Is Lukas Dostal Quietly Elite?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He’s certainly up there with any elite young goaltending property there is out there. This isn’t 5 game sample of a 30 year-old backup. Dostal has been one of the best goalie prospects in the league for a while, was very good last year as a rookie for the Ducks and he was stellar in winning the World Championships with Czechia in the summer.

Comparing him to Lyon or Lankinen because “5-games” is a complete over-simplification. His start is a just a continuation of really promising development.
Yeah the thread title is premature given the sample but he's absolutely in the conversation for young goaltenders who can be elite.

Reactions: MaWa and Czechboy

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Yes he's good I like Dostal. Reminds me of montembault alot. Both play similar style, both on dumpy teams. And both quietly underrated.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1729995782954.png

This is unsustainable on a rebuilding team... but what a start!

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It is way too early too early to even consider the word elite.

When he first came up, I wasn’t that sold on him. Like many young, and not so young goalies, the soft goals were the question marks.

He seems to have settled in and playing well. It is a wait and see situation as young goalies can go from Vezina in December to the AHL in March.

He is looking to extend to legacy of good Duck goalies going back to Guy Hebert. The Ducks have been fortunate to have few lean goalie years with a rotating door in front of the net.

John

Reactions: Emerald Duck

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
The D in anaheim is going to be very good quick! I'm not a Ducks fan but I like their rebuild so far! Minyukov is a beaut.

But

This year they will be cannon fodder.lol

With any young D corps it's a bit rough going. I don't care how talented they are, NHL dmen will make lots of mistakes until they're approaching their mid 20s. There's a reason you don't see teams loading up on cheap young dmen for the playoffs.

Right now at any moment, there's at least one first or second year dman on the ice for the Ducks at all times. Not to mention all the young forwards. It won't be a good defensive team for a few years, but there's real promise.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
With any young D corps it's a bit rough going. I don't care how talented they are, NHL dmen will make lots of mistakes until they're approaching their mid 20s. There's a reason you don't see teams loading up on cheap young dmen for the playoffs.

Right now at any moment, there's at least one first or second year dman on the ice for the Ducks at all times. Not to mention all the young forwards. It won't be a good defensive team for a few years, but there's real promise.
Couldn't agree more. It's a great squad with some really nice picks. This year will be rough (including for Dostal who will eventually see his numbers go way down because of the rebuilding team). But that D will get better and better. Add in a UFA or 2 and back to a playoff team and Dostal starts looking much better.

FTR.. I've loved how Dostal has played so far. Such a calm goalie. He is our next Vokoun and hopefully takes a step further than that. I really like this Dostal/Anaheim combo a lot more than, for instance, Jiricek/Columbus or Kulich/Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad