Is NJ one of the most improved offences in recent memory?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Could you imagine if we had drafted Barzal instead of Zacha like I was freaking saying we should have? Hischier and Barzal down the middle with Zajac as 3C?? Yikes.

We'd be undoubtedly the fastest forward group in the league. Heck, we still might without him.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Could you imagine if we had drafted Barzal instead of Zacha like I was freaking saying we should have? Hischier and Barzal down the middle with Zajac as 3C?? Yikes.

We'd be undoubtedly the fastest forward group in the league. Heck, we still might without him.

Conte always loved his big guys towards the end. In fact, from what Ray made it sound like, there was a never a question that Zacha was Conte’s guy. When Ray was talking to Columbus, and earlier apparently Philly about trading down, Conte said he would blow his lid if they missed out on Zacha.

Hopefully he’s like Niedereitter in that he needs just another year or two to break out. But right now it doesn’t look good.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Conte always loved his big guys towards the end. In fact, from what Ray made it sound like, there was a never a question that Zacha was Conte’s guy. When Ray was talking to Columbus, and earlier apparently Philly about trading down, Conte said he would blow his lid if they missed out on Zacha.

Hopefully he’s like Niedereitter in that he needs just another year or two to break out. But right now it doesn’t look good.

I think he'll end up a poor man's Zubrus. Not an awful player but picking 6th in that loaded of a draft, you'd hope to get more than that. I questioned the pick since day 1 (wanted Barzal) and have been massacred by many of my fellow devils fans for doing so. Apparently I'm "not a devils fan" for disagreeing with the Zacha and McLeod picks. . .

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I was fine with the Zacha pick at the time, but I was also screaming for the Devils to move up and take Barzal as well, which was scoffed at by most Devils fans during the draft because "if a player falls in the draft its for a reason" lol

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I wanted Rantanen really badly, but I was fine with him, Zacha or Barzal at the time. I just didn't really want a defenseman. Obviously, things can change fast and now I'd do a lot to have either Provorov or Werenski but it's whatever. I'll stick by Zacha and hope he can turn things around, he's only 20 after all and has some incredible physical skills.

As far as overhauls go, Toronto and New Jersey seem pretty close IMO. Both had just terrible players littered all around the lineup and now have real good depth.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Tell me when the Leafs win the sort of trades the Devils have won (Hall, Palmieri, Johansson), have drafted any late round prospects that have become top 6 players (Bratt) and have any UFA signing work out to the level of Butcher or hell, even Brian Gibbons.

If the Leafs ever accomplish anything of value, it will have taken a Hall of Fame president, Hall of Fame GM and Hall of Fame coach, a generational pick, two more top ten picks and the biggest budget in hockey to win.

Yeah, there is nothing at all comparable or impressive about what Leafs have done.
Adding one of the weaker 1st overall picks in recent memory and a couple of undersized wingers does not make New Jersey relevant. You'll regress as expected.

As for trades? Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin, JVR for Schenn, Hyman for McKegg, Pickard for scraps, Rychel for Harrington.

Successful FA signings? Zaitsev, Bozak, Soshnikov, Marleau, Borgman

Late round picks? Brown, Komarov, Leivo

All of whom are currently on the roster. The OP specifically asked for other teams with better single season improvements, but devils fans have to monopolize the discussion because this is their first good stretch of games in years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
Adding one of the weaker 1st overall picks in recent memory and a couple of undersized wingers does not make New Jersey relevant. You'll regress as expected.

As for trades? Gardiner/Lupul for Beauchemin, JVR for Schenn, Hyman for McKegg, Pickard for scraps, Rychel for Harrington.

Successful FA signings? Zaitsev, Bozak, Soshnikov, Marleau, Borgman

Late round picks? Brown, Komarov, Leivo

All of whom are currently on the roster. The OP specifically asked for other teams with better single season improvements, but devils fans have to monopolize the discussion because this is their first good stretch of games in years.

It is way too early to call Nico a weak first round draft pick. He's playing excellent so far for an undersized, 18 year old kid and he is great at both ends of the ice to boot. I think Nico has an unknown ceiling because all we have on him is one year in Juniors and World Juniors to go off of. So far he has 17 points in 23 games Centering our top line, not too shabby. If Nico plays with Hall all year he has a chance of hitting 60 points +.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I wanted Rantanen really badly, but I was fine with him, Zacha or Barzal at the time. I just didn't really want a defenseman. Obviously, things can change fast and now I'd do a lot to have either Provorov or Werenski but it's whatever. I'll stick by Zacha and hope he can turn things around, he's only 20 after all and has some incredible physical skills.

As far as overhauls go, Toronto and New Jersey seem pretty close IMO. Both had just terrible players littered all around the lineup and now have real good depth.

Yea I liked Rantanen a lot. I'm with you - didn't want a D at the time either. But I knew Zacha's game pretty well and was dreading the near certainty that we'd end up taking him (or worse - Crouse).

I was highest on Barzal though. I liked Konecny and Connor a lot as well. Pretty much any forward but Zacha or Crouse would have made me happy. That said, I still think Pavel has a decent chance at becoming a solid middle 6 center, which is pretty much the only type of centers we've had since Gomez (until Nico).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
03-04 Hurricanes scored 172 goals, top scorer was Josef Vasicek with 45 points. They had no 20 goal scorers and only 2 players with 40 points.

05-06 Canes scored 286 goals, top scorer was Eric Staal with 45 goals, 100 points. Had 4 guys with 70 plus points, two with 50 plus points, and two with 40 plus points, and six 20 goal scorers. Matt Cullen, a 3rd liner, had more goals and points (25-24-49) than the previous season's team leader. (19-26-45)

Overall team went from 30th in scoring in 03-04, to third in 05-06. strike season between that, of course, but still a shocking difference.

Reactions: cgf

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
Nico Hischier is the real deal. Pleasure to watch. Hopefully Patrick develops into a player of the same caliber for us. At least NJ didn't get Barzal, Provorov or Werenski. They'd be downright scary if they did.

Probably wouldn't have gotten Nico if they did. I'm still hopeful that Zacha pans out.

Reactions: HBK27

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Remove Marleau if you're looking for "one off-season". Otherwise, this transition outdoes New Jersey's.

JVR-Kadri-Boyes
Matthias-Bozak-Lupul
Winnik-Spaling-Parenteau
Komarov-Holland-Grabner

Into:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin-Moore-Brown
[Soshnikov, Leivo]

Nobody ever in the history of hockey does things better than Toronto

Reactions: DEVILS130

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can't think of many more improved offences in the NHL in a long time. The first time I saw them this season was really an eye opener. They were exciting, fast, skilled, played a style of hockey that made them really attractive to watch.

Night and day it seemed overnight. I was sceptical when Shero took over, but he and Castron have the Devils turned around from the mess they inherited in 2 incredible years. It's really astonishing how they play now compared to before.

Reactions: torero

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
And Leafs fans wonder why people hate them...

And we are perfectly happy with our three cup wins in the last 25 years when the Leafs have done almost nothing of relevance for about 55

I usually ignore this type of ****, but this really pisses me off

Wow that is really impressive. 3 whole cups!!!!

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Wow that is really impressive. 3 whole cups!!!!
Well they did play for the Stanley Cup a little over 5 years ago, and before that they were winning division title after division title, but I see your point..

Edit: That was in response to your post about us not being successful in the last 25 years which you edited out just in time.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
I’d say yes. But they’ve exceed expectations, nobody expected to be second in the conference. They definitely have a well balanced team, on the backend and in nets.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
What's funny is someone calling Nico one of the weakest first overall. Dude is on pace for 61 points this year.

Matthews had 69 points in his first year.

Mckinnon had 64 in his rookie year. Yakupov was on pace for 54 points. RNH was on pace for 68 points. Taylor Hall was on pace for 53 points.

But people keep on overstating how he's one of the weakest first overall in recent drafts. He still has to learn a lot, but he provide very good 2 way play.

Here we go leafs fans bring it on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad