Is Shea Weber a Hall of Famer?

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
No Norris and no cup.

I’m surprised many think he’s surely in. I don’t know but I would like him to get in.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The Norris isn't just about points. Unless you think Tyson Barrie should win it this year?
We're talking about Lidstrom here; you know full well his game wasn't about points. In any case, points do factor into Norris consideration, and a 14 point gulf between defenseman is quite substantial.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
I doubted it a little (not slot) but after leafs series he’s a winner. He does what it takes plus the numbers the guy is a gamer

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It’s a given. Most likely first ballot. If not, he won’t be waiting long.

I like Weber. Have no problem if he gets in. But it's also a numbers game and really depends on who is eligible as I focus on the competition.
There's at least 12-15 players in that 29-35 age group that are easily ahead of him. Then he's somewhere in a group of another 15-20 guys.

There's simply a bunch of excellent players in that age group and if you kinda average it to 3 a year - There's going to be a few great players that have to wait or on the outside looking in.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If he wins a cup it'll secure him being a first-ballot HHOFer.

I think Fredrik Modin should still get in as I firmly believe if you're part of the triple-gold club that should automatically get you consideration.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Notably, he is the first WWE star to also be an NHL star, which makes him a shoe-in for the HOF in my mind.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Due to parity, there hasn't been many if any super-elite guys on super stacked teams like in the 90's.

It's why we're seeing so many questionable admissions into the HHOF each year.

Another way to think of it:

Think of the 30-40 best players since the 06 lockout till now.
Name all 40. And see if you omit Shea Weber.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
No Norris and no cup.

I’m surprised many think he’s surely in. I don’t know but I would like him to get in.

Only one person can win the Norris each year and he spent his prime on a team with anemic offense.

He's one of the best defenseman of his era and was a top 5 defenseman for about a decade. He'll get in.

He's closer to having two Norris wins than a lot of people realize considering how many have him not in in this thread.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I'll admit you had a good run from 2005-06 through 2012, but then you signed that big contract and put on ALOT of weight coming back after the lockout. Combined with the trike-related offseason knee-injury (and you were never the most mobile of defensemen) and some indifferent physical play made for a pretty ugly ending, all things considered.

Weren't they chanting "Elysian YIELDS" by the end of your tenure in Dallas?

Give him a break, that trike injury was just brutal. TWO f***ing booboos AND an owie, and no one took him out for ice cream afterwards!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think he's in, but it's not a clear-cut thing necessarily. He was considered one of the top 5 D-men in the league for a decent stretch of years, so that probably puts him in, but there's no playoff success, no Norris trophy, no great team he's associated with to say it's beyond all doubt, sure thing, 1st ballot.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
kevin hatcher is not in the hhof at 1150 games, 677 points, being a 5 time allstar and being american. derian hatcher won a cup as the team captain of dallas and he's not in either.

so being big and durable with a big shot alone will not get you in. weber might get there is he plays a lot more games and/or wins a cup. not sure of the exact formula.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
4x all star makes him a lock

There’s only one Norris winner every year, and only one team can win the cup, so you can’t really hold that against him. He was one of the very best defensemen in the league for around a decade. That’s HOF worthy.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
kevin hatcher is not in the hhof at 1150 games, 677 points, being a 5 time allstar and being american. derian hatcher won a cup as the team captain of dallas and he's not in either.

so being big and durable with a big shot alone will not get you in. weber might get there is he plays a lot more games and/or wins a cup. not sure of the exact formula.
Hatcher has three x top ten in Norris voting. Only once in top five.

Night and day between him and Weber.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006

Kevin Hatcher is a 0 time all star. But he's sure American. You got that right.

sure, absolutely. those unsuccessful norris votes will make all the difference.

Yeah, how could anybody ever know that Weber was about 2 votes away of winning 2 Norris since all information about non Norris winners is probably permanently burned in acid. If only people knew that he was voted as a top-5 d-man 5 times. Brad Park sure will be disappointed when he learns that his level of play didn't make any difference after all.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Completrly different levels of players. Kevin was poor defensively and Derian wasn't anywhere near Weber offensively.

Reactions: iamjs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad