Is hockey dying in Quebec ?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The shift in Canada from hockey to basketball is real.

There are now 27 NBA players from Canada, making Canada the largest producer of NBA talent outside the US. There are about 330 Americans in the NBA. Which means that per capita, Canada produces about 70% as much NBA talent as the US. In the 70s and 80s Canada produced under 1% of the US per capita for basketball talent.

About 50% of the Canadian NBA players all time are currently in the NBA.

The growth of basketball in Canada has been an explosion. You can see it with record youth participation across the country. TV viewership continues to hit new heights, backed by the Raptors win.

Basketball is the market leader for new Canadians. The NHL is barely ahead of NFL and MLS.
Would you say Basketball is more popular amongst Black Canadians (non immigrant in particular, since I know we've talked about immigration effects on hockey popularity earlier) than Ice Hockey?

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Would you say Basketball is more popular amongst Black Canadians (non immigrant in particular, since I know we've talked about immigration effects on hockey popularity earlier) than Ice Hockey?
This is a big part of it, but basketball is way more popular with South Asian people too. In most Canadian cities they're the largest minority group.

Like 80% of black people in Canada are either immigrants or children of immigrants. So it's hard to separate the immigration effect.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
so hockey is cheaper in other provinces ? or the people are poorer in Quebec ?

It's a problem throughout Canada.

My brother's kid in Edmonton is the most athletic kid I've ever seen, dominates older kids in street hockey, and was a good skater the first time I put him on ice around age 5. He's 8 now and has never played and likely will never play ice hockey.

Also the people talking about how hockey isn't cool and isn't urban - all the kids I've been talking about are obsessed with hockey and want to play it, it's just not an option financially.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I have a couple cousins in Quebec, two families that each have young sons. I'm not even going to ask them if they have plans to put the boys in hockey. They can't even afford day care and the mortgage / rent as is. Those are going to be soccer players.

Day care in Quebec is practically for free and has been for a long time.

I have family who left Toronto to live in Montreal just for the super cheap daycare and they wanted to have multiple children.

Rent is also cheap in Montreal.

My family owns a triplex in Montreal and it’s basically The same amount from 30 years ago.

The triplex is located near the Greek area in Montreal that’s pretty close to the Olympic stadium.

Sorry I don’t know the name of the area. I haven’t been in 20 some odd years.

parents still own it though

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Day care in Quebec is practically for free and has been for a long time.

I have family who left Toronto to live in Montreal just for the super cheap daycare and they wanted to have multiple children.

That particular example came from my cousin in Gatineau, who just told me the situation this week. It was a complicated story involving a bad day care. I didn't intend to explain how it works for everyone.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
That particular example came from my cousin in Gatineau, who just told me the situation this week. It was a complicated story involving a bad day care. I didn't intend to explain how it works for everyone.

Ohh Gatineau

Ottawa’s French Sister

The whole province have subsidized childcare for ages.

Maybe they wanted to avoid public childcare. I only have family in Montreal, Laval and Quebec City. But I’m assuming it should still be the same in Gatineau. But I have absolutely no clue

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I can't speak specifically about Quebec but from the things I read online and hear from local hockey parents, there seems to be a much larger emphasis on practice and training these days than just going out, having fun with your friends and playing games. When I played minor hockey in the mid-1990s, your base registration got you 2 games and 1 practice per week. Guaranteed. Everything else beyond that (rep teams, out of town games, try-outs, etc.) was extra.

When I started minor hockey I dreaded practice. There were a couple coaches there who quite frankly scared me. They had no problem yelling at kids for making mistakes in individual drills. Looking back, pretty intense for a novice-aged practice.

By the time I got to Midget, I was even getting tired of that 1 practice a week. I'd rather just play more games. I wasn't going anywhere like the vast majority of players so why practice much at that point? It's only for fun really when you get to that stage. And hockey is one of my few true passions in life. So if I was tired of practice, what about others kids who enjoyed playing, but it wasn't the be-all, end-all for them. They just found other, more fun interests including other competitive sports, and quit hockey.

Everyone's development curve is different. How many great athletes (and potential future NHLers) have left minor hockey along the way in Atom/PeeWee/Bantam because they simply got tired of all the emphasis on practice and skills development and not enough emphasis on playing more games? A lot of that practice conducted by adults who have no business coaching kids.

When kids were playing on outdoor rinks and ponds and they had enough bodies around, they were playing games, not running drills. Now I hear it's normally 2 practices and 1 game. I don't think I'd play minor hockey if it was like that when I grew up.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Lafreniere didn't quite live up the hype right away but is getting better.

Huberdeau was good and then fell off hard.

Drouin has not been very good, but sometimes is ok.

Dubois is sometimes good but inconsistent.

Prospects can kinda come and go and are hard to predict once they get in the NHL.

I think the bigger concern is that they really aren't even producing high end draft prospects the last few drafts since then. Lafreniere was a late 01, drafted 1st in 2020. Then you have Zachary Bolduc and Xavier Bourgault, mid 1sts in 2021. Nathan Gaucher and Maveric Lamoureux as mid to late firsts in 2022. Then no 1sts in 2023, and you look at 2024, and will there any be 1sts? Possibly not for a second straight year.

They are really lagging behind year compared to years past.
I think Boisvert is pretty much a lock for the first round this year. Masse has a chance too.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
True. Forgot Boisvert is from Quebec since doesn’t play in the Q.
But you are right , it seems like there are less and less people from Quebec interested in putting their kids in hockey. It's expensive, the parents are crazy and lots of politics even in the early stages.

I think

rogking65

May 13, 2016
It's a problem throughout Canada.

My brother's kid in Edmonton is the most athletic kid I've ever seen, dominates older kids in street hockey, and was a good skater the first time I put him on ice around age 5. He's 8 now and has never played and likely will never play ice hockey.

Also the people talking about how hockey isn't cool and isn't urban - all the kids I've been talking about are obsessed with hockey and want to play it, it's just not an option financially.
still does not address why Quebec compared to other provinces....the other provinces are still putting out top talent

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
i can understand rural quebec being hit hard with poor structure, finances, etc...but how has montreal and its immediate suburbs gone down hill so much? doesnt seem like theres really any good active nhlers from montreal proper outside of a 37 year old letang. areas right around montreal have produced talent like Lafreniere and huburdeau,.

UED

May 2, 2021
yea hockey is nothing anymore in this province. you dont meet many hockey fans anymore other than people who grew up with the dynasties. it could come back if the habs ever win a cup again and i dont know if they ever will, otherwise i dont think it ever will. in my neck of the woods basketball and football are more popular and gaining. not sure what people are talking about with soccer. either they're lying to you or they're referring to immigrants who do not represent quebec. nothing wrong with soccer but i've never met a soccer fan in my life other than immigrants.

Doomhammer

Jul 26, 2019
Lived in Montreal for 10 years and now rural Quebec for 3. I don't see anyone playing street hockey, pond hockey, etc. anymore. I'm sure it's the same everywhere, but I do see kids on tiktok or other social media as their passion. Hockey is already expensive, and you see 13 year olds with iPhone 15s so something has to give.

Statista has Quebec as the province with the highest "I don't watch any sport" with 58% of people saying they don't watch. Would say that's in line with what I see, outside of the two cities there are limited signs of sports fandom.

House prices have increased by 30% since Covid, highest taxes, and the 'protections' for French mean it's a last-choice province to hire remotely or establish a presence in. A lot of factors, but over the next few years it will likely get worse.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
But you are right , it seems like there are less and less people from Quebec interested in putting their kids in hockey. It's expensive, the parents are crazy and lots of politics even in the early stages.

I think
I don't know about that. Ontario parents have become so crazy that they don't even put up point stats publicly anymore until the kids are about 16 years old. That was due to the fact that parents would go bananas if their son didn't get an assist on a certain goal. I don't have the exact numbers, but Toronto and BC is where a majority of players are coming from, and those are the wealthiest provinces. Hockey is a terribly expensive sport, and too many families simply cannot afford it. Toronto and Vancouver economies continue to grow and the rich get richer, while Quebec and their darn politics hurt the economy and outside investments, just simply can't keep up.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Life is getting beyond expensive so yah were gonna have less and less kids entering into it. It sucks but people are barely making ends meet these days affording spending thousands on hockey is not an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad