Value of: Is the 2022-2023 trade deadline considered a buyers or sellers market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
What do you folks think?

This trade deadline has been a little bit unusual so far. Unexpected big trades ... that has occured weeks/week before March 3rd.

Leading up to March 3rd and considering who is available (sat out/rumors) vs teams interested to upgrade/needs

Is this trade deadline a buyers or sellers market?

Reactions: Marshall

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Definitely a buyers market, I don't remember a time where this many quality names have been moved or have rumors about availability. That being said, as a Blues fan I have been very happy with the returns we have got in our trades. I think DA has been smart pulling the trigger early so they don't end up holding the bag.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
For now it is an buyers market, we'll see what will happen before the TDL. I think some teams in the Eastern WC race will be minor buyers on the March 3rd if they are still in the race which will tip the scales a bit.

That being said the D market is already pretty thin. Some teams will miss out.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Definitely a buyers market, I don't remember a time where this many quality names have been moved or have rumors about availability. That being said, as a Blues fan I have been very happy with the returns we have got in our trades. I think DA has been smart pulling the trigger early so they don't end up holding the bag.
Are the Blues done trading?

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Washington selling while still in contention makes you think sellers market. But the prices being paid aren't overly extravagant so I dunno, feels sort of like a buyers market. It's hard to define really.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Its been weird. Stlouis for example got a lot for acciari and oreilly. But didnt get as much for tarasenko who is the better player.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
It is a seller's market until it isn't. Most of the big boys have already shot their shot. There will be a point where the tide turns and talent will be available for cheap. There are too many known sellers.

Its been weird. Stlouis for example got a lot for acciari and oreilly. But didnt get as much for tarasenko who is the better player.
ROR is a center which is explanation enough

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Washington selling while still in contention makes you think sellers market. But the prices being paid aren't overly extravagant so I dunno, feels sort of like a buyers market. It's hard to define really.

How would Washington make it a sellers market that doesn't really make sense? Competition among potential buyers decreases and supply increases.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Lots of sellers, lots of teams with no cap space, it looks like a buyer's market

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The fact good GMs like McClellan and Armstrong made these moves so early indicates they didn’t like what else was out there, buyers market going into he deadline now that so many picks are out of play

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Yes there is a market.

The Arizona Coyotes are currently having a BOGO sale. Willing to trade Chychrun for the right price and willing to throw in Kassian absolutely free. Don't wait, calls are coming in. Offer expires March 3rd.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
How would Washington make it a sellers market that doesn't really make sense? Competition among potential buyers decreases and supply increases.
Sellers market means sellers are getting good prices for their assets, so a team in contention deciding to sell would seemingly be trying to take advantage of this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think it's a remarkable buyers market. The quantity and quality of players on offer is unusual. Lots of sellers.

So far, yes. The Caps move of Orlov and Hathaway seems to have shaken the return structure. What remains to be seen is if sellers come down or if buyers pony up on the remaining folks out there.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
So far, yes. The Caps move of Orlov and Hathaway seems to have shaken the return structure. What remains to be seen is if sellers come down or if buyers pony up on the remaining folks out there.

This what I mean by market correction stalemate.

Sellers look at deals like Chiarot last year as precedent. But buying teams look at that as something to avoid.

The price escalation was influenced by Tampas aggressiveness. But there's a limit. And the cap situation is a factor also.

Reactions: Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What do you folks think?

This trade deadline has been a little bit unusual so far. Unexpected big trades ... that has occured weeks/week before March 3rd.

Leading up to March 3rd and considering who is available (sat out/rumors) vs teams interested to upgrade/needs

Is this trade deadline a buyers or sellers market?

it’s really driven by the secondary trade market and what players are moved for.

your top players gets a 1st.

right now you have more buyers/ non-sellers than sellers.

Reactions: rocketdan9

LickTheEnvelope

Weird time to be a Canucks fan 2024
Dec 16, 2008
Sidney, formerly Vancouver
I think it's a story of the general market.

Buyers market for mid-6 wingers, particularly ones on longer term.
Also might be a buyers market for fringe players who have upside (see Kravtsov trade)

Sellers market for top 6 d-men and top 9 centers.
Sellers market for cap space

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad