Is there a new type of goal scorer/sniper that could be classified?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BearQC

Feb 22, 2024
After seeing Zach Hyman this season, and Sam Reinhart that could be included, I'm wondering if there is a new scorer type? It's like sniper, but that don't snipe. They score goals by rebounds, and mostly score like a few inches from the goalie. It's like they pick up the trash.

I have some family members that told me that Jonathan Cheechoo was that kind of player back then in his 2005-2007 short-lived prime with Joe Thornton.

What are y'all guys thoughts?

Reactions: Toene

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Never said they were the originals. Merely gave three from my generation.

I remember my father talking about Espo when we were watching a Bruins game and he said "if you lined up the distance of all of his goals from the net, you wouldn't reach the faceoff dot".

Another for the group in the '80's would be Dino Ciccarelli. Rick Vaive too.

Kevin Dineen might be another but certainly a slice below.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I remember my father talking about Espo when we were watching a Bruins game and he said "if you lined up the distance of all of his goals from the net, you wouldn't reach the faceoff dot".

Another for the group in the '80's would be Dino Ciccarelli. Rick Vaive too.

Kevin Dineen might be another but certainly a slice below.
Vaive could shoot it, and did. I wouldn't call him a garbage man. Dino's a good shout.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Later on, Vaive and his robo-winger neckroll from all the abuse in front of the net was what I was thinking about.
I still think of him as more of a skill and outside shooter. One-timers. etc. Here's his 50th in '83. For me, he just doesn't fall into that garbage man group.

Reactions: Chainshot

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
After seeing Zach Hyman this season, and Sam Reinhart that could be included, I'm wondering if there is a new scorer type? It's like sniper, but that don't snipe. They score goals by rebounds, and mostly score like a few inches from the goalie. It's like they pick up the trash.

I have some family members that told me that Jonathan Cheechoo was that kind of player back then in his 2005-2007 short-lived prime with Joe Thornton.

A crease rat (Lacrosse)

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Off the top of my head, I believe it's the first time ever 2 garbage goal guys have broken out like this in the same season.

It's really unusual as 50 goal guys are usually at least somewhat predictable, and no one had either of these two doing it.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton

Tim Kerr, best ever infront of the net... he also could tip the puck with uncanny ability.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Not new. Just add these terms to your hockey lexicon: "Crease rats", "garbage goals", "dirty areas". As previously mentioned, Esposito and Cicarelli (among others) had great success as that type of scorer.

In the bygone era a player had to have the attitude/willingness to absorb an inordinate amount of punishment, abuse, and cheap shots to make the crease their office combined with quick hand/eye and close-quarter skills to make it pay off. They were the antithesis of a soft, perimeter player.

Changes in rules/penalties have made playing on or near the crease far more benign and has diminished the notion of it being a specialized role not unlike being a "power forward". Better goalies mean more players have become adept at the skill of redirecting/deflecting/tipping pucks.

Of course, redirects/tips and cleaning up rebounds were never garbage, and lucky deflections from simply being there creating chaos/screens aren't exactly either. It just means they aren't pretty. Despite the changes, players who have a consistent knack for being there to exploit and finish fleeting, close-in opportunities will always get noticed.

Last edited:

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

This screams Phil Esposito

Reactions: PaulD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad