Is there a new type of goal scorer/sniper that could be classified?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The checking line player playing with the scorers and scoring tap-ins is like, one of the most standard line recipes in the NHL. It's easier to be a garbage man than ever before, because it's not as dangerous / punishing, so you see a lot of players swap in and out of that role throughout the season, which is why you don't see as many players define themselves by that exclusively, like your Holmstroms/Smyths of the past.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'm confused by the Phil Esposito mentions here. He wasn't just cleaning up Orr's garbage every game. There probably isn't a deadlier player in league history from the high slot and he had a wicked snap shot that he learned from Bobby Hull. He was notorious for finding space in no man's land, just above the hash marks, and wiring it from there.

Esposito could score in so many ways, I would hardly compare him to a guy like Andreychuk, Holmstrom or Smyth.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
5ed130984dca6807bc0e8c39

• Love
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah, Brian gionta I feel made a living off of tip ins, rebounds, and breakways.

He scored 50 one year I believe but I never really considered him a sniper

Although he did have a half decent clapper at one point in his career.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
The Garbage Man, and it's not new.

Andreychuck scored 640 goals and he could barely skate.

Neely made his living in front of the net.

Tim Kerr was one of the best PP power forwards in the 80s.

Yea plenty of guys were like that, Robitaille is another that comes to mind.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Skilled grinder? Obviously not a perfect comparison, but that's how Crosby has been described for around a decade or more.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
My coach in junior 15 years ago called me Oscar the grouch because I always scored the worst, most garbage goals. It’s not new. I remember watching players of previous generations do the same. Tomas Holstrom was a big one when I was growing up.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
There's definitely a distinction to be made between players like Esposito that while they scored a lot in close they can shoot, a grinder like Hyman who is dominant in puck battles and creating opportunities for his teammates and Andreychuk, who just parked his massive posterior in front of the net and was almost impossible to move.

NotTheRocketman

Jul 13, 2021
Jake Neighbours is shaping up to be one of these guys. He crashes the net, draws penalties, and is a pain in the ass to play against. He made massive strides this year as well, scoring 27 goals as a 22 year old. He's a star in the making.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After seeing Zach Hyman this season, and Sam Reinhart that could be included, I'm wondering if there is a new scorer type? It's like sniper, but that don't snipe. They score goals by rebounds, and mostly score like a few inches from the goalie. It's like they pick up the trash.

New scorer type?

Like from days of Tim Kerr from the seventies? 50 years of that type.

Tomas Holmström etc.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
After seeing Zach Hyman this season, and Sam Reinhart that could be included, I'm wondering if there is a new scorer type? It's like sniper, but that don't snipe. They score goals by rebounds, and mostly score like a few inches from the goalie. It's like they pick up the trash.

I have some family members that told me that Jonathan Cheechoo was that kind of player back then in his 2005-2007 short-lived prime with Joe Thornton.

What are y'all guys thoughts?
Cheechoo was indeed quite a bit like that.

I've been noticing as well that there's a sort of archetype recently of average sized, roughly average speed, right handed players with a nice, but not overwhelming, shot, soft hands, and fantastic hockey sense to get into position.

Some examples that come to mind are:

Hyman
Reinhart
Toffoli
Boeser
Pavelski
Wyatt Johnson
Jarvis
DeBrincat
Eberle.

Note: I don't include guys with serious standout attributes like:

Caufield (superlative shot)
Point (fast)
Pastrnak (too big, great shot, too much of a talented puck carrier)
Bedard (shot is incredible, good at almost everything)
etc.

BearQC

Feb 22, 2024
Off the top of my head, I believe it's the first time ever 2 garbage goal guys have broken out like this in the same season.

It's really unusual as 50 goal guys are usually at least somewhat predictable, and no one had either of these two doing it.
Exactly what I'm thinking

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Ryan Smyth, Tomas Holmstrom, Johan Franzen, Dave Andreychuk, Cam Neely, Phil Esposito… it’s not new. In fact, Ryan Smyth is one of more beloved garbage men of all time, so it really says something when an Oilers fan is wondering about Hyman. I guess McD really has brought new generations of fans to the game. Today it’s Kreider, Hyman, Reinhart, etc.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
The Garbage Man, and it's not new.

Andreychuck scored 640 goals and he could barely skate.

Neely made his living in front of the net.

Tim Kerr was one of the best PP power forwards in the 80s.
First guy I thought of

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Phil Esposito scored hundreds of goals off rebounds from Bobby Orr point shots during his career.
Bumper sticker in Massachussetts back then:

"Jesus saves.

...and Esposito scores on the rebound."

I'm confused by the Phil Esposito mentions here. He wasn't just cleaning up Orr's garbage every game. There probably isn't a deadlier player in league history from the high slot and he had a wicked snap shot that he learned from Bobby Hull. He was notorious for finding space in no man's land, just above the hash marks, and wiring it from there.
Esposito top-7 assist finishes:
1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2
Crosby top-7 assist finishes:
1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 7, 7

Reactions: knuck and GrogZilla

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I don't know of Holmstrom ever scored a pretty goal but he scored some goals.

Holmstrom had a Jagr level hockey ass, when he parked that thing in the slot it wasn't moving .

Franzen the Mule was also a die hard net front man. Those Detroit Swedes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad