Is it just me or has NHL been dead quiet recently?

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Is it just me or has the storylines, news, and events been nothing but of silence? I think it has been better in the previous years, but this year, there hasn't been much action. GMs are awfully quiet and we don't hear much discussions on rumours, or last minute signings or trades. PTOs are pretty limited. And I don't feel the hype of the season starting soon. This doesn't feel normal to me, like in past years.

Anyone feel the same way?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not much to talk about or to be hype for when the draft was so weak and all. We had the McDavid Eichel and Laine Matthews storylines in the past few years.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I feel like 2 or 3 years we were spoiled with the amount of news and rumors coming out from the journalists. Then there seemed to be a halt in rumors and news and unless it's a major story it doesn't get reported. Seems like just before the x-mas freeze we get rumors, around the all star game and TDL and then the draft/FA frenzy. Oustide of those times its slim pickins for NHL news and stories.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
If you're talking recently just remember it is the dreaded August, nothing fun hockey-related really happens in August outside of a few things.

I do agree that this off season has been one of the most boring ones lately pretty sure the last trade was almost two months ago when Kruger got dealt to the Canes iirc

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Teams are now locking up their players before they hit FA, and even the second-tier UFAs are re-signing earlier or getting signed in the first week.

By this time of the year, you're typically getting camp rosters in the next week or so which may result in some more PTOs and some depth UFA signings.

Aside from a RFA signing or the rare blockbuster trade, I'm not sure what you're specifically looking for.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
it's the off season. i pretty much only care about the actual playing of the game of hockey and don't get much of a thrill from the tmz aspect of the game.

it's not dead per say, it's the reality of the sport.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The NHL getting no publicity in the offseason is not good. The NBA has gotten so much this summer. But their star players actually switch teams. The cap has killed offseason fun.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Is it just me or has the storylines, news, and events been nothing but of silence? I think it has been better in the previous years, but this year, there hasn't been much action. GMs are awfully quiet and we don't hear much discussions on rumours, or last minute signings or trades. PTOs are pretty limited. And I don't feel the hype of the season starting soon. This doesn't feel normal to me, like in past years.

Anyone feel the same way?

DUDE

JUST

DUDE

It is auguest

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Only Basketball seems to always having something going on and pretty much only because ESPN can't go a day without talking about it.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I have to imagine most front offices take August off considering June/early July is draft/UFA season and September is training camps.

Just smaller things now... Lets everyone from the players and management enjoy the break from hockey.

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016
Last August a big topic of conversation was the upcoming World Cup, so maybe that's why you feel like it's been more quiet this year. Literally nothing to look forward to until training camp.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
August and early September are the worst for hockey. All the excitement of the free agents and rookie camps are gone. There's literally nothing to talk about. It's like this every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad