Is there such thing as hockey wisdom?

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So everyone is aware that hockey IQ/intellect is your ability to read plays, anticipate and outpredict your opponent, using your tools/team mates to the best of your advantage, etc. Would you say that there's such a thing as hockey wisdom that's similar but ultimately has some differences to hockey IQ? Wisdom in real life terms is the ability to develop a strong understanding and insight of a certain subject(s) through experience. Basically even NHL prospects can be exceptionally hockey intelligent, but lack that hockey wisdom that great veterans do.

NotAVacuumSalesman

The Guide And Record Book™
Jun 19, 2017
There’s only so many skill points that I can distribute into my created player. I’ve maxed out shot, passing, IQ, skating, durability, and strength.

I’m skipping hockey wisdom and hopefully I gain it organically like in the traditional sense, by way of experience.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
This is a great question.

I think wisdom in life usually requires a longer perspective - both for to accumulate it and to use it. Financially for example, being "wise" could mean knowing that wealth should be distributed into multiple things, even if it's not the best in terms of %. History has shown things go wrong every now and then. Wise (old) people know this. It's somewhat easy to make a difference between wisdom and cleverness etc in certain things.

But in hockey? Do veteran players possess something that is purely knowledge and not skills? Go to the net and whack at it because that's where the goals are scored? I don't know what these things would be within a single game/actual play. Maybe spending energy wisely, be effective with the least amount of effort? Knowing when to use the mustard things and such? I haven't followed old veterans that much to know if they've said something but I'm sure there's quotes from veterans alluding to these things. Joe Pavelski comes to mind but I haven't followed him enough to know if he did things differently during play.

It's easier for a season, I'd say wisdom could include stuff like resting and eating properly etc. And most importantly the mental side, knowing there's ups and downs, how to deal with them, how to help other players off-ice, etc. But then is that hockey wisdom or just general life wisdom/life skills...

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I don’t think that wisdom is really separated from IQ. Hockey IQ is essentially counting jerseys and knowing what play to make based on that situation. I guess you could say that hockey wisdom is more situational, like the intricacies of being the F1 on the forecheck or knowing what hand your teammates are so that your passes off the wall are easy to receive. I think it’s still just under the iq umbrella.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Hockey wisdom could be about how to handle the 82 games seasons + 4 rounds, not overtrain, manage the wait lost, how to handle teammate conflict, how to handle loosing your speed and find a second life in a second role.

In game time clock a bit maybe, but that would not be football-basketball level

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad