Is Bozie easily replaceable?

Is Bozie easily replaceable?

• Total voters

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not easily replaceable but it will be nice if they move on.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Or we are going to find out just how much of a big role he did not play :)

Scoring 11 goals and less than 0.5 PPG while playing on a lethal #1 PP and terrible in his own end says it is time to move on from a declining player. Now if they settle playoff games with a SO, I might listen :)

182nd in ATOI for forwards (top 9 fwd)
135th in pts (top 6 fwd)
95th in PPP (top 6 fwd)
165th in PPGame (top 6 fwd)
And these are all in categories he apparently sucks at.

In the playoffs?
117th in ATOI (top 9 fwd)
64th in PPGame (#1 on team among Cs) (top 6 fwd)

Seems to me we were getting top 6 production with 3c minutes.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If the Leafs plan is Bozak ($4.2 mil) + JVR ($4.25 mil) + Komarov ($3.0 mil) = $11.45 mil OUT
&
Tavares (~$10 mil) + Johnsson ($750k) + Grundstrom ($.925mil) = $11.67 mil IN.

Problem solved !!!!

Then Leafs plan = my plan also :wg:
Im on board with that too :)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They're letting a 30 goal scorer walk, along with a few others. Possibly Gardiner next year as well. If they have no plan in place to replace Bozak, to me that's a failure

Of course they have plans. Maybe it looks like... talk to Tavares, if he says no, talk to Stastny, if he says no, talk to Nash. If he says no, look at trades. If they are too costly, have to sign Bozak again. They surely have a plan... but not too far down that list, is Bozak's name. Simply because there aren't many better options out there.

Reactions: ToneDog

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
whoever is paying for bozak is getting his 33rd, 34, 35 etc years...i mean thats not that young, and hes coming off his worse year as a pro, that sounds like potential disaster, bozy has lost a step already

Reactions: Kurtz

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I have always liked Bozak, but I cannot deny his value to the team has dropped down a notch. I wish we could get him short-term and at low cost, but that might be asking a lot.

The answer to the OP is no. Bozak is not easily replaceable. IMHO Nylander will not play C next season. If we lose Bozak we need to find a 3 and 4 C in the offseason. Doable, but not easy.

Reactions: The Apologist

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
182nd in ATOI for forwards (top 9 fwd)
135th in pts (top 6 fwd)
95th in PPP (top 6 fwd)
165th in PPGame (top 6 fwd)
And these are all in categories he apparently sucks at.

In the playoffs?
117th in ATOI (top 9 fwd)
64th in PPGame (#1 on team among Cs) (top 6 fwd)

Seems to me we were getting top 6 production with 3c minutes.

You can have him. He has 3 more points than Hyman who many claim has zero skill. I think we need to move on. Signing JT is like killing 2 birds with one stone for me. Hello JT, good bye TyBo.

Reactions: Kurtz

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
TyBo is no longer a 50 point C. He has broken 50 points once and was been close 3 times in a total of 9 season. Also agree with SAMCRO44 that he is nothing special on the PP.
Ok he is a .61 pats per game Game Center in his career and despite what you think has been a major contributor to our pp as he wins faceoffs at a high percentage which means we start with the puck. Often the puck went from a win draw touch back to Rielly passed to Marner and a pass to JVR for a goal which all started from a win draw.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
You can have him. He has 3 more points than Hyman who many claim has zero skill. I think we need to move on. Signing JT is like killing 2 birds with one stone for me. Hello JT, good bye TyBo.
Many claim lots of incorrect things. IF JT is a realistic option, its a no brainer (its also the end of Nylander at C). Not sure how realistic that is however, and none of it changes the fact that what you posted was silly and not grounded in fact at all.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
What..,Kadri is way better then Bozak..30 goals in back to back season say so.

We get it you hate Kadri but be reasonable when comparing Kadri to others.

When you play about 10 periods of 21 in the playoffs, that starts to be a factor.

Let's stay focused on the facts.

Plekanec took his spot. Sheltered 4th line duties without success. Missing for 1/4 of the season. 4 x repeat offender. Good goal scorer. Provides offense

vs

On the downside of the aging curve. Higher injury risk. Rough start to the season. Great on face-offs. Money in the shoot out. Alternate Captain.

Pretty interchangeable. Don't really need both but you do need 1.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Lets hope so :crossfing

Hyman -- Matthews -- Nylander
Marleau -- Tavares --- Marner
Kapanen -- Kadri -- Brown
Grundstrom -- Gauthier/Aaltonen -- Johnsson
I believe Mathews gets his own way and gets Marner as a winger and Nylander plays on second line right winger.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
When you play about 10 periods of 21 in the playoffs, that starts to be a factor.

Let's stay focused on the facts.

Plekanec took his spot. Sheltered 4th line duties without success. Missing for 1/4 of the season. 4 x repeat offender. Good goal scorer. Provides offense

vs

On the downside of the aging curve. Higher injury risk. Rough start to the season. Great on face-offs. Money in the shoot out. Alternate Captain.

Pretty interchangeable. Don't really need both but you do need 1.
Lol always can count on you to paint Kadri as some player who is easily replaced when the facts clearly show he is a big part of our core.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Many claim lots of incorrect things. IF JT is a realistic option, its a no brainer (its also the end of Nylander at C). Not sure how realistic that is however, and none of it changes the fact that what you posted was silly and not grounded in fact at all.

Not going to debate you on whether some of what I posted was silly and not grounded in fact. It is obvious to me that you are high on TyBo and I am not. Doesn't matter. What does matter is how the Leafs view him on July 1st.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Lol always can count on you to paint Kadri as some player who is easily replaced when the facts clearly show he is a big part of our core.

Did Plekanec not replace him with Marner and Marleau? Pretty sure that happened.

Did he not get benched with 13 mins to go in the 3rd in game 6? AJ and Nylander went out with Matthews while Bozie and JVR took spins as well. Pretty sure that happened.

Did he not draw the Bruins 3/4 lines and become a non factor? Pretty sure that happened.

Did he not take himself out of that series? Pretty sure that happened.

Did he not slump for 1/4 of the regular season? Pretty sure that happened.

And good stuff happened too.

You get too caught up in defending 43... or at least trying to silence any points that don't cast a favourable light.... when the point is simply that you need one of 42 or 43. Both have pluses. Both have challenges.

If 42 can come back on a short term deal with a better AAV, that would give opportunity to consider assets that could come back if 43 were to be moved.

If we are done with 42... you need 43 and just hope he can have a bounce back playoffs next year. This year was pretty disappointing.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ok he is a .61 pats per game Game Center in his career and despite what you think has been a major contributor to our pp as he wins faceoffs at a high percentage which means we start with the puck. Often the puck went from a win draw touch back to Rielly passed to Marner and a pass to JVR for a goal which all started from a win draw.

Good point. I've always thought faceoff ability is overrated but on the PP (or the PK) they are a lot more important than at ES so I agree with this for sure!

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Not going to debate you on whether some of what I posted was silly and not grounded in fact. It is obvious to me that you are high on TyBo and I am not. Doesn't matter. What does matter is how the Leafs view him on July 1st.
Yes I am :)
And fair enough, Ill leave the debate to more willing partners. Heres to JT hopefully coming home on July 1.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Is that quality of player easily available? No. For all his flaws, he's a productive and useful center who can play well with highly skilled guys and has value on a PP.
Can we replace him easily? Yes. We have an abundance of wingers that can match his productivity, and we can move Nylander there for an upgrade on the actual spot in the lineup.
But you don’t want your wingers replacing a centremans productivity. You want them to replace the wingers they are replacing. It’s not that easy to just replace a 3rd line centre and it’s even harder to expect Nylander to just replace Bozak.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
These type of questions are misleading.

Of course, most everyone is replaceable at some point. The less of a superstar you are, the easier and sooner it will be.

Is there an option right now? Depends I guess.

Kadri and Bozak are interchangeable.

When Kadri was on his well deserved vacation from the playoffs, Plekanec stepped up and took his spot.

Bozak’s line did well too. Even when Kadri returned and was demoted to the 4th line and couldn’t take advantage of his sheltered minutes, Bozak’s line was steady.

Babcock even sat Kadri on the bench in game 6 while Bozak took shifts with the lead. Who would have thought that?

Now, when Bozak slumped at the beginning, Kadri was on fire. When Kadri had a massive slump that lasted a 1/4 of the season, Bozak filled in.

As Babcock said, it’s hard to go forward with all of Bozak, JVR, Komarov and Kadri.

If Bozak goes. Keep Kadri and hope he is more useful next year. If Kadri goes (say if JT signs and we have a trade option), keep Bozak but hope it doesn’t take a long term deal.

LOL you are a bad man... ;) I feel like you should have the Captain Highliner pic as your Avatar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad