Is Patrik Elias worthy to get to HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Someone brought this thread back?

Reminds me of that butthurt Devils fan who said The Sedins and Alfredsson made the HOF cause they played in Canada, I blocked his f***ing ass after his crying and angry rants were just stupid.

As for Elias, he can have a good shot for the HOF.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yes the Hall has made some garbage inductions, but that doesn’t mean we need to actively advocate for more of them. Mullen got in because he’s American, Anderson because of the teams he played on. Those are bad picks and should not be taken as a standard

the issue here is the floor is way lower than mullen and anderson. to me, it’s a question of tiers:

in a hall with alfredsson and hossa and mullen, elias belongs

in a hall with barber and shutt and anderson, elias unmistakeably belongs

in a hall with ciccarelli and gartner, elias clears the bar with ease

in a hall with andreychuk and gillies, this shouldn’t be controversial

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
3 Cups. Legendary player and got it done when it mattered most. He's part of the history of the league.

I couldn't disagree more with the claim that he is a "legendary player."

The key difference being Kunitz didn't lead those cup teams in scoring for like a decade straight.

Neither did Patrik Elias. You seem to be forgetting about Zach Parise.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Was Milan Hejduk a Selke caliber player and a center in the second half of his career?

Hyperbole doesn't help your case, it actually weakens it.

Shouldn't a "Selke calibre player" at the very least, have a bunch of votes for the Selke? Shouldn't that be the bare minimum to call a player "Selke calibre?"

Reactions: cptjeff

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Unfortunately, defensive views from back then are based on the least accurately voted award of all time, in an era where film wasn't easily available, and advanced numbers also weren't.

This is a ridiculous claim. Saying silly things like this really hurts your argument cause it make you look desperate in trying to support an argument with nonsense.

Selke voting is legitimately awful, especially back then.

Elias was a selke level defender.

So the Selke voting doesn't matter when it comes to determining if a player is a Selke-level defender.

Your "arguments" are getting increasingly desperate.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I dont know if hes a hall of famer when people doubt guys like the below will be getting in:

Eric Staal, Ryan Getzlaf, Phil Kessel, Blake Wheeler, John Tavares, Claude Giroux

Most of those guys I would say are hetter players at their peaks + primes then Elias and a lot of people say most of those names arent hall of famers (besides maybe Getzlaf

If he gets in will likely need to wait quite sometime

I don't think *any* of those guys are better than Patrik Elias.

Evergreen

Personally I don’t think Elias-caliber players should be in the HHOF, but I think Elias has as much a claim to a spot as a number of guys who have already been inducted.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
The Hall f***ed themselves with inducting too many players, so now everyone that has a longer career in the NHL is going to get in.

Elias was a decent player with a long career. However, he has zero personal awards.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Ignoring his cups and elite two way play, is there precedent for a guy with 1,000+ points and 3+ top 10 scoring finishes not making the hall of fame?

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I couldn't disagree more with the claim that he is a "legendary player."

Neither did Patrik Elias. You seem to be forgetting about Zach Parise.
Elias led the devils in scoring in basically every year from 2000-2008, with a couple more leads after that.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
There are a lot of good, but not great NHL players. Even so, not all great NHL players make it (or should make it to the hall of fame). The hall of fame should be reserved for the greatest of players, where their accomplishments and contributions are both distinguished, and unparalleled.

I have felt for years now both the NHL (and MLB) have really relaxed the standards for who they let in the hall of fame. I wonder if it's this increasing environment of "everybody wins" and everyone gets a participation medal that has led to even consideration players who are good or even great, but not hall of fame worthy.

In terms of Elias - based on who else is unfortunately, already in (that I don't feel is HOF worthy - I won't bother mentioning any names so as to not get into arguments with anyone - some of these players were well loved players by me growing up but I didn't see them as HOF worthy)...by those lower standards, it would be a hard argument why those other players are in and Elias is not.

But forgetting past squeakers into the HOF - on the whole I think he was a very good player, but not a HOF one. Yes, there are different levels of HOF players - guys like Ovechkin and Crosby are shoo-ins, guys who had solid careers with multiple cups and individual awards and stats leaders on their team as well as international competition success, etc. - easy choices. But then there are a bunch of on the border types and some who honestly would only get in if it was a bad HOF class year.

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelhockey

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Elias led the devils in scoring in basically every year from 2000-2008, with a couple more leads after that.

So Patrick Elias led the Devils in scoring for ten years, but really it's only eight years, except it's not eight years, because he didn't lead them in scoring in 2006 or 2008 and there was no season in 2005 (Why would you say he led them "basically every year from 2000-2008, when he didn't even lead them in scoring in 2008?)

So the ten years, which you actually claim is eight years, is really five years.

Also, saying he led them in scoring "a couple of times after that" while factually true, is an odd flex considering he led them with 62 points and 36 points. Not exactly impressive totals.

Reactions: Voight and cptjeff

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
So Patrick Elias led the Devils in scoring for ten years, but really it's only eight years, except it's not eight years, because he didn't lead them in scoring in 2006 or 2008 and there was no season in 2005 (Why would you say he led them "basically every year from 2000-2008, when he didn't even lead them in scoring in 2008?)

So the ten years, which you actually claim is eight years, is really five years.

Also, saying he led them in scoring "a couple of times after that" while factually true, is an odd flex considering he led them with 62 points and 36 points. Not exactly impressive totals.
Led the team in scoring every year from 1999-2007, except when he paced for 97 points in 2006 but was injured.

Then led again in 10-11, and 12-13 (lockout year btw, weird to not mention when you say 36 points).

1k points
Elite defensively
Multiple cups

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
With Elias I'm always torn, he was a great player that would have most certainly put up more points on a different team. He was an elite 2 way player, better defensively than a lot of guys that are in and better offensively than most of the defensive guys that are in. Here is where the problem is, his numbers don't jump off the page, sure he surpassed the 1000 point threshold that HoF likes but just barely. They also like to see 500 goals, and he came up almost 100 under that.

The 2 Stanley Cups and strong international play certainly helps his case, and any individual award would have made him a lock, but seeing as he doesn't have that I can see why he's been left out to this point.

I wouldn't be shocked if he eventually makes it in, but he's the definition of fringe HoF player if there ever was one. Just because there are worse players that are in already doesn't mean they should lower the bar to those players level.

Personally, I'd say super close but, no. I'd also would have said no to a lot of players that are already in and I would have already put Mogilny in, it's a damn shame he's still on the outside looking in.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Elias is most definitely a hall of fame level of talent, but his career is basically at the bar for entry but not over. I think he’s the best player born in 1976, could be a year with zero hall of fame players.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Ignoring his cups and elite two way play, is there precedent for a guy with 1,000+ points and 3+ top 10 scoring finishes not making the hall of fame?

I think Dave Taylor is the only one. Injuries did hamper his prime, but a guy who played the entirety of his career in the Live Puck Era and had five seasons of 90 or more points and then had just 71 points in his sixth best offensive season and was never the best player on his line isn't Hall worthy even with the standard for induction not being terribly high.

Personally, I'd say super close but, no. I'd also would have said no to a lot of players that are already in and I would have already put Mogilny in, it's a damn shame he's still on the outside looking in.

Honestly, Elias > Mogilny if we look at what they actually did.

Mogilny had more natural talent and was phenomenal at his best, but if you really look at his career, he has two great seasons and a couple of other strong ones but nothing else particularly impressive. He was also surprisingly unproductive in the playoffs for a player of his talent level. His career is plagued by injuries and inconsistency.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I think he should already easily be a HOF'er.

A current franchise leader in Points, Goals, Assists, and Game Winners. 2nd best stats for any Czech born player (behind Jagr). 2 Stanely cups, a bronze medal. 400 plus goals and 1000 plus points. I think he did JUST ENOUGH to be a HOF'er without a ton of question. (IMO). Obviously, voters feel different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad