Is there a bigger homer announcer than Jack Edwards?

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Homer announcers make for uneducated fans, unfortunately. Give me a call down the middle, accurately describing the action and pointing out players on either team when they make a mistake.

Edwards, despite all his antics, is still one of (if not the most) educated regional broadcasters in the league. He also gives opposing teams so much more credit than other regional broadcasters do. People get clouded by his antics (which aren't even as often as they used to be) and think he's like this all the time.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He's horrible, everything about this guy is annoying, his homerism, his voice, and the way he calls the games in general just too annoying

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Jack Edwards is an embarrassment to sports commentators around the world. Dude is ridiculous.

Honestly, I would rather have games called by neutral commentators. Homerism is the most annoying thing for commentary, in my opinion. We get this in Pittsburgh a lot. Bob Errey gushes over Mario constantly and never misses a chance to mention that he and #66 played together.

Steve Mears, the young buck, seems to be way better with this. But he hasn't been around the team as long, so we'll see how that develops.

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Joe Blowen.,...pathetic
Degenerate....almost as bad as blowen
Edwards...it is what it is

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Edwards is great. Goes too far sometimes but sings the praises of whoever deserves it, regardless of the Jersey.
Yeah. Edwards has that ability to portray the energy and excitement of a game, which to me is by far the most important quality of an announcer. He does take it too far sometimes, but at least it comes from him genuinely getting overemotional. That's understandable. There's a few announcers out there that make it part of their craft to be homers, to the point where they'll act dejected whenever the opposing team scores, no matter the circumstances.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Frankly,I hate how neutral some announcers are. The team pays you. You should have a bias. Screw the supposed journalistic integrity you think you're trying for. Frankly the local reporters should be biased too. Its the local team that necessitates their existence, but the think they need to act neutral/negative about the team. Its stupid really. Nationally broadcast games deserve neutral announcing. Not local.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Joe Blowen.,...pathetic
Degenerate....almost as bad as blowen
Edwards...it is what it is

Joe Bowen is a homer, but he's still better than Jack Edwards. Or anyone who's done the TV pbp for the leafs since.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Colour guy. Not sure who he is. Don't listen to Pens broadcasts often.

Could have been Stiegerwald. Just the worst piece of garbage I've ever heard on a broadcast.

Does that sound like him?

Steigerwald was their play by play guy. He was "reassigned" to doing interviews and more promotional things with the organization during the summer of 2017. I think his official title has something to do with being a communications director or advisor. But yeah, he's out of the booth.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Jack Edwards is the king of Homers. 2nd is every single media personality in Toronto and Vancouver. John Garrett....is pretty bad too and so is Vancouver Radio personality Dave Pratt. He might be the worst

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
What I want is an explanation for this - paging Kings fans. Why is this man audibly celebrating when the Kings score into his headset (he did this with the other goals too)? Was it some sort of special guest broadcaster this night?

"-YEA!" [mod] this

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Why is this a thread every year, every one knows he's a homer, but so is almost every home broadcaster. I appreciate him because he is extremely knowledgeable not just on Bruins players, but on opposing players as well.

Reactions: Pia8988

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
No, because he doesn't Go Mike Haynes/Steigerwald when the visiting team scores.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00