Is there any concern for the Leafs' lack of toughness heading into playoffs?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Two of the softest (in terms of hits and fights) teams over the last ten years are Chicago and Pittsburgh.

That should be enough to highlight how important it is.

Both those team are not and were never soft. They used alternate means, like slashing, pinning, grabbing and especially borderline interference.

No they were not bruisers but were competitive players. Its not always just a fight or big check, using your body while driving your elbow into someone's rib cage works too.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
A team that is big and physical can wear the opposition down.
I can perhaps see that happening

We can as well, you just make part of play... If you're in tight grind your elbow in their ribs. Use the hip check where you can and things like that.

Depends what our guys are willing to do to win, most of winning is who wants it more and who will bend the rules the most.

Like if we play TB and Bos and are willing to play on the edge and play to the max the refs allow, we can take them or any team

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
LOL OK.

But this is the issue with the question. It's an open ended question that is left to the reader to decide what tough is.

Some people define tough as having goons play. Others define tough as players who have injuries who play through those injuries. While others could define it a completely separate way.

One poster could say "No" and the other could say "Yes" and they could both be right depending on how they define "tough".
I know.
And if you look, I answered back with a question.

It was like a buddy of mine the other day agreeing with Grapes (yes, I know). They're worried that Crosby will get killed in the playoffs without Reeve there. Only problem is, Pittsburgh won the last 2 without Reeve. And Crosby won the Conn Smythe both years.
I get what they're saying. But there's zero evidence to support such a claim.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I know.
And if you look, I answered back with a question.

It was like a buddy of mine the other day agreeing with Grapes (yes, I know). They're worried that Crosby will get killed in the playoffs without Reeve there. Only problem is, Pittsburgh won the last 2 without Reeve. And Crosby won the Conn Smythe both years.
I get what they're saying. But there's zero evidence to support such a claim.

People don't screw with Crosby. He will slash your finger off or grab on to you and speed bag you. He isn't a soft kid anymore and grapes can be moronic.

Reactions: Jeypic

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I don't think we're soft, we might not be making huge checks every game or getting into fights but we have a lot of just on the line interference and stick work.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Terrible argument. How tough were the LA Kings and Anaheim Ducks?

Those two teams won under rules that suited that style.

Nowadays you cant even lightly slash someone without getting a penalty.

If they tried playing that way today they'd be sitting in the penalty box the entire game.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not concerned, no.

Speed and skill wins - Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Nashville, Winnipeg, etc., all top teams in the league. Aren't heavy teams.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nah, but there is something to be said about a player ala Wayne Simmonds that I wish we had.

I've been wishing to the hockey gods for a few years now that we would get him. He is a beast of a player.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When our forwards are skating hard on the forecheck, we can be one of the toughest teams to play against.

On the back end though, we lack physicality against teams that are adept at the cycle game.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'd say our only legitimately soft player is Gardiner, everyone else is quite happy to play a physical game, even if they aren't big hitters. We're also basically dead average in the league in terms of hits - even when Martin and Borgman don't play, we've got some solid hitters in Komarov, Polak and Kadri, and Hyman, Hainsey and Marleau throw some decent hits too.

We're not overly physical, but the same goes for a tonne of teams now. I think we'll be fine, it's really only Gardiner who ever bails on plays instead of taking a hit, everyone else happily engages in physical battles.

Reactions: Menzinger

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
3 goals in 6 games is nothing to scoff at. He was a force and we have no one that can be like that

Wilson is also capable of doing something really stupid and taking a major penalty. Long gone are the days that "toughness" is needed to win. Guys are not scared as they used to be to go into the dirty areas. Skill and speed will be the recipe for success.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wilson is also capable of doing something really stupid and taking a major penalty. Long gone are the days that "toughness" is needed to win. Guys are not scared as they used to be to go into the dirty areas. Skill and speed will be the recipe for success.
But he didn't take a major penalty against us iirc correctly and even if he did, that gets overshadowed by his positive contributions.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
But he didn't take a major penalty against us iirc correctly and even if he did, that gets overshadowed by his positive contributions.

Then he played against a better team in Pittsburgh and took a minor penalty in 5 of the 7 games.

22 PIM in total that series for him.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That's not against us so it doesn't matter

Well it doesnt speak too well that once he played a real contender he went pointless and was a penalty machine.

Wow he played well against a team full of green rookies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad