Is Clark Gillies underrated?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
so true. we totally romanticize non-scorers just below the HHOF bar, but piss all over those just above it. when he got inducted he immediately went from living legend to terrible fraud.

like, imagine if tikkanen were to shockingly get inducted this year. it would be the same for him. he would go from (rightfully) being remembered as a star-level role player and totally original and unique player to being called a shotgun rider and a product of his superstar linemates.

i don't think gillies ever puts on his fist full of cup rings with his HHOF ring on the thumb and worries about what some weirdos on the internet are typing about him though.

That being said, I still don't think he should be in the HHOF. I like a lot of players in NHL history that I don't think belong in the HHOF. Joe Nieuwendyk doesn't belong, but I liked him and would gladly have him on my team as a 2nd line center. Phil Esposito in his book said that the Hall doesn't mean as much to him anymore because they've let in too many guys that shouldn't have gotten in. I don't know where Phil's barometer lies, but I think we all think this way to an extent. It would be nicer if it were a little more exclusive, making the induction that much more special. Maybe on the level of baseball? Or even a shade easier than that. It still beats the current precedent.

Is Gillies one of those players where if you strap him up to a polygraph he'll admit he doesn't truly belong? There has to be some honoured members in there that have to admit even they were surprised at their nomination. I don't mean modest ones that are still deserving, I mean guys that probably wouldn't have even voted for themselves. Paul Henderson for example says he wouldn't induct himself.

Reactions: ehhedler

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
- career totals of only 319-378-697 over 14 seasons (0.76ppg in the highest scoring era ever)
- 4 Cups, no Smythe
- no individual awards
- no nominations
- only 1x top 10 in points
- never top 10 in goals/assists
- jekyll and hyde career...very good 76-82 and god awful 83-88

overall, a very good player that never was elite at any 1 thing...definition of HHOVG

realistically, Gillies is no more a HOF'er than Claude Lemieux...and at least Claude has a Smythe

Shocking he played like crap once the dynasty as over and everyone got old :laugh: :naughty:

Reactions: Killion

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
- jekyll and hyde career...very good 76-82 and god awful 83-88

Not that big a deal, but he did have very strong playoffs in 1984, probably the best of all the Islanders' players.
And he wasn't playing with Trottier and Bossy regularly at that point, right? Admittedly that was just a lone highlight...

I agree with those who say that he wasn't quite HHOF material but still an exceptional player in some ways.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not that big a deal, but he did have very strong playoffs in 1984, probably the best of all the Islanders' players.
And he wasn't playing with Trottier and Bossy regularly at that point, right? Admittedly that was just a lone highlight...

I agree with those who say that he wasn't quite HHOF material but still an exceptional player in some ways.

Bourne led the Islanders in points in the 1983 playoffs, go figure. Greg Sheppard led the Bruins in playoffs points in 1974. Once in a while another player can sneak in there and outpoint the stars.

The argument someone can have with Gillies is that with a dynasty there is usually 5-6 players in there, at least. The Habs of the 1950s have more in there, as do the 1970s Habs. The Oilers have their 6 in there and not really anyone else that should be. The Red Wings of the 1950s have 6 or 7 or 8 depending on how you look at it. Abel was there more or less when Delvecchio wasn't. Lumley was there for the first Cup while Sawchuk the rest.

The Islanders have 5 in there. Is Gillies #5 on that dynasty? I personally have Tonelli and Goring ahead of him at least from an overall career level. That puts him at the best at 7th. Should that be the reason he's in? The other dynasties that have that many in there the players who are 6th or so would be in on their own merit. I think most can agree Guy Lapointe is a HHOFer regardless. So if there is any argument for Gillies it would be this, but he still isn't one of those guys where I think you have to add him and that takes into context the things he did off the scoresheet.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
It should be noted that Gillies put up the same number of points as fellow Hall of Famer Cam Neely. Over more games, but obviously with tons more playoff success.

But I think what got him in was that he symbolized a certain type of forward who may not put up the most points but has the most well rounded skill set (like when Don Cherry talks about playing the game the proper Canadian way). Like Doug Gilmour later on, he was kind of a folk hero because of intangibles more than his scoring totals.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
It should be noted that Gillies put up the same number of points as fellow Hall of Famer Cam Neely. Over more games, but obviously with tons more playoff success.

But I think what got him in was that he symbolized a certain type of forward who may not put up the most points but has the most well rounded skill set (like when Don Cherry talks about playing the game the proper Canadian way). Like Doug Gilmour later on, he was kind of a folk hero because of intangibles more than his scoring totals.

Gilmour is in the top 20 in all-time career points. Clark Gillies has fewer career points than Scott Hartnell. He is more like Wendel Clark than Doug Gilmour.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Gilmour is in the top 20 in all-time career points. Clark Gillies has fewer career points than Scott Hartnell. He is more like Wendel Clark than Doug Gilmour.

idk about that. i mean, stylistically, sure. he and wendel played the same position.

but otoh, career point totals be damned when you look at accomplishments gillies is actually more like brendan shanahan than wendel clark.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Gillies had much more self control and poise then Wendel Clark.

I loved watching Clark, I can't think of anyone who didn't, but he was a loose cannon on the ice and not in a good way. That being said the guy was pure entertainment, goals hits and fights. No defense, no playmaking just a pure bonecrusher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad