Is this iteration of the CLB core FINALLY going to be the one to bring the franchise success?

Will this CLB core deliver sustained success?

• This core will regularly contend for cups

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • This core will be a consistently great team with deep playoff runs

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • This core will be average. Run of the mill squad. Playoff bubble team

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • This core isn't great and won't amount to much

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
It's been a rough existence for the 'ol Bluejackets. A handful of playoff appearances, never really contenders, many top flight, highly drafted prospects turning into busts. Rick Nash is the franchise GOAT. (No disrespect to Rick Nasty who I love but in 3 decades you hope he's not the best player to ever play for your franchise).

This team has just never had any sustained success at all. Luckily, the past does not always inform the future. They aren't cursed or condemned to be forever oscillating between mediocre and just plain bad. This current core looks sick.

Adam Fantili
Cayden Lindstrom
David Jiricek
Kent Johnson
Denton Mateychuk

(+ Werenski only 26 and still has many good years left).

Will this time be different? Will this be a core that evolves into something that finally delivers the BJ's sustained success, a spot among the leagues elite, cup contender status? Or will it just be yet another core that fizzles out before starting over again?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
We don’t need yet another Shit On Columbus thread. We get it. We’re garbage who don’t deserve to exist. There is no direction, no talent, nothing. There are already at least five active threads across this site right now.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
We don’t need yet another Shit On Columbus thread. We get it. We’re garbage who don’t deserve to exist. There is no direction, no talent, nothing. There are already at least five active threads across this site right now.
How am I shitting on them? I said this core looks sick. Looking across the league it's one of my favourites. It never really dawned on me until earlier today looking over round 1 of the draft again that they got Fantilli and Lindstrom in back-2-back drafts.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I hope they’re good for Columbus fans sake.

All the prospects are thought highly of, but I really dont know enough about them to make a prediction of how good/impactful they’ll be.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
This might be a cop out answer, but it's possible. I could definitely see their core being able to win a Cup if they all hit their ceilings, but there's also plenty of other good cores in the NHL. And even teams with aging cores can rebuild in just a few years.

In short, turn around is short in the NHL and windows open and shut quickly.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

I was going to praise the Jackets, but your victimization attitude made me change my mind to option 4.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
This current core looks sick.

Adam Fantili
Cayden Lindstrom
David Jiricek
Kent Johnson
Denton Mateychuk

(+ Werenski only 26 and still has many good years left).

What we've seen from clubs like Ottawa, New Jersey, and Buffalo is that a super-talented young core often isn't enough to overcome problems in other parts of the roster. So I don't think we can answer how far they'll go by looking at them in isolation.

The Jackets do have some other great young pieces, notably the Russian trio of Chinakhov, Marchenko, and Voronkov. Chinakhov is a late bloomer, I'd say he has as much upside as the best players mentioned in the OP.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
What's the atrocity here though? They're an NHL team that hockey fans want to talk about.
Oh, they start innocently enough. Usually unrelated. Dude, an hour before this you were flaming Columbus fans in the worst teams thread. And no, hockey fans do not want to talk about the Blue Jackets, lol.

I’m just saying we have enough threads to slam this city as unlivable, the team as unviable, the roster as untalented top to bottom, the prospect pool a failure, and the fanbase invisible. Apparently we’re delusional for thinking otherwise in your own words. There doesn’t need to be yet another thread to rehash more of the same pointless discussion.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Oh, they start innocently enough. Usually unrelated. Dude, an hour before this you were flaming Columbus fans in the worst teams thread. And no, hockey fans do not want to talk about the Blue Jackets, lol.

I’m just saying we have enough threads to slam this city as unlivable, the team as unviable, the roster as untalented top to bottom, the prospect pool a failure, and the fanbase invisible. Apparently we’re delusional for thinking otherwise in your own words. There doesn’t need to be yet another thread to rehash more of the same pointless discussion.
I think you're being too sensitive here. In that other thread I said CBJ fans "in denial" will interject and claim their team is actually better than what we all think. If that sets you off then maybe you should just stick to the main boards. We're allowed to talk about other teams in the league I don't get why it has to bother you so much.

It doesn't bother me when people make tastless jokes about Corey Perry & Bedard, or the Beach scandal, or say the Hawks appropriate a culture with their logo, etc...Those are other's opinions and it doesn't affect my fandom.

CBJ has a promising group of prospects coming through but it's a long way to go from bottom dweller to elite team. That's a fair opinion to hold and express.

Crow

May 19, 2014
A lot of it depends on Cayden Lindstrom‘s health I think and while I personally have doubts from what I’ve read, I have to think the blue jackets are smarter and more well informed than me. I’m just one individual.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
1 thing at a time.

OP question: Yes, I picked multiple. The players you listed absolutely could win multiple cups. 2 centers picked in the top 5 that are big able to play physical, 2 dmen LD/RD both of which I (my opinion) in the top25 of all prospects. Kent Johnson who has too much skill to not be in a top 6 role.

As for the off-topic
Whenever the name Laine or Gaudreau come up, all of Canada unites.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I like that they are adding some more traits to the prospect pool than just pure skill now. Guys like Fantilli/Lindstrom/Brindley aside from being skilled are just character kids that play hard and want to win. Hoping the team gets back to having an identity, after the last wave of vets left Jarmo just started collecting puzzle pieces that didnt fit together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad