together. Tiny tiny sample size

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
He's made out of glass, so probably not.

If he could've kept relatively injury free since being drafted, I'd have felt better about his chances. But even if he played all 82 games this season, not sure he'd look amazing doing it; you don't usually see guys go from missing an entire season to coming back and playing a full level or two better than what they were prior to the injury.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Amazing how bad luck is now "made out of glass".

I had a freak accident and spent last week in the hospital. Nobody who knows me from childhood would ever claim that I'm fragile (including massive Greek style, rifle butt in the head riots) yet shit happens.

A more realistic question, have his injuries created a phycological issue? THAT is a valid question and can be a huge comeback barrier. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HabzSauce

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Predicting injuries/health is a fools errand, but if he's healthy, people will start to remember why he was such a highly touted prospect.

I thinks fans have understandably forgotten about him. He's a prime candidate for a "surprise" breakout.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I had a freak accident and spent last week in the hospital. Nobody who knows me from childhood would ever claim that I'm fragile (including massive Greek style, rifle butt in the head riots) yet shit happens.

A more realistic question, have his injuries created a phycological issue? THAT is a valid question and can be a huge comeback barrier.
The bottom line is that he's missed a lot of hockey over the years. That doesn't mean he's going to miss a lot more in the coming years but he definitely needs a nice healthy year.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Wouldn't be surprised if he and Guhle crashed into each other during their first shift and then managed to both miss the rest of the season.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018

A more realistic question, have his injuries created a phycological issue? THAT is a valid question and can be a huge comeback barrier. Debating how "fragile" he is physically ranks as a 14 year old question.
He’s never played a full season at any level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad