Is McDavid the only difference between Buffalo and Edmonton's trajectory?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I had this mini-discussion over on the Sabres forum with someone who thinks Edmonton's management is just as bad as the Sabres' over the last ten years or so, but having McDavid compensates for it to the extent that they just made it to 1 game away from a Cup. I don't know if I buy it. The Sabres have had so many highly skilled players (granted, none in McDavid's stratosphere, obviously) that with even mildly competent management, they should have been able to turn it around by now. So many top picks and players who were bad or just okay in Buffalo and went on to succeed elsewhere. However, I'm not as familiar with the situation in Edmonton. Has McDavid really propped up an organization as inept as Buffalo's all on his own? What does the main board think?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
McDavid and/or Dria >>>>>> any Forward(s) on the Sabres
That's the biggest difference.

The Oilers team itself isn't that impressive they put together an impressive season following the coaching change. You remove the 2 names from the Oilers and they're a non PO team.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Saw a tweet yesterday that was so starkly accurate it hurt my soul.

Buffalo losing the lottery is why McDavid doesn’t have a cup.

Because they would have traded him to a great team by now like Eichel, RoR, Reinhart…

So true it actually hurts

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Not going to argue with you there, but that's true for the majority of teams, including playoff teams.
The thing is that difference is what keeps the oilers afloat.
Look at the Oilers from Oct to the coaching change.
McDavid was struggling(Injured IIRC) and the team was literally the worst in the league. He got healthy and they took off. (some benefit from coaching too obviously)
Another way to say it, is the Sabres best forward would probably be the 4th/5th best Oiler.
But the big difference is the 2 at the very top. If the sabres had that they'd be in better shape

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
BUF traded their McDavid and Draisaitl for Tuch, Krebs, picks, Devon Levi and Jiri Kulich.
Both Reinhart and EIchel are now cup winners.

Reactions: BHD

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Saw a tweet yesterday that was so starkly accurate it hurt my soul.

Buffalo losing the lottery is why McDavid doesn’t have a cup.

Because they would have traded him to a great team by now like Eichel, RoR, Reinhart…

So true it actually hurts
Ouch. :laugh:

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I am going to say yes, that's accurate. It's more so because McDavid would be able to make THAT much of a difference on the Sabres.

Most likely Reinhart doesn't leave and now you have your 1C putting up 140 points and your 2C potting 55+ goals. Yes its some butterfly effect so, I'll stop there. Samson was drafted just before McEichel so it works.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
McDavid and/or Dria >>>>>> any Forward(s) on the Sabres
That's the biggest difference.

The Oilers team itself isn't that impressive they put together an impressive season following the coaching change. You remove the 2 names from the Oilers and they're a non PO team.
agree.. but BUF also traded away their stars. OTT is more comparable to Sabers than EDM.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In hindsight, Buffalo should have done a lot more with the pieces they possessed at one point or another:

O’Reilly, Eichel, Reinhart, Ullmark, Rodrigues, Kane, McCabe, Montour, Hagel.

Jan 21, 2018
Edmonton was the biggest joke in the NHL until they won the lottery in 2015.

Had Buffalo won McDavid, Oilers would have the longest playoff drought in the league currently.
I am also curious about the player Draisaitl would have become with Eichel instead.

Agreed, so many people forget how much of a joke the oilers were back then despite having several lottery picks on their roster

I don’t know how they still have zero cups after drafting all of those lottery picks, especially since one of them will end up as one of the best players of all time

I wonder how many cups mcdavid would have by now if he was drafted by any other team besides edmonton

Jan 21, 2018

Had Buffalo won McDavid, Oilers would have the longest playoff drought in the league currently.
I am also curious about the player Draisaitl would have become with Eichel instead.

Agreed, so many people forget how much of a joke the oilers were back then despite having several lottery picks on their roster

I don’t know how they still have zero cups after drafting all of those lottery picks, especially since one of them will end up as one of the best players of all time

I wonder how many cups mcdavid would have by now if he was drafted by any other team besides edmonton

Hopefully Edmonton doesn’t waste mcdavid’s career like Montreal wasted Carey price’s career, it would be a shame if mcdavid also retired with zero Stanley cups.

Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010

100%

The Oilers are not even a playoff team in the Atlantic. Bob had 2 bad games in the series, and that is the only reason the Oilers had any chance in that series at all. Look at the garbage teams they played in the west to get to the finals. They had a free pass with Vancouvers 3rd string goalie in net.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
100%

The Oilers are not even a playoff team in the Atlantic. Bob had 2 bad games in the series that is uncharacteristic of him, and that is the only reason the Oilers had any chance in that series at all. Look at the garbage teams they played in the west to get to the finals. They had a free pass.
Definitely true, if you put the Leafs in the Pacific the Cup would be back in Canada right now and Matthews would have broke Gretzky’s points record by like 50 points and 100 goals

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I find Buffalo had all the chances and tools. Just very bad management, ownership and coaching. Lindy Ruff isn't going to improve this team, Brunette is just the reason the Devils were good in his only career year there.

It's funny considering the players that leave go on to win cups or play in the finals. If Buffalo had all that together they'd be an excellent team. I do believe they're headed in the right direction, just need a solid management and coaching staff.

Edmonton is still a joke honestly. If they didn't have McDavid, they'd also not have Draisaitl and they'd be in the basement again.

Reactions: Artemi Panarin

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
BUF traded their McDavid and Draisaitl for Tuch, Krebs, picks, Devon Levi and Jiri Kulich.
Both Reinhart and EIchel are now cup winners.
Buffalo had

Eichel
Reinhart
Ristolainen
ROR
Montour

--trades---

Tuch, krebs, Greenway, Ostlund
Levi, Kulich
Rosen, Wahlberg
Thompson, Ryan Jonhson
Sardarian

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

As a german he would have felt like it was an ongoing october flr the first few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad