Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

Is Connor Mcdavid a "tier above" Sidney Crosby as a player?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
But this thread claims crosby is the better player because of more cups, so messier is the best right...

IMG_3068.gif

Is prime Crosby better than the LA version of Gretzky who couldn’t win a cup? Either Crosby is better than LA Gretz, or this line of reasoning is faulty.

Nope. Crosby at his best is also a tier below non-Edmonton Gretzky.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
For me its not a matter of tearing down Crosby at all. He is a generational talent and I have no issue if people think he is at the same level or even better than McDavid at this point. One could easily argue for example that Crosby longevity puts him ahead of McDavid until McDavid shows he can sustain his level of play well into the future. My concern is more with the core argument in favour of Crosby being leadership, his "two-way play", or the fact that Crosby is a "winner".
Crosby IS a “winner”, though.

He’s proved it at every level. He won, won again and sometimes won multiple times.

Every competitive team he’s been on has touched the glory at some point. People need to stop trying to convince themselves that it’s a coincidence, especially after that “winner aura“ has been brought up by multiples teammates/former teammates, executives, medias, etc. You know, those who literally watch him master his craft, day after day.

It’s not a knock on McDavid, he just doesn’t have the same track record as Crosby. It doesn’t mean he’s not as great of a leader or whatever, but he’s won less than Sid at every single level he has played competitively, it’s just a fact.

It is definitely a plus for Crosby, as much as you’d like to argue otherwise.

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

He’s proved it at every level. He won, won again and sometimes won multiple times.

Every competitive team he’s been on has touched the glory at some point. People need to stop trying to convince themselves that it’s a coincidence, especially after that “winner aura“ has been brought up by multiples teammates/former teammates, executives, medias, etc. You know, those who literally watch him master his craft, day after day.

It’s not a knock on McDavid, he just doesn’t have the same track record as Crosby. It doesn’t mean he’s not as great of a leader or whatever, but he’s won less than Sid at every single level he has played competitively, it’s just a fact.

And there’s that strawman :laugh:

News flash: when someone argues that someone is better because he’s more of a “winner”, that’s nothing but an aura.

Are you referring to TEAM trophies or individual ones?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Sure, Crosby is a winner. A lot of guys are. Yzerman is a winner. Trottier is a winner. Messier is a winner.

I don't see what the point of repeatedly bringing that up in a comparison thread is unless you want to imply the player he's being compared to is a loser. I can see why people would be bothered by that.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Crow

May 19, 2014
still love that hockey is the only sport known to mankind that championships are just team awards lmao.
Baseball is very similar. Mike trout hasn’t won shit but is almost unanimously regarded as the best of his generation

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Sure, Crosby is a winner. A lot of guys are. Yzerman is a winner. Trottier is a winner. Messier is a winner.

I don't see what the point of repeatedly bringing that up in a comparison thread is unless you want to imply the player he's being compared to is a loser. I can see why people would be bothered by that.
Personally, when I compare the greatness of 2 players, I think about which player would I rather have on my team. That should be viewed as a fair assessment.

When 2 players are as close as McDavid and Crosby, in terms of overall dominance, you can use the “winner card” to propel one over the other. That “winner card” simply has a different value for everybody, hence why the argument.

If I want to win, I’ll pick Crosby, as proven by his track record. It’s really as simple as that. I’ll take my chances with a player (whose caliber is similar to the other) who’s won on EVERY competitive team he’s been on, at least once.

That’s literally the ultimate goal of playing the game.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Personally, when I think about which player is greater, I think about which player would I rather have on my team. That should be viewed as a fair assessment.

When 2 players are as close as McDavid and Crosby, in terms of overall dominance, you can use the “winner card” to propel one over the other. That “winner card” simply has a different value for everybody, hence why the argument.

If I want to win, I’ll pick Crosby, as proven by his track record. It’s really as simple as that. I’ll take my chances with a player (whose caliber is similar to the other) who’s won on EVERY competitive team he’s been on, at least once.

There is a huge hole in this logic though - at least from where I sit.

By giving the "edge" to Crosby because he has won the cup, and has won at every level, you are implying that he provides or provided something to his team that helps them win over McDavid that can't be quantified. Something intangible.

But you wouldn't say, as an objective hockey person, that Jack Eichel, Brayden Point or Steven Stamkos, Ryan O'Reilly, Nick Backstrom, Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar or David Krejci or a young Patrice Bergeron are more effective players when it comes to winning the cup than Connor McDavid would you?

Would you say that Scott Neidermayer was a better overall defenseman than Ray Bourque because Bourque never won as many times or in as many places as Neidermayer? Probably not right?

You would probably say that Neidermayer simply benefitted from being on more championship caliber teams than Bobby Orr did, not that Neidermayer was the superior player to Orr, yes?

So why would you selectively use this logic when it comes to Crosby vs Mcdavid?

Reactions: dukeofjive

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Personally, when I think about which player is greater, I think about which player would I rather have on my team. That should be viewed as a fair assessment.

If that's your criteria, you're entitled to it.

But hockey isn't an individual sport like tennis or golf. Players don't win Championships on their own. There are a lot of variables. Based on my assessment, I think you can definitely win with McDavid as well. If you feel comfortable choosing Crosby based on track record, that's fine. But people have their own reasons for preferring one player to another.

Reactions: Nadal On Clay

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON

By giving the "edge" to Crosby because he has won the cup, and has won at every level, you are implying that he provides or provided something to his team that helps them win over McDavid that can't be quantified. Something intangible.

But you wouldn't say, as an objective hockey person, that Jack Eichel, Brayden Point or Steven Stamkos, Ryan O'Reilly, Nick Backstrom, Jonathan Toews, Anze Kopitar or David Krejci or a young Patrice Bergeron are more effective players when it comes to winning the cup than Connor McDavid would you?

Would you say that Scott Neidermayer was a better overall defenseman than Ray Bourque because Bourque never won as many times or in as many places as Neidermayer? Probably not right?

You would probably say that Neidermayer simply benefitted from being on more championship caliber teams than Bobby Orr did, not that Neidermayer was the superior player to Orr, yes?

I think his reason is that Crosby is closer to McDavid than guys like Stamkos and Eichel are.

But if McDavid really is at least as good, he should be equally likely to help you win if you're building a team.

From games and data I've seen, I wouldn't be less confident of being able to win with McDavid. But some people really value track records.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Jeter wasnt even the best shortstop of his generation let alone baseball player. Arod was miles better.

Reactions: Video Nasty

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

It's true that every different team Crosby has been on since he was 9 has won a championship, but I don't think it's magic or a winning aura. It's due to him having an adaptable game where he's able to buy into whatever system and linemates he's given and succeed and help lift the team vs. having the team adapt to his preferred game.

I think jeter would still be above him no? I havent followed Baseball in a couple of years but I do remember from a fantasy perspective he hasnt been 1st overall for a number of years now
Um no. Jeter is one of the most overrated athletes ever.

Sure it can be quantified. Crosby has been the better player at even strength over their careers despite having worse linemates and not always playing in his preferred system.

Reactions: sanscosm and Crow

GreatGonzo

May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's true that every different team Crosby has been on since he was 9 has won a championship, but I don't think it's magic or a winning aura. It's due to him having an adaptable game where he's able to buy into whatever system and linemates he's given and succeed and help lift the team vs. having the team adapt to his preferred game.

Um no. Jeter is one of the most overrated athletes ever.

Sure it can be quantified. Crosby has been the better player at even strength over their careers despite having worse linemates and not always playing in his preferred system.
Prove it…

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think his reason is that Crosby is closer to McDavid than guys like Stamkos and Eichel are.

But if McDavid really is at least as good, he should be equally likely to help you win if you're building a team.

From games and data I've seen, I wouldn't be less confident of being able to win with McDavid. But some people really value track records.
So the only scenario in the history of hockey that logic would apply to would be this current one?

I can't really think of another.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I'm really wondering why people bring up players who of course aren't close when the poster said these exact words...

When 2 players are as close as McDavid and Crosby

I don't like absolute SC counting or absolute awards, I'm a Big picture guy and that's the reason I have Crosby ahead of McDavid for now.

Things like peak, length or prime, quality of play both in the beginning and end of careers, everything matters.

Consistency in excellence is what every professional hockey player strives for and Crosby is among the elite of elite in that category season in season out.

Reactions: sanscosm

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I'm really wondering why people bring up players who of course aren't close when the poster said these exact words...

I don't like absolute SC counting or absolute awards, I'm a Big picture guy and that's the reason I have Crosby ahead of McDavid for now.

Things like peak, length or prime, quality of play both in the beginning and end of careers, everything matters.

Consistency in excellence is what every professional hockey player strives for and Crosby is among the elite of elite in that category season in season out.
Ok so now I have to ask:

What makes McDavid and Crosby close ?

McDavid has a bigger gap in art ross wins to Crosby than Crosby does to Toews.

Reactions: norrisnick

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ok so now I have to ask:

What makes McDavid and Crosby close ?
Their offensive impact in their first 9 years isn't all that different when adjusted for era, the counting stats are different due to crosby's injuries but their offense is pretty close.

crosby has 10 more years than him and an excellent individual regular season and playoff resume, after all I'm an everything type of guy.

McDavid has a bigger gap in art ross wins to Crosby than Crosby does to Toews.
See this is exactly the type of absolutist SC/Trophy counting that distorts things that I was talking about.

I don't play that game when when others counter with the captain of 3 SC teams ect.....then all of a sudden they are the problem.

Some people are just hypocrites in their use of evaluation and metrics.

Reactions: pi314 and sanscosm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium