Is Kucherov a clear-cut #2 in the NHL as we're speaking?

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
k lets switch their positions this year McDavid gets to ride and actually play on TB all season with a dominant team Kucherov sits out all season and the Oilers don't even make the playoffs without a star to play for them.....guess Kucherov would be doing "nothing" when it matters guess your argument falls apart there huh when the guy can't sit out an entire season and still make the playoffs because it "doesn't matter".
Lol bad post

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
He is #1 for me. Better regular season peak, playoffs a non contest obviously. People like to argue Roy over Hasek all the time for example based on playoffs, now imagine if Roy also had a higher regular season peak and Hasek was a playoff no show.
I guess you missed the most recent regular season. Fair to say he has a better playoff resume but his team is also stacked and can win games without him. The same can't be said about McDavid.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Kucherov's all-time level playoff run just weighs more than regular season greatness, so I would put him in the conversation for best player in the game right beside McDavid, or right behind him or slightly ahead of him.

To frame it another way. When McDavid is going off on the powerplay for a 4 point night against the Vancouver Canucks, you can sit back and say "well, let's see him do this in the playoffs when it really matters." When Kucherov is lifting the cup, you don't say "well, you've won a Stanley Cup and dominated the playoffs, but let's see you do this on a Tuesday night in November."

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The guy who plays on Tampa? Lol. Don't they have like 4 of the best players in the World right now including 1 at every single important position?

Tough to gauge a guy when this team could have won the Cup without him but he's clearly an elite offensive player.

He's probably the best winger in the game right now with Panarin and Kane close behind.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't think so. Is he even the clear cut #1 or #2 on his own team? Between Kucherov, Point, Hedman, and Vasilevskiy I think you can make legitimate arguments to put those guys in any order from 1-4 on the team. Kucherov is obviously a supremely elite player, but I consider Hedman and Vasilevskiy to be the best defenceman and goalie in the world, and Point's an elite defender and top 10C who's a playoff maniac too. It's just hard for me to take the best winger (and even that's debatable vs. Pastrnak and Panarin IMO) over all three of the guys at premium positions.

That's not to say I think it's some crazy opinion to call him the 2nd best player in the world. He won the Hart two seasons ago and he's better than Draisaitl, so if you want to call the 2nd best of the last 3 Hart winners the 2nd best player in the league that checks out to me. I just don't think it's clear cut when Hedman, MacKinnon, Makar, Matthews, Panarin, Pastrnak, Crosby, Vasilevskiy, or Hellebuyck all have a legitimate claim to that spot in my opinion, with MacKinnon's case likely the strongest.

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
Last 3 seasons for Kucherov:
Most points in a season since 95-96
Most assists EVER for a winger in a season.
Most assists EVER for a winger in a playoff run.
3rd most assists ever for a winger in a playoff run (active, likely end up top 2)
3rd player ever with back to back 30 point playoff runs (Gretzky and Lemieux).
Art
2 time playoff scoring leader
Hart
Lindsay

Ofcourse Kucherov is top 2.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The guy who plays on Tampa? Lol. Don't they have like 4 of the best players in the World right now including 1 at every single important position?

Tough to gauge a guy when this team could have won the Cup without him but he's clearly an elite offensive player.

He's probably the best winger in the game right now with Panarin and Kane close behind.

But that's what greatness looks like... steel sharpens steel.

There's no special honour in being man alone trying to do it on your and ending in futility.

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
So... What makes McDavid the best player is because he plays for an anemic organization? At least that's the impression I get from this thread.

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I guess you missed the most recent regular season. Fair to say he has a better playoff resume but his team is also stacked and can win games without him. The same can't be said about McDavid.
Kucherov have most more Playoff points last 10 Years than any other player. Question is not Connor vs Kucherov - Question is regualr Kuch + Playoff Kuch compared to regular McD + playoff McD.
Tampa didnt won and wont win witout him SC

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
It's tough to compare him to centers. Winger will always be the "less valuable" position.

Top three centers:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews

Top three wingers:

Kucherov
Breadman
Stone

Top three D:

Fox
Hedman
Pietrangelo

Top three goalies:

Vasilevskiy
Hellebuyck
Fleury

Last edited:

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
Hard to argue he doesn't benefit from playing on a powerhouse team when he misses the entire season and they play at a 110 point pace over 56 games without him.

But, if he did put up that hypothetical season, he might change some minds.
show me any Kuchs Draisaitl lvl linemate

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Comparing F/D/Gs is too subjective IMO, but among forwards, McDavid is the clear cut #1 for me. I think for #2, you can argue any of Kucherov, MacKinnon, Matthews or Drai. Kucherov is arguably #2, but not clear cut.

Last edited:

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008

Why no one talked about Tampa in regular season, and why no one talked about Point? Maybe Kucherov make Tampa best team in NHL and maybe he make Point a top 5 player?

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Point is better.
No he is not! Point was barely even a top 20 player without Kucherov this season. Draisaitl is at least a top 5 without a doubt. I know it's a North American forum but it's almost embarrassing when people try to make player like Point better than kucherov and Draisaitl. (Point is good player ofcourse, but not top 5)

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
No he is not! Point was barely even a top 20 player without Kucherov this season. Draisaitl is at least a top 5 without a doubt. I know it's a North American forum but it's almost embarrassing when people try to make player like Point better than kucherov and Draisaitl. (Point is good player ofcourse, but not top 5)
I'm putting Kucherov in a tier with Pastrnak and Panarin as the three best wingers in the world. I've said I think the best goalie and defenceman in the world are Vasilevskiy and Hedman. Kinda strange to accuse me of North America bias because I think Point is better than Draisaitl or Kucherov. I think Barkov or prime Kopitar or Datsyuk was better than both too. I will take an elite two way center over an elite non-transcendental (eg. a winger below the level of prime Ovechkin) winger in most cases.

I also just don't think Draisaitl's a top 5 player. Off the top of my head and in no particular order, McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Matthews, Pastrnak, Panarin, Kucherov, Hedman, Makar, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Eichel, Marchand, Stone, Barkov, and Point are all players I think are better. You can agree or disagree with me all you like, that's fine. It's just bizzare to call that North American bias.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not gonna circumvent reality. I would be willing to make a loophole free bet that there's no cap to how good he can get. Anyone who disagrees is corrupt.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

and he stands above all of those best players

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I'm putting Kucherov in a tier with Pastrnak and Panarin as the three best wingers in the world. I've said I think the best goalie and defenceman in the world are Vasilevskiy and Hedman. Kinda strange to accuse me of North America bias because I think Point is better than Draisaitl or Kucherov. I think Barkov or prime Kopitar or Datsyuk was better than both too. I will take an elite two way center over an elite non-transcendental (eg. a winger below the level of prime Ovechkin) winger in most cases.

I also just don't think Draisaitl's a top 5 player. Off the top of my head and in no particular order, McDavid, Crosby, MacKinnon, Matthews, Pastrnak, Panarin, Kucherov, Hedman, Makar, Hellebuyck, Vasilevskiy, Eichel, Marchand, Stone, Barkov, and Point are all players I think are better. You can agree or disagree with me all you like, that's fine. It's just bizzare to call that North American bias.
Drai is a recent hart and Ross winner he is much better than point , however overall tampa do have the better team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad