Is Don Cherry Still Relevant?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
My Favorite story was how Don Cherry had this notion that Jaden Schwartz was playing for the league minimum.

He mentioned it 3 straight years on coaches corner segments,
he loved jaden schwartz, just loved him as player. But he got this idea from somebody that he was playing for the league minimum and it stuck

"Can you believe this guy is playing for the league minimum, it's criminal"

Reactions: Bluesguru

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't even want to tell him to have respect.

If you want to hold his legacy to that, go ahead.

Don't tell me he wasn't ever relevent though. Which is what I was quoting.

Me personally, I respect him for why he got fired. Not the overall things he has said but the lack of poppies from recent immigrants is very obvious, I think he got that one right. Just can't say it that way. Im glad he said it though.
Being a Brit that's also a yank living in Canada, I see a lot of "white people" that don't wear one either. So his soap box racist rant at immigrants is so tone deaf and obtuse. You think a lot of those immigrants are not wanting to respect that? Maybe they're fighting their discrimination, lack of jobs, horrible pay because of discrimination and other things first so forgetting the one or two weeks people here brag about poppies and make you feel shitty about not wearing it, isn't on their minds until it's explained to them. It's not disrespectful, it's not getting how those people go through things a privileged white guy like Don Cherry never once understood in his entire blow harded life. And let me guess, it's disrespectful to those that served? Black men served. Indian men served. Asian men served. They don't have to wear a dammed thing to show respect when they do it however way they want.

Absolutely ridiculous that the take people have on this is "I have noticed..." So yeah mate I've noticed a lot too.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
Being a Brit that's also a yank living in Canada, I see a lot of "white people" that don't wear one either. So his soap box racist rant at immigrants is so tone deaf and obtuse. You think a lot of those immigrants are not wanting to respect that? Maybe they're fighting their discrimination, lack of jobs, horrible pay because of discrimination and other things first so forgetting the one or two weeks people here brag about poppies and make you feel shitty about not wearing it, isn't on their minds until it's explained to them. It's not disrespectful, it's not getting how those people go through things a privileged white guy like Don Cherry never once understood in his entire blow harded life. And let me guess, it's disrespectful to those that served? Black men served. Indian men served. Asian men served. They don't have to wear a dammed thing to show respect when they do it however way they want.

Absolutely ridiculous that the take people have on this is "I have noticed..." So yeah mate I've noticed a lot too.

Screw any person of any race that doesn't purchase a poppy. Thats just my opinion, I'd spend my last quarter on one though, so thats where the opinion comes from.

Any discussion I am having here derives from someone saying Cherry was never relevent.

Also I said maybe people who come here just dont understand, which is fine. Once you know though, my opinion changes.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
A year later I do miss hearing his stories what Gerry cheevers use to do for Bruins or other forms the 60’s.

Beauty Liiga

Sep 28, 2020
He's more relevant, respected, and revered than any poster in this thread, for or against him, that's for sure. Anyone complaining about him in this thread, know you'll be long forgotten and obsolete far sooner than the last time someone thinks of Don. Love him or hate him he's still relevant. He's an absolute Canadian legend. Always will be.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Nobody who hates him is crying. Why would we? He’s off tv finally. Thank god. If I wanted to watch an old racist white guy on tv, I can just watch Fox News.

You mean like the guy who was just elected who is solely responsible for imprisoning countless African Americans and then said "they ain't black" if they don't support him?

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
He's more relevant, respected, and revered than any poster in this thread, for or against him, that's for sure. Anyone complaining about him in this thread, know you'll be long forgotten and obsolete far sooner than the last time someone thinks of Don. Love him or hate him he's still relevant. He's an absolute Canadian legend. Always will be.

Aight Don Cherry's son

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Cool, at least I won't have my career tarnished because of racism, xenophobia, and just general hate mongering. Instead, I have the respect of my peers, loved ones, and when I have kids, theirs as well and also, in my community for donating my time and money to make the world a better place for us black folks and immigrants that have also been marginalized.

A shame I won't be as cool as a bloke that hated on Europeans and Immigrants because he can't understand past his privilege, that people go through things he will never ever comprehend or that people that "look like him" disrespect far more than the Poppy not being worn from November 1st to 12th.

People that want to back a piece of shit like him, you've outed yourselves, be proud, you're a dying breed that the world will happily forget and rid itself of.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The poppy thing is clearly only cultural, some Canadians seem to expect everyone who lives there to buy one.

Back here, the victorious dead are respected by silence and candles on their graves. Military has a company of those who happen to serve at that time (mandatory), stand at the graves during Christmas. A lot of people also take the time from their day to go light candles on these graves.

There's nothing required from you as a person, like a poppy or even giving a thought about those who died. You choose to do that if you want to, being hounded for that is medieval to me. Forcing people to do anything is a form of tyranny.

Every Christmas meal my family takes a few seconds to be quiet and think of the sacrifices made by those before us. That's it. It's not needed for everyone to know.

Which is the healthier way respecting the dead or freedom?

Reactions: cowboy82nd

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Don is a legend.

"you people" is something he said countless times referencing his audience.

Imagine if we put a microphone and a camera in your face for close to a lifetime we would probably capture a few moments of idiocy and opinions that wouldn't sit well with certain groups and opinions of society.

Oh well can't bring him back and can't please everyone

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The poppy thing is clearly only cultural, some Canadians seem to expect everyone who lives there to buy one.

Back here, the victorious dead are respected by silence and candles on their graves. Military has a company of those who happen to serve at that time (mandatory), stand at the graves during Christmas. A lot of people also take the time from their day to go light candles on these graves.

There's nothing required from you as a person, like a poppy or even giving a thought about those who died. You choose to do that if you want to, being hounded for that is medieval to me. Forcing people to do anything is a form of tyranny.

Every Christmas meal my family takes a few seconds to be quiet and think of the sacrifices made by those before us. That's it. It's not needed for everyone to know.

Today, the Poppy Campaign is one of the Royal Canadian Legion's most important programs. The money raised from donations provides direct assistance for Veterans in financial distress, as well as funding for medical equipment, medical research, home services, long term care facilities and many other purposes.

It's not a "poppy thing" it's not "only cultural" it's a small token of appreciation that goes a long way to helping those that helped us.

Most Canadians pride themselves in not being selfish. I'm sure you give back in other way's but i find your dismissal of what the poppy represents to be a bit odd

Reactions: LGBlues

Beauty Liiga

Sep 28, 2020
Cool, at least I won't have my career tarnished because of racism, xenophobia, and just general hate mongering. Instead, I have the respect of my peers, loved ones, and when I have kids, theirs as well and also, in my community for donating my time and money to make the world a better place for us black folks and immigrants that have also been marginalized.

A shame I won't be as cool as a bloke that hated on Europeans and Immigrants because he can't understand past his privilege, that people go through things he will never ever comprehend or that people that "look like him" disrespect far more than the Poppy not being worn from November 1st to 12th.

People that want to back a piece of shit like him, you've outed yourselves, be proud, you're a dying breed that the world will happily forget and rid itself of.

1. Who knows. You sound like a teenager. There's still lots of time for you to say something innocent that some people don't like.

2. He literally married a European immigrant. Sure seems like he hates European immigrants. You're too daft to realize he played up a persona. You probably think Borat is a real person.

3. I back people I've actually met and respect. You've never met him. You're just a nobody on the outside looking in trying to cast your opinion like anyone actually cares. And that's why you're so writing 20,000 word articles on a man that is actually a somebody.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Purity tests of all kinds are silly, whether it's the PC crowd or the folks obsessed with their quaint national pride.

Problem with Cherry is that guys like him know exactly what they're saying without saying it. Southern strategy in diluted form. And if he's not that insidious or whatnot, then it turns out that he's too stupid to be on air, which is more how I see him.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Don is timeless like JC.

Too bad Ron has no spine.

People really don't get that the whole thing was partially a comedy duo act along with hockey commentary where they played amplified characters of themselves, a bit like WWF personas or something like Larry David in Curb. This was a big part of what made the segment so entertaining for so long. In this type of act Ron is not supposed to have a spine, he is the hapless "strait man" who acts as a prop for the clown character to sound off on, and he played it well.

Reactions: sting101 and Korg

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
People really don't get that the whole thing was partially a comedy duo act along with hockey commentary where they played amplified characters of themselves, a bit like WWF personas or something like Larry David in Curb. This was a big part of what made the segment so entertaining for so long. In this type of act Ron is not supposed to have a spine, he is the hapless "strait man" who acts as a prop for the clown character to sound off on, and he played it well.
Yeah but then Ron did the heel turn and stabbed his buddy in the back , ending Dons career. True scumbags are people like STEVE DOWNIE that pos

hockey as a media is very conservative to the point people think Don Cherry a standard boomer is controversial , people like Biznasty are changing the game with his podcasts

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

think everyone gets that.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Love all the people who have posted here who seem to think they stand on some massively superior moral high ground by taking the "If you support Don Cherry you're just a racist too".

This is the exact problem with the movements of today, in that if you don't agree you're immediately dismissed as wrong and part of the problem and you're simply too privileged to understand anything. People don't want to have honest, open discussions anymore, just one sided yelling matches.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax

Nobody in Canada is forced to wear a poppy or even pay for one if they want it. You can donate a buck or two or not donate at all and they will give you one.

Some people find it disrespectful if someone doesn't wear a poppy. It is totally reasonable for those people to feel that way. Should they harass those who don't, no. But if you choose to not wear a poppy or remain silent at 11AM then you should be aware why people would be disappointed in those actions.

I'm sure there are some people where your from who would find it disrespectful if people do not put candles on the graves or whatever you do to honour those who fought in the war.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad