Is Nikita Kucherov a Generational Talent? (Based on his NHL Career)

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
He wasn't a generational talent in the draft (Even though he scored 3 points per game at U18), but I think in regards to how good he has been NHL, I'd say he has basically been a generational talent.

Kucherov since 2017-18: 144G 259A 403P 290GP. 3 All Star Teams, 2 Stanley Cups, 1 MVP.

In this regard, would you say Nikita Kucherov has been a generational talent?
Let's Discuss.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
giphy.gif

Mirka the Turka

Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
Yes. He is clearly the second best player after McDavid since about 5 years ago. The second best player of a generation is always a generational talent.

He carried the Tampa teams to cups. Yes, Tampa did have elite goaltending and defense but they didn't have an amazing 2nd forward. Stamkos is alright, but he was injured during a cup run and generally ineffective during the playoffs. As a result, Kucherov had to put the team on his back.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
"Generational talent" is an overused descriptor. I feel like you can only have one or two new "generational talents" in the league per decade, tops, or else they aren't really "generational" by any meaningful definition.

Kucherov is a great player - one of the best in the league right now- but he does not belong in the Gretzky-Lemieux-Ovechkin-Crosby-McDavid tier. He's one notch lower.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes. He is clearly the second best player after McDavid since about 5 years ago. The second best player of a generation is always a generational talent.

He carried the Tampa teams to cups. Yes, Tampa did have elite goaltending and defense but they didn't have an amazing 2nd forward. Stamkos is alright, but he was injured during a cup run and generally ineffective during the playoffs. As a result, Kucherov had to put the team on his back.

I wouldn't say clearly but you can argue he's second best.

All three of Kucherov, Draisailt, and Matthews can be argued for second best forward in past 5 years. Either all three are generational or none are.

There are not four generational forwards in their prime in the NHL right now.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
too injury prone to be generational just imo tho he would need to maintain these high levels more consistently to be at that next level

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Wow I didn't know it was clear that he has been second best especially since he sat out a whole year.

McDavid's buddy Draisaitl is one that comes to mind.

No.

There are three generational talents in the NHL:

Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid.

That's it. That's the whole list.
Aren't the all from the same generation?

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Wow I didn't know it was clear that he has been second best especially since he sat out a whole year.

McDavid's buddy Draisaitl is one that comes to mind.

Aren't the all from the same generation?

Two of them are. McDavid is the next generation.

Sports generations are shorter than societal generations, as you have less active time to make an impact in sports than you do as a member of society on culture.

A sports generation is generally 10-15 years.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Maybe I shouldn't have phrased it as generational talent.

What I meant to say is that it seems Kucherov is the closest thing to McDavid's Ovechkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad