Is Peter Horacek The Worst Coaching Tenure in NHL History?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's foolish to pass judgment on a coach like Horachek given the circumstances he's been brought into. As already mentioned, interim coaches don't come in & take over GREAT teams very often. He came in & took over a team that is *SO* mentally fragile given their history, it's kind of crazy that people expected massive improvements.

Retrospectively people look at coaching changes like Boudreau replacing Carlyle in Anaheim & point to how significant a change these decisions can provide. No one remembers Boudreau's first 20 games in Anaheim - it was a disaster.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
It's foolish to pass judgment on a coach like Horachek given the circumstances he's been brought into. As already mentioned, interim coaches don't come in & take over GREAT teams very often. He came in & took over a team that is *SO* mentally fragile given their history, it's kind of crazy that people expected massive improvements.

Retrospectively people look at coaching changes like Boudreau replacing Carlyle in Anaheim & point to how significant a change these decisions can provide. No one remembers Boudreau's first 20 games in Anaheim - it was a disaster.

so what do you think their intention was when they brought Horachek in? To "win" or to "tank"? it's one or the other. Which one do you think it is?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

He came into a team that was 7th place. Then went on a 3-20 run.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
He came into a team that was 7th place. Then went on a 3-20 run.

So why do you watch games anyways, when all you care about is the end score? Carlyle's team were bad and even worse to watch. Does no one realize that we don't get hemmed in the zone anymore?

Just look at how great Reilly and Gardiner look. Carlyle was running players out of town and ruining our propspects.

Last edited:

YOYOTCROSTER*

Folks want to win games that is the number 1 priority; not how a team looks. :handclap: A good coach understands what he has to work with and then builds a game plan against team he is playing that night to give his personnel the best chance to win that game. It is very clear after Carlyle was removed that Leaf managment decided that was no longer a priority to win games. Someone up top decided this team needed to be rebuilt. My guess it was Shanny. So then you have to do what is required to tank and Horachek is part of the tank program. Personally I think shanny was right to rebuild. Even with Carlyle coaching the hell outta that group it was never going to win. It is just the worng personnel. I think most Leaf fans feel the same way. So now the priority is to get either McDavid or Strome to lead the team going forward.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
So why do you watch games anyways, when all you care about is the end score? Carlyle's team were bad and even worse to watch. Does no one realize that we don't get hemmed in the zone anymore?

Just look at how great Reilly and Gardiner look. Carlyle was running players out of town and ruining our propspects.

How the **** is Horachek's team better to watch?

Ya I guess if you like dancing in circles in the neutral zone without getting a scoring opportunity all game is your thing, Horachek is your man.

Its easy to maintain possession when don't try to score.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
How the **** is Horachek's team better to watch?

Ya I guess if you like dancing in circles in the neutral zone without getting a scoring opportunity all game is your thing, Horachek is your man.

Its easy to maintain possession when don't try to score.

I would rather maintain possession than be under siege the whole game. Watching one and done offense is not entertaining. Watching the breakout is a thing of beauty under Horachek instead of seeing puck rimmed around the boards.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I don't think this losing streak should be a reflection of his skills as a coach. This team has given up and threw in the towel 20 games back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad