Is Marner the best passer in the league

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Really!!!! Thats interesting. I've never heard Marner's pass quality ever interpreted as anything but elite.

You would have your hands full debating willy as a better passer but i respect your opinion. Willy is a great passer too. :))
Whenever I see passes under an opponents stick the way marner does, I am just astounded. I never even thought about trying that...ever.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Since I've been all about the TOI-adjustments* lately, here's Marner from season to season:

ES-P​
ES-P1​
PP-P​
PP-P1​
P​
P1​
16-17​
13​
10​
7​
4​
20​
14​
17-18​
12​
8​
9​
6​
21​
14​
18-19​
20​
20​
8​
6​
28​
26​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That's quite the step up, especially at even strength. And I don't believe linemates are that big of a factor here. He might have replaced Bozak/Kadri with Tavares, but he also replaced JvR with Hyman.

* So this is basically the total and primary points that Marner had in 16/17 and 17/18 at the point where he had played as many minutes as he has now.

If we had a player like Kreider or Saad (when he was actually good) who hunt pucks like Hyman but actually have finishing ability in front of the net, Marner honestly might lead the league in scoring at this point.

Secondary assists are clearly the limiting factor.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If we had a player like Kreider or Saad (when he was actually good) who hunt pucks like Hyman but actually have finishing ability in front of the net, Marner honestly might lead the league in scoring at this point.

Secondary assists are clearly the limiting factor.

Apparently Kreider might be available. I'd do it if a decent deal could happen.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I recall reading the posts on this forum......Marner was described as creative and exciting.
Strome was considered skilled but slow.
So when the draft was on I was praying for marner.,without ever haven seen any of them play.
Seems to me that a lot of posters here know at least as much as the pros...

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
I recall reading the posts on this forum......Marner was described as creative and exciting.
So when the draft was on I was praying for marner.,without ever haven seen any of them play.

The pros get it wrong many times.
Of course, that's not to say every HF poster knows more than pro scouts, but it is worth pointing out that it is an old boys network and a large number of people in positions of scouting/drafting power do a horrible job, but keep getting employed because of the old boys network.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Shame you didn't get to watch Marner in London that year. He was the most exciting player I have watched in London since Kane. Every night he was doing something special, and he and Dvorak seemed to have Sedin-like chemistry

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Shame you didn't get to watch Marner in London that year. He was the most exciting player I have watched in London since Kane. Every night he was doing something special, and he and Dvorak seemed to have Sedin-like chemistry

I saw him the next year ,after he was drafted.
You're right...he was incredible.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner might want to cool it with the spinoramas in the slot. He's lucky that he didn't get obliterated.

Marner is one of those guys that feels like he is made out of liquid, opposition players start licking their lips for a big hit next thing they know they’ve grazed his jersey and he is skating away. Like last game if you catch him by surprise he still can get out of the tracks

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The pros get it wrong many times.
Of course, that's not to say every HF poster knows more than pro scouts, but it is worth pointing out that it is an old boys network and a large number of people in positions of scouting/drafting power do a horrible job, but keep getting employed because of the old boys network.
Yeah. I think it's quite telling that even a lousy statistical system like drafting by point production would historically have done better than the actual drafts. That's... not good.

Reactions: Menzinger

JamieG19

Dec 8, 2017
Marner is one of those guys that feels like he is made out of liquid, opposition players start licking their lips for a big hit next thing they know they’ve grazed his jersey and he is skating away. Like last game if you catch him by surprise he still can get out of the tracks

I think what some of us are saying though, is that sooner or later it's going to catch up to him and when he's out cold on the ice, you'll be thinking "maybe he shouldn't have tried that"...

Nobody wants to see that. Marner is awesome and a great player to watch, but you can see it coming if it keeps up...it could have happened Saturday night if Gudas was more competitive.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good

Liquid Gretzky

To have both Marner and Matthews AT THE SAME TIME is like having two generational talents at the same time and on the same team no less.

Yeah I said it. Marner is a generational talent.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Liquid Gretzky

To have both Marner and Matthews AT THE SAME TIME is like having two generational talents at the same time and on the same team no less.

Yeah I said it. Marner is a generational talent.

Well I wouldn’t go that far. He’s a great player though, if forced to I take matthews in a heart beat he is better than marner

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
He's doing great this year. Some games, many games, in fact, the Leafs will rely on him to crack the opponents defense. If he keeps his head up, and keeps improving, I really can't say how good he'll be. First things first, though: tonight's game against the Bruins.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He's doing great this year. Some games, many games, in fact, the Leafs will rely on him to crack the opponents defense. If he keeps his head up, and keeps improving, I really can't say how good he'll be. First things first, though: tonights game against the Bruins.
He needs some pick luck too. His shooting percentage is quite low

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Three assists, but only 2 shots on goal.

Kid needs to choose his shots better, for better balance.

Stay humble, Mitchelle.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Never thought I'd say this but Marner>Tavares? Tavares is a beast but Marner seems to be on a whole other level this season. Although it's great that Marner's passes can actually be scored with Tavares as his linemate!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Never thought I'd say this but Marner>Tavares? Tavares is a beast but Marner seems to be on a whole other level this season. Although it's great that Marner's passes can actually be scored with Tavares as his linemate!

Going into this season I imagined he would have more points between the two but they are close overall, Tavares is a great goal scorer and brings a two-way game like Marner but Marner controls the play far more. Honestly Marner is ridiculous, most primary assists after 25 games since Lemieux in 2002-03, more than Crosby in 2012-13.

Reactions: The Cobra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad