Music: Is Bush grunge?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Bush a grunge band?

• Yes

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • No, they're British

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
They're the Coldplay of Grunge. A mainstream-friendly watered down version.
Silverchair are in the same boat.

I have to admit, I like some of their songs. But they're one of the least inspiring bands of the 90's.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Dec 29, 2004
No, they are basically Silverchair with better songs.

EDIT: Crazy that poster above and a moment earlier would mention Silverchair too...

Reactions: TheAngryHank

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
No, they are basically Silverchair with better songs.

EDIT: Crazy that poster above and a moment earlier would mention Silverchair too...
I'm gonna give a slight nod to Silverchair because they have a bit less of a derivative sound, a little more apathetic vibe, and Australia is more grunge than the UK

Babe Ruth

I don't like Brazil nuts.
Feb 2, 2016
They're the Coldplay of Grunge. A mainstream-friendly watered down version.
I think this^ is a fair description.

I basically view Bush as a grunge replicator.
And I don't mean that as an insult, but they came a couple years later, and from too distant a location, to be legit 'grunge'. They do basically share the same genre. But when I think first wave type grunge, it's 5-10 years before Bush, and confined to the Pacific Northwest.

Reactions: TCTC

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
giphy.gif

No he was too happy to be grunge

Dec 29, 2004
I have a hard time defining 'grunge' as a sound, because every one of those bands sounded sooo different... Sound Garden sounds like they liked to listen to an old Black Sabbath tape when they shot their heroin.

It doesn't work as a fashion style either, because we were dressing like that in Northern Virginia (where Dave Grohl came from.. and also knew who Bad Brains were) in the mid to late 80's. Lots of flannel. It's a simple recipe: you take the average Northern Virginia metal head of that era, strip off the back-patches, and hook them on heroin... viola, the grundge, she is ready.

To me, it's a location. Not the Seattle music scene, but the Seattle drug scene... and it eventually killed the best of them. There was only 1 wave of 'grunge', the rest is alternative rock.

Last edited:

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
To me, it's a location. Not the Seattle music scene, but the Seattle drug scene... and it eventually killed the best of them. There was only 1 wave of 'grunge', the rest is alternative rock.
I mean I agree, two of the big 4 were formed from Temple of the Dog, which was formed cause the lead singer of Mother Love Bone OD'd...it is a really interesting chasm, and as someone that spent my high school years there playing music, it's just a certain energy there (which might be why I'm a snob about it)

I do think that post grunge is a valid sub genre, I also think it's a super broad genre that bands from Bush, Foo Fighters, and Gin Blossoms are certainly a pat of. But it honestly echoed for a really long time; I think Avril Lavigne was post grunge, and this might be a hot take but Waking Up in Vegas was the official death of post grunge to me

Reactions: #37

Dec 29, 2004
Please tell me more about the heroin use among the members of Soundgarden. Or are you just basically talking out of your arse?

Cornell, a Seattle native, wrestled with heroin and other drugs as well as depression most of his life, once even calling a metal magazine to confirm a tour cancellation from a payphone at a rehab clinic.

According to sources connected to the investigation, the 52-year-old had fresh track marks on his arm, indicating a potential drug injection, when his body was discovered in a Detroit hotel room on May 18, reports tmz.com.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

These two extensive articles on his death and drug abuse never mention heroin:

Chris Cornell Relapsed A Year Before His Death

Chris Cornell Drugs and Suicide | Turnbridge

And what about the rest of the band, like you also hinted? There's seems to be nothing suggesting that heroin, or hard drugs more widely speaking (unless tobacco & alcohol count), played a part in Soundgarden's music.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

I don't like Brazil nuts.
Feb 2, 2016
I have a hard time defining 'grunge' as a sound, because every one of those bands sounded sooo different... Sound Garden sounds like they liked to listen to an old Black Sabbath tape when they shot their heroin.

It doesn't work as a fashion style either, because we were dressing like that in Northern Virginia (where Dave Grohl came from.. and also knew who Bad Brains were) in the mid to late 80's. Lots of flannel.

Not the Seattle music scene, but the Seattle drug scene... and it eventually killed the best of them. There was only 1 wave of 'grunge', the rest is alternative rock.
Yeah, a lot of people wore flannel before and after Soundgarden etc. Flannel isn't the defining feature of grunge. But also lots of rock musicians before and after Andrew Wood used drugs, so I don't think heroin use is a distinct, defining feature of grunge.
Grunge's defining feature was its concentration of talent (both native & imported) in the Pacific Northwest. There was never as influential a music scene, before or after, in Washington State.. with Seattle being the friendliest place for those bands to gig in the late 80s. I think physical location IS the key factor in understanding/qualifying grunge.
And I agree, there were significant style variations between the Northwest bands, so location was their (more) meaningful, binding factor.. even tho it is an imperfect connection. Just my take.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
These two extensive articles on his death and drug abuse never mention heroin:

Chris Cornell Relapsed A Year Before His Death

Chris Cornell Drugs and Suicide | Turnbridge

And what about the rest of the band, like you also hinted? There's seems to be nothing suggesting that heroin, or hard drugs more widely speaking (unless tobacco & alcohol count), played a part in Soundgarden's music.
Why so defensive? Heroin in the rock scene was commonplace since the 50’s and 60’s. Even Ray Charles was using. It’s also a huge part of band culture and the music scene if you’ve ever been around it or known anyone involved.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Why so defensive? Heroin in the rock scene was commonplace since the 50’s and 60’s. Even Ray Charles was using. It’s also a huge part of band culture and the music scene if you’ve ever been around it or known anyone involved.
Idk, maybe I'd want to see facts being written rather than some assumptions (in this particular case). Neither Chris Cornell nor his bandmates were drug — let alone heroin — addicts during the first incarnation of Soundgarden (mid-'80s to late '90s).

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
They were alternative rock. Right place right time. MTV needed stars in that era after Kurt Cobain committed suicide and Pearl Jam stopped making videos (Soundgarden were superstars and AIC while beginning to have problems was still immensely popular).

Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Bush, Silverchair all filed that part.

Music really started changing after Woodstock 94.

Grunge itself wasn't a style, just an era/scene.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad