Is McDavid Top 10 For You All Time Already? If Not How Much More Does He Have to do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Is Bourque only a top-10 defenceman because he won a cup at age 40?

IDK where I rank McDavid, but a team acheivement certainly isn't a qualifier for an individual ranking.

It's the only thing they have left. They'll clutch onto this for the rest of time and if he does win a Cup they'll be a new "ya, but..." that comes up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Is Bourque only a top-10 defenceman because he won a cup at age 40?

IDK where I rank McDavid, but a team acheivement certainly isn't a qualifier for an individual ranking.

How many of the top 10 players of all time don't have at least 1 championship?

I'd argue 0, MAYBE there is 1

The top 5 all have them for sure.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Barry Bonds has no rings, but I assume you mean NHL specifically, which I agree with.

That said - winning in the salary cap world, with 30+ teams is a lot different than winning on a stacked team against next to zero European players.

It's kind of like asking why you can't rob a bank today, even though your ancestor did it on horseback. It's simply not as easy as it once was. One player can only do so much, and McDavid has arguably done as much or more than any individual has (in a playoff run), in the histoy of the league. Winning a team trophy doesn't discredit that.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's the only thing they have left. They'll clutch onto this for the rest of time and if he does win a Cup they'll be a new "ya, but..." that comes up.

So if Edmonton turns this around and wins, we are not gonna add the cup to McDavid's resume then? Judging by your avatar, your favourite team could win the Stanley Cup and you still don't seem overly excited about playoff hockey.

Last edited:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
People have no answers for the Bourque and Hasek paradoxes.
Hasek has Nagano. 0.97 GAA. Beat star-studded teams.

In any case, I tend not to count goalies and skaters as the same. They are so different. Just complicates things... Even comparing Orr and McDavid would be difficult.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Barry Bonds has no rings, but I assume you mean NHL specifically, which I agree with.

That said - winning in the salary cap world, with 30+ teams is a lot different than winning on a stacked team against next to zero European players.

It's kind of like asking why you can't rob a bank today, even though your ancestor did it on horseback. It's simply not as easy as it once was. One player can only do so much, and McDavid has arguably done as much or more than any individual has (in a playoff run), in the histoy of the league. Winning a team trophy doesn't discredit that.

I was refering to NHL but yes there are examples in other sports.

In the NHL there MIGHT be one but I don't think so

ijuka

May 14, 2016
People have no answers for the Bourque and Hasek paradoxes.
It's so strange how eager people are to rate players by team achievements. Hell, isn't it EASIER to be a great player when your team is great, than when your team is bad? So shouldn't great individual performances be valued MORE when your team isn't performing? I guess i just don't understand how people see things.

Yes, the cup matters, but that's never won by one or two players. It's won by a couple dozen players, collectively. Patrick Kane's cup is also Sheldon Brookbank's cup. A Cup is a far easier trophy to get than something like Art Ross or Rocket, whatever people like to believe. All you need to do to get a cup is to happen to be on the right team, and to contribute at a decent level for your salary level.

yup. Will easily be top 5 by the end of his career. Guy is just on another level
He alrady is top 5, what do you mean "by the end of his career"?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It doesn't make any sense to me how you could not have McDavid top 10.

The only guy outside of Lemieux who has come close to breaking Gretzky's point record for the playoffs, a guy who has a near 1.5 points per game in his career, a guy who's peak season puts him 4th all time in points and the only player to achieve that in the salary cap era. Only Gretzky, Lemieux, McDavid, Nicholls, Esposito and Yzerman have put up 150 points in a season. This year Kucherov and Mackinnon both got 140ish and McDavid got 132, but like...that's pretty impressive company.

It's not like his hardware is lacking either considering he has 5 rosses, 3 harts and a Richard, and is likely to add a Smythe and another Hart this year and was 2 3 and 5 in his other years for Harts and also has 4 Pearsons.

Like it's literally just the cup and number of seasons but guys like Orr and Lemieux are above him with similar problems and McDavid doesn't have an injury history. I find it hard to believe he isn't in the top 10, top 5 very debatable but top 10? Only guys ahead of him for me are Ovechkin, Jagr, Beliveau, Howe and possibly Crosby. Of course you'll see guys have Harvey, Lafleur, Bourque, Morenz etc above him too, but even in the ATD thread this year he was at 16, it's obviously a lot closer than people think it is, and if you value this era, the salary cap, and pure skill/talent it's pretty hard to make an argument that he isn't.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
It's so strange how eager people are to rate players by team achievements. Hell, isn't it EASIER to be a great player when your team is great, than when your team is bad? So shouldn't great individual performances be valued MORE when your team isn't performing? I guess i just don't understand how people see things.

Yes, the cup matters, but that's never won by one or two players. It's won by a couple dozen players, collectively. Patrick Kane's cup is also Sheldon Brookbank's cup. A Cup is a far easier trophy to get than something like Art Ross or Rocket, whatever people like to believe. All you need to do to get a cup is to happen to be on the right team, and to contribute at a decent level for your salary level.

He alrady is top 5, what do you mean "by the end of his career"?
He probably doesn't have the longevity yet to be considered a top 5 player over the likes of Howe, Hasek, Jagr, Crosby, and Ovechkin yet IMO. If we're just talking peak and prime then yeah, definitely a top 5 player.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Howe for example won his championships when there were 6 teams and on teams with multiple HHoF'ers. In fact he played 20 years in a 60 league team. Expectation would be over that period that a random team would win 3.33 championships.

In Howe's first cup win he played 1 game and had 0 points. In the second win he had 2 goals and 7 assist in 8 games. He tied in points on the WIngs with Linsey and Metro Prystai. In his third cup he had 9 points in 12 games, this time tied with Delvechio and one ahead on Lindsey. Dickey Moore led the playoffs that year with 13 in 11. In his fourth cup He had 20 in 11. That was his most dominant cup run offensively but still only one point more than Lindsey who had 19 in 11. By the way the Wings goalies that year were Sawchuk and Hall.

VistamarCroissants

Apr 19, 2024
Based on what McDavid has achieved so far:
Certainly above Crosby. Probably in the area of #8-#15 all time

He probably doesn't have the longevity yet to be considered a top 5 player over the likes of Howe, Hasek, Jagr, Crosby, and Ovechkin yet IMO. If we're just talking peak and prime then yeah, definitely a top 5 player.
you forgot Robert Gordon Orr

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
He's top 5 and still has the chance to put together the singular most impressive post-season in history, if Edmonton does a reverse sweep. The Conn Smythe is his too, win or lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad