• No - Properly Rated

Votes: 81 52.9%
  • No - Underrated

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he’s mostly properly rated but depends on who’s doing the rating. He’s a good top line scorer and one of the most physical players in the league which is becoming increasingly rare among top liners. He also creates a lot of havoc and HD chances for his team. On the flip side, he’s not good defensively and isn’t among the elite offensively. I think some people can overrate the unique element of his physical play compared to more highly skilled wingers, but in general I don’t see a lot of that. You can point to the thread against Marner but I think that’s largely due to bias against Marner for his/the Leafs’ playoffs than overrating Tkachuk.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Absolutely not, he's awesome. Man just had a baby in the offseason, he looks distracted so far but becoming a new dad at 24 has a lot of responsibilities off the ice.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I dont know if they'll move on quickly. As I dont know what kind of contract he got.

I just think people talk about Tkachuk being immature, and not a great leader. I think he is fine and will step up for all his teammates, and produces.

They need the highest up leader (coach) to change the vision of this team and it sure as hell isnt Travis Green. He is atrocious, he has the worst systems in the league, he can't coach 5v5, players underlying numbers tank under him then sky rocket as soon as they leave.

Only a few games into the season and so far Sens have strong metrics at ES So hopefully the narrative changes about Green

- 12th in CF%
- 4th in SF%
- 8th in xGF%

And yeah I think Tkachuk is fine, he has all kind of impacts on and off the ice. Your captain doesn't have to be your best player. Stutzle is the best player, Sanderson just behind. Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris and Batherson are in the 2nd tier.

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris and Batherson are in the 2nd tier.

is-he-though-thor.gif

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Brady is an absolute beast that can agitate, score, mix it up and set up teammates and he's also (Yes, this matters...) great off the ice, media-savvy and great with the local fanbase.

He's a little underrated at the moment because he hasn't had an NHL-level coach yet (D.J. Smith was a college-level guy at best, Travis Green should be coaching rec league) so it's all the more to his credit that he's doing this well.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Outside of a portion of the Sens fanbase that is tired of losing? Absolutely. For NHL GMs, absolutely

Spezza was eventually scapegoated the same way, he was seen as "not a real #1C!" but he ended up PPG in Ottawa (686 GP) in a lower scoring environment than today.

Chabot has averaged 49 pts per 82 games in the NHL, 17th best PPG among D-men since his sophomore season and top TOI/GP. He has been injury-riddled the last 2 seasons but still a top offensive driver and elite at transition. He had to do all this carrying a rebuilding team with the worst trifecta in NHL history (owner/GM/coach) during their rebuild.

We have had the non envious habit of destroying players value in Ottawa the last 7 years. Think of Zibanejad, Duchene, Stone, Ceci, DeBrincat, goalies, even Kastelic so far this season, so many guys are looking better elsewhere. Curious to see how Chychrun does this season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Chabot has averaged 49 pts per 82 games in the NHL, 17th best PPG among D-men since his sophomore season and top TOI/GP. He has been injury-riddled the last 2 seasons but still a top offensive driver and elite at transition. He had to do all this carrying a rebuilding team with the worst trifecta in NHL history (owner/GM/coach) during their rebuild.

This is more of a history lesson than a description of his current level of play.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is more of a history lesson than a description of his current level of play.

Well, no there's still verifiable facts

For example, I see people say he has sucked the last 3 years

His PPG : 0.64 - 0.60 - 0.59

Better possession metrics than before, CF% rel : 5.3 - 2.1 - 2.3

49.99 xGF% during these 3 years, despite being on a bad team and not being at his best.

I already mentioned he hasn't been as good the last 2 seasons but also mentioned that like Stutzle, injuries can affect your level of play.

I'd much much rather rely on facts than human beings biases

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, no there's still verifiable facts

These are also verifiable facts.

He's averaged 62 games played per season in the NHL from 2017-2024. He's averaged 37 points per season over that time period.

That puts him 33rd in total production among defencemen over that time period, while he's currently being paid as the 17th most expensive d-man in the league.

Seeing as he signed that contract in 2020, virtually every defenceman ahead of him in the salary rankings have signed their contracts when the cap was higher.

Last edited:

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As a player, no. He's an excellent player and I don't see anybody describe him as a player in a way that's inaccurate.

In terms of narrative, yes. He's often described as a winner and an elite leader. His team hasn't done f***ing anything with him as the captain. I know it's a team game but the burden proof is on the claim.

This might just be a thing with Rangers fans. The unwashed on our board absolutely fawn over this guy's ability to "lead men into battle." And it's usually in comparison to Chris Kreider who just singlehandedly won a playoff series, so like, what are we doing here?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Probably, most bad defensive forwards are overrated because most fans are unable or unwilling to factor that into their evaluations

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad