Is it a surprise HNIC chose Bartlett to call the ECF over Singh/Debrusk?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Can the ppl that hate most announcers name one or two they actually like? PBP criticism has gone over the top, who even cares. Comes of as jealousy especially in the Leah hextall case, if some of u wanted a job in hockey shoulda worked for one.
Like:
Gord Miller
Chris Cuthbert
Jack Michaels
Rick Ball
and recently retired Jim Hughson

Dislike:
Hanarayhan Singh
Jack Edwards
and recently retired Dave Randorf
Leah Hextall

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
The Edmonton 1440 show had Steve Lanksy on today (around 1pm Edmonton time). The guy was talking about broadcasters that will change the way they call to try and get jobs or get deeper in “the family”, as opposed to doing the best job they can.

Makes me think of DeBrusk who went from being an Oilers homer to a Toronto sportscaster. Singh has changed a bit (stopped singing opponent names) but he doesn’t fellate every Oilers opponent like Debrusk does now.

I felt like he was trash talking a number of sportscasters like Simpson and Debrusk. Kind of confirmed how I thought it works in Canada hockey broadcasting.

Reactions: Cloned

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Singh was just a news reporter before being handed the job of play by play.

Most play by play guys work their dues on juniors and local radio before even getting a sniff at minors, then work their way up.

cruisecity

May 24, 2024
Singh and Debrusk together don't work well at all. There is a rapport between Michaels and Debrusk that makes it 100x better. Debrusk is only good with Michaels, but I believe Michaels is good with everyone. Easily my favourite pbp guy.

Singh is lost almost constantly. There are a lot of horrible pbp guys these days and he fits right into the rest of the pile of garbage.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If you guys had to listen to McDonough calling your games, you'd be begging for Singh, believe me.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Like:
Gord Miller
Chris Cuthbert
Jack Michaels
Rick Ball

Dislike:
Hanarayhan Singh
Jack Edwards
Leah Hextall
Randorf is retired? News to me, I thought he has been calling games for the Bolts?

Reactions: Tofveve

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Like:
Gord Miller
Chris Cuthbert
Jack Michaels
Rick Ball

Dislike:
Hanarayhan Singh
Jack Edwards
Leah Hextall
Randorf retired?.....seems like he just took the Tampa gig recently

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Re: Cuthbert. His constant high pitch grates on me so much. Why can't they find announcers with normal sounding voices?
Not only dies Cuthbert have a super high pitch voice, but he also has a dumb looking smirk on his face at all times.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like the move. Singh has enthusiasm but he's not a top PBP guy...some of his vernacular clearly display a non hockey background.

I am more surprised that Friedman finally got demoted...he seemed the most untouchable guy at Sportsnet but with the Leafs gone, it's time for some real hockey analysis, and Rick Bowness is refreshing with a coach's insight into hockey and some of the players.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Singh called the Rangers-Carolina series and i thought he was great. you canadians have clearly never had to listen to sean mcdonough lol
I don’t mind Singh. I can take him or leave him. Louie Debrusk is awful though. Just like Jack Michaels, he shouldn’t be anywhere near a national broadcast either.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I can't recall Bartlett's voice, but I know Singh is horrific.

Another reason might be that Singh/DeBrusk might've gone on vacation or whatever because Cuthbert/Simpson covered the Oilers/Canucks and would for sure get round 3's call, so they're unavailable for this one.
To each his/her own. I like the work Harnaryan does.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t mind Singh. I can take him or leave him. Louie Debrusk is awful though. Just like Jack Michaels, he shouldn’t be anywhere near a national broadcast either.

Michaels sometimes reminds me of low level horse track announcer. Not my cup of tea.

Bartlett is the best hockey PbP man working anywhere right now - he calls the game exactly like Bob Cole.

Yeah as I think about it deeper, Bartlett might be the best one in the business right now.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Like:
Gord Miller Loved
Chris Cuthbert Still good.
Jack Michaels Great
Rick Ball ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz
and recently retired Jim Hughson GREAT SAVEEE LUONGO!!!! even if Luongo wasnt in net. Huge pass.

Dislike:
Hanarayhan Singh Great
Jack Edwards Awful. Zzzzzzz People think Singh and Michaels are awful and one sided, Listen to this man call Bruin games. Yikes.
and recently retired Dave Randorf Pretty good.
Leah Hextall Awful.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I usually rag on Hrudey a bit, but I thought his analysis for game 3 of the Dallas/Edmonton game and game 4 of the Rangers/Florida game (minus his prediction of Shesty lol) was some of his better work. Usually he doesn't contribute much of a value I find. So this is me giving more credit to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad