Is it a surprise HNIC chose Bartlett to call the ECF over Singh/Debrusk?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It just came down to east vs. west. If the #1 group was doing the ECF, then Singh and DeBrusk would be on the WCF.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
It just came down to east vs. west. If the #1 group was doing the ECF, then Singh and DeBrusk would be on the WCF.
Nah, Singh is deservedly down the depth chart. Pretty sure they had him on the Rags/Canes in Rd 2, so he's not exclusive to the west

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
As an Oilers fan, we get the Singh/DeBrusk combo often. Singh is easily the worst PBP guy I've heard in Canada
He is monotone for the most part. I find I drift off listening to him ramble on with his boring play calling.
It seems that he doesn't understand the game enough and know where he should be raising his voice in excitement.
He'll gloss over a big hit at the blueline or a amazing pass but them emphasize a defender going behind his net to regroup. His timing is all off. Always has been

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
As an Oilers fan, we get the Singh/DeBrusk combo often. Singh is easily the worst PBP guy I've heard in Canada
He is monotone for the most part. I find I drift off listening to him ramble on with his boring play calling.
It seems that he doesn't understand the game enough and know where he should be raising his voice in excitement.
He'll gloss over a big hit at the blueline or a amazing pass but them emphasize a defender going behind his net to regroup. His timing is all off. Always has been
Sounds better than Sean McDonough lol

He's so bad with his calls recently.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Singh & DeBrusk aren’t very good, not sure how Bartlett compares.
None of them are good anymore at least in Sportsnet. There a few really good ones in the USA, but Sportsnet outside of Cuthbert is absolute garboooooge. And don't get me started on the Sportsnet cameramen either. Lol doing closeups on random fans eating a hotdog during the intros, instead of showing the entire arena waiving their towels....f*** now I'm getting heated.

Bring back Gary T and Bob. Bring back the cameramen. And bring back the dude that did all the HNIC montages. What the hell happened Sportsnet??

Reactions: BTO

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
It does feel like there isn’t an obvious “next voice of hockey” and that concerns me. Not sure if the last generation is pumped up by nostalgia but broadcasts just seem to be missing an iconic voice.

Maybe the next TV deal in Canada will force a hard reset. Or maybe it will just be a shuffling of the same deck. Would be curious if there’s any promising up-and-comers in the minor leagues.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Sounds better than Sean McDonough lol

He's so bad with his calls recently.
Don't know who that is. I'm assuming an American guy.
As bad a s Singh is, he's still better than all American PBP guys. I can't watch any US broadcasts. Their PBP & colour guys are all just awful.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Singh/Debrusk are supposed to be the #2 commentary crew for HNIC and normally they would get the secondary assignment for the Conference Finals.

Instead HNIC chose the third (maybe even fourth) commentary crew. It’s slightly eyebrow raising I think. I can’t imagine Singh/Debrusk asked for time off; they’d want the series and the airtime.
How are Singh/DeBrusk the #2 team? I would have thought the Garry Galley is the #2 colour guy at least, behind Simpson (who actually should be #119 he’s so bad) and always has been.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
How are Singh/DeBrusk the #2 team? I would have thought the Garry Galley is the #2 colour guy at least, behind Simpson (who actually should be #119 he’s so bad) and always has been.
Singh/Debrusk usually get the secondary assignments.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Can the ppl that hate most announcers name one or two they actually like? PBP criticism has gone over the top, who even cares. Comes of as jealousy especially in the Leah hextall case, if some of u wanted a job in hockey shoulda worked for one.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It does feel like there isn’t an obvious “next voice of hockey” and that concerns me. Not sure if the last generation is pumped up by nostalgia but broadcasts just seem to be missing an iconic voice.

Maybe the next TV deal in Canada will force a hard reset. Or maybe it will just be a shuffling of the same deck. Would be curious if there’s any promising up-and-comers in the minor leagues.

It kind of feels like a vacant throne these days. Getting the #1 gig on hnic the last couple of iterations has meant getting a highly acclaimed guy who has lost a few miles off their fastball (Hughson and Cuthbert).

Honestly I think Bartlett is the closest they have to be the next guy on that throne. I've been listening to him off and on for about a decade now, and once you get past the nasal delivery, he's pretty darn good.

But yeah, he doesn't scream iconic or anything like that.

Aside from that, we are looking at Gord Miller but I haven't heard him call a game for a long time, and he's no spring chicken either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad