Is Connor Hellebuyck tracking to be a HHOFer?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Faces the Kinghts and then the Avs back to back. Good chance they both wind up being cup winners. That’s a tough assignment.

Still a great goalie.

If Colorado wins the Cup this year, it would be the 3rd time in the last 6 seasons that they were knocked out of the first round by the eventual Cup winner.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If he ages like Bob, he will be on the threshold: Bob is going to make it due to regular season peak (CH is similar with two Vezinas after this season) and great career numbers (CH needs 4-5 years of good performance should get him to 400 wins).

While both and Bob have had questionable playoffs, I think part of the legend of Bob is that he eliminate the best regular season team in history on eighth seeds: I think CH needs something like that to happen, even if he doesn't win the cup

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know, it skews what hockey really is for fans. They're the 70% awards. Regular season is played at about 70% speed compared to the actual hockey that has to be played to know who's the actual best at the sport.

That's fair but regular season is also 82 games. The Rangers who won the Presidents' Trophy this year had a 4 game losing streak at one point in the season. So any team can have a few bas games and lose a series. That's just a counterargument.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Why are you doing a 1/6 calc to get 16.7%? Because there is 1 goalie and 5 skaters on the ice? That's just one shift though....there are another 13 skaters on the bench waiting for their shifts. I'd suggest you shouldn't really look at 2 goalies as the population because can't look at starters and backups the same, but you could say the same about 4 line players vs. 1 line players I guess. So, generally a team is going to start a game with 2 goalies and 18 skaters. So 2/18 = 11.1%....but 14.4% of the members of the HHOF are goalies by your calc. To me, that doesn't suggest under representation.....it's not the simple, but that's the starting point I always consider.
Do you really want a HHOF with equal representation of first and 3rd liners or anything close?

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He’s on track to win his 2nd Veznia and will probably be flirting with 400 wins when his career is done. One disastrous playoff series is not gonna stop him from making the HOF.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He’s on track to win his 2nd Veznia and will probably be flirting with 400 wins when his career is done. One disastrous playoff series is not gonna stop him from making the HOF.
... That gives him two, arguably three.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
I've always considered him just SLIGHTLY below Vasilevskiy and Shesterkin, but I don't know what to think anymore after these playoffs.

What do you guys think? Does he justify his cap even if he chokes every playoffs?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Look, I’m going to judge him for less than 1% of his games because the playoffs are the most important time to be a difference maker. And Hellebuyck simply isn’t worth anything for the Jets in the playoffs. He may be a “vezina” goalie in the regular season. But in the playoffs he’s your run in the mill Joe Shmoe.

So with all due respect to Hellebuyck, he ain’t worth shit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This playoffs does change my opinion of Helle. He's overrated as far as i am concerned. Great goaltenders can put a mediocre team on their back. Price did it on more than 1 occasion. Helle had a very good team and let them down.

Reactions: viceroy

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Um. What about last year?

What about the rest of his career? Your judging him on 10 of 45 games, and then taking out the context of this year playing Colorado who is an offensive juggernaut. His other 35 games in the playoffs he has good to quite good stats.

This playoffs does change my opinion of Helle. He's overrated as far as i am concerned. Great goaltenders can put a mediocre team on their back. Price did it on more than 1 occasion. Helle had a very good team and let them down.

Is Winnipeg really that good? Take Hellebuyck away and you have 4 60 pt guys and then nothing amazing.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Colorado picked the Jets apart, not just Hellebuyck. This wasn't a case of a team losing games they should have won due to goaltending. If not for a historically bad game from Georgiev in Game 1, this would have been a sweep. The best the Jets looked all series was a game where they could have maybe been considered even with Colorado.

Reactions: Apocalypse Dude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad