Is McDavid Top 10 For You All Time Already? If Not How Much More Does He Have to do?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
It's pretty much inevitable that he's going to finish top 10 in all time scoring, he already has 773 as a 25 year old I think he'll get into the top 5. He'll go down as an all time great.

He'll hang them up with around 600 g, 1300 a, 1900 points range putting him firmly in top 5.

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
So how many of these awesome players ahead of McDavid on some of these lists people have are from era when everyone else either absolutely sucked in comparison or there were a fraction of the teams to make winning a cup that much easier?

When we just look at the players skillset and not at the factors outside of their control there is beyond a shadow of a doubt where he lands.

TopG

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
brain dead argument. The best players play at most 25 minutes a game...so is he responsible for the 35 minutes he is not on the ice? He also plays with 5 other players on the ice the same time. Is he responsible for all the bad plays and mistakes they make? Is it his fault that his team may draft or develop poorly? Is it his fault that he is a superstar and gets paid accordingly thus leaving less room under the salary cap to build a team around him. Is it his fault that he is so good that he elevates his team to a higher finish in the standings thus drafting later in the round.
Another poster posted their top 15 centers with Mcdavid at 15 because he had no cups. !3 of those 14 had somnething in common...no salary cap era...The other was Crosby,,,and if Pittsburgh had not been lucky enough to get Malkin he quite possibly might not have any cups
The way she goes in hockey. No cups tarnishes a legacy whether you agree or not

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In terms of team accomplishments mainly, no not yet. But that's really more on the GM's he had which a player has no control over really.

In terms of "if you put the 25 greatest players ever in their prime on an ice surface and divided them up into two teams, would he stand out as one of the top 5 best players there?" .... yeah I think almost certainly.

The things he can do on an ice surface are borderline not human.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
The most dominant player I've ever seen. He's a first ballot HOF lock if he retires tomorrow, borderline top 10 already depending how you weigh team/individual awards. It'll be fun to watch and see if can somehow keep up his pace and net 60 this year. I hope he adapts his game when he inevitably starts to lose some of that crazy speed.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
How many people consider Marcel Dionne a top 10?
Dionne finished top 5 in scoring 7 times. Once winning the Art Ross, 3 times coming second, with one of those times finishing behind Gretzky. McDavid will have finished top two 7 times, 5 times winning, dominating the scoring race to a level that has only been surpassed by Gretzky and Lemieux.

You don't see a difference?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Nope.

Longevity is such a huge part of it, and he has none yet. He will almost surely be a top 10 all time player by the time he retires, he just needs more seasons and playoffs first

Reactions: zeeto

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's the best most skilled player of all time, and has been at this level for many years now. That's how I determine who goes on top.

For those saying he needs to do it longer, reach 1000 points, etc... His prime is already at least as long as Bobby Orr's, and I don't see anyone taking Bobby Orr out of the top 4 all-time (thankfully).

It looks to me just like resistance to letting any young player garner such a distinction. But if McDavid retired tomorrow it seems like people would quickly elevate his status into the pantheon.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Ability wise, it's easier to argue that McDavid is the best player of all time than he's outside top 10.
Career wise, well, let's see. McDavid is the consensus best player of our era, has all of production, awards, impressive playoff performances and the eye test to prove it. I belive it at the very least arguable that McDavid is on the same level as Hull or Beliveau.
We can say that his leads haven't been enormous (so far), the scoring has been inflated a bit, and he hasn't won a Cup yet, but - all true, but, honestly, if he had those we would expand the "big 4" already. And the talk about "two-way play" or "longevity" is simply puzzling for me, as some of the very greatest NHL players had little of those.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I mean I guess he should be at least top 10 in scoring before being considered top 10
Marcel Dionne is top 10 in scoring but never led his team to a Cup. McDavid is fun as hell to watch and he puts up a lot of points. Reminds me of the career trajectory of Dionne.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Marcel Dionne is top 10 in scoring but never led his team to a Cup. McDavid is fun as hell to watch and he puts up a lot of points. Reminds me of the career trajectory of Dionne.

The Dionne comparison is a poor one IMO. By the end of his 3rd season he already had surpassed Dionne in accolades. Dionne was a great scorer but only won the Art Ross a single time. McDavid has never finished lower than 2nd.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's interesting to see how little these rankings rely on actual player analysis.

"Jimi Hendrix was pretty good, but doesn't have the body of work and didn't win enough Grammys to be considered a top 10 guitarist of all time."
I don't think Grammy's is a good comparable for winning a cup. Putting out hit songs and/or influential songs is far more important and Hendrix did that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The Dionne comparison is a poor one IMO. By the end of his 3rd season he already had surpassed Dionne in accolades. Dionne was a great scorer but only won the Art Ross a single time. McDavid has never finished lower than 2nd.
When McDavid leads his team to a Cup then he will move up (in my eyes). But as of now he’s fun to watch when he’s got the puck and he puts up lots of points. Dionne got nearly 1800 points. He was fun as hell to watch, when he had the puck. Enjoyed watching Dionne and enjoy watching McDavid.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
He's undoubtedly top-10 in actual on-ice performance.

If he's not top-10 in "being dad's favorite hockey player", he'll have to find a way to sleep at night.

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
When McDavid leads his team to a Cup then he will move up (in my eyes). But as of now he’s fun to watch when he’s got the puck and he puts up lots of points. Dionne got nearly 1800 points. He was fun as hell to watch, when he had the puck. Enjoyed watching Dionne and enjoy watching McDavid.

I guess my point that I didn't articulate all that well is that Dionne wasn't ever really considered the best player in the league save for 2 seasons when he won the Pearson. He was always overshadowed by guys like Bobby Clarke and Guy Lafleur, and then Gretzky for the latter half of his career. He was a top 5 or 10 player for many seasons, but he was never "the guy".

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I guess my point that I didn't articulate all that well is that Dionne wasn't ever really considered the best player in the league save for 2 seasons when he won the Pearson. He was always overshadowed by guys like Bobby Clarke and Guy Lafleur, and then Gretzky for the latter half of his career. He was a top 5 or 10 player for many seasons, but he was never "the guy".
Bobby Clarke was a very good player, but (IMO) wasn't in the same offensive category as Dionne. Clarke was a guy who teams win Cups with. Skilled yes, but he was so much more than skill. McDavid is fabulous, but there have been a lot of fabulous players. When he leads his team to a Cup then he will move up for me. Right now I see a fabulous player with the puck.

Reactions: Dust
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad