Is Rinne the new Luongo?

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Canucks score first and they probably win Game 7. Team who scores first in Game 7 wins over 70% of the time.

Common misconception is that Luongo sucked in Game 7. He let in 3 goals. It really wasn't THAT bad.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Canucks score first and they probably win Game 7. Team who scores first in Game 7 wins over 70% of the time.

Common misconception is that Luongo sucked in Game 7. He let in 3 goals. It really wasn't THAT bad.

I don't even count his game 7 performance. I mean his team was shutout. The Boston games though? Yeah that was one of the worst displays of goaltending I've ever seen.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Who cares? Rinne could have gone all 2013 ECF Tuukka Rask and the NHL would have made sure it didn't matter.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Luongo - Solid in Vancouver
- Absolute Garbage in Boston

Rinne - Solid in Nashville
- Absolute Garbage in Pittsburgh

New Luongo or not, he's better then any other trash goalie right now that is currently not playing hockey.

KingBilly

Oct 18, 2008
It's actually a good comparison, but I really think in both cases it is much more about the team and the intangibles of home/away. People consistently underrate them. The difference in faceoffs and last change. And the crowd. But mainly the first two. There are some teams for whom home/away means everything in terms of faceoffs and you can track it. For the Sens both the Rangers and Penguins series revolved around it. And you can look at the faceoff statistics and see the difference. I think Vancouver were a garbage away team in the playoffs, and Nashville? It's not as clear, but they've played worse in Pittsburgh. All of them. It's not just Rinne.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I have to say Luongo is better, because he was almost neck-and-neck with Tim Thomas, posting two key games, while getting shutouts.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Luongo was better, hard to believe but Vancouver's offense was even worse than Nashville's so Luongo had to nearly singlehandedly win games for the Canucks to have any chance. He almost did it too he just came up 1 game short.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Luongo was better, hard to believe but Vancouver's offense was even worse than Nashville's so Luongo had to nearly singlehandedly win games for the Canucks to have any chance. He almost did it too he just came up 1 game short.

Vancouver had to face a Tim Thomas, not a Murray. factor that in also.

No, no he isn't. Hockey is a TEAM sport.

????

Why didn't you say this to op then?

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Coming into this thread my thought was Luongo was better. After reading some comments I'm unsure, its close but I would stick with my gut.

Nashville has done more around Rinne than Vancouver did around Luongo. IMO.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Luongo - Solid in Vancouver
- Absolute Garbage in Boston

Rinne - Solid in Nashville
- Absolute Garbage in Pittsburgh

Luongo didn't lose that series - the entire team did. The games that Boston won were blow out games, while the games that Vancouver won were close tight games. Vancouver did not deserve that cup win, and that wasn't Luongo's fault. And if (when?) Pittsburgh wins the cup, it won't be Rinne's fault either. Could he have been better? Absolutely. But the team in front of him hasn't been doing him any favors either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad