Votes: 109 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 275 71.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
He is Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe Lemieux and Gretzky combined in one single person and has shut down every one he has ever faced, how on earth can such a player be overrated ?

At least until next year when Florida is eliminated early - then he plain out sucks ...

• Haha
Reactions: Slapshot Sultan

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Barkov is similar to Nic Lidstrom. Neither flashy but both dominant.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
10000%. Look how many people think he’s a top 3 center in the other thread (and some think he’s the #1 lmao). Easily one of the most overrated players in the league, which is crazy because he was one of the most underrated players 1-2 years ago. Fans eat up everything ESPN tells them, scary.

Well put on a list of C’s ahead of him and who are clearly?

Or are you just going to keep laughing without bringing anything into conversation?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
You have to pay a bit more attention to appreciate the impact of two way players like Barkov/Kopitar/Bergeron (or really, most defensive minded players) because there aren't individual stats to gauge a players defensive stats.

In that sense, players like him will always be a bit underrated.

However, I do agree he is getting a bit overrated in the sense that the spotlight is on him right now, and recency bias is contributing to a lot of opinions that would have probably been laughed at just a year or two ago. Certain narratives are also being built around him that are half truths, but don't really tell the whole story like "Barkov shut down all these players" Well yes he's obviously a huge part of it, and maybe the most important. But also, he's basically always playing with top tier defensive players in their respective positions (Reinhart, Forsling) alongside a great defensive system that the entire team has bought into.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well put on a list of C’s ahead of him and who are clearly?

Or are you just going to keep laughing without bringing anything into conversation?
It's quite clear and obvious what players would be ahead of him.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The problem with being the perceived “best” is that at any turn of your career, if you have a stretch where eyeballs are on you and you are not clearly in that moment “the best”, it is used as ammunition to prove that you aren’t. Some people hold McDavid (and perhaps select others like MacK) to the standard of “well, if he’s the best, he has to be the best every single time I watch him in every series or else that proves he’s not the best”. Which is an insane and unfair proposition.

Barkov probably has been underrated and I have time for the argument of him being a top 5 center for sure…I mentioned earlier I can’t deny what I am seeing in this moment and would have him as high as third and certainly in that top 5 range.

But he has also underwhelmed in the post-season before, notably in 21-22, and was not exactly known as a superstar who grabbed the post-season by the throat until this awesome run. But because we weigh so heavily what we see in front of us right now, we can tend to isolate stretches of play to make our point weigh more heavily which I think is happening with Barkov right now. We can admit he’s been brilliant, and has been great for some time…while also acknowledging the top group of centers in the league is just outrageously good at the moment and that resume and preferences come into play as well.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Like Toews before him, people are allergic to appreciating a dominant shut down 1C. There’s tremendous value to his effectiveness and play style. He’s more valuable than Matthews but not as talented as McDrai or MacKinnon

Jan 13, 2023
Like Toews before him, people are allergic to appreciating a dominant shut down 1C. There’s tremendous value to his effectiveness and play style. He’s more valuable than Matthews but not as talented as McDrai or MacKinnon
except Toews played in front of Antti Niemi and Barkov plays in front of Sergei Bobrovksy

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
a borderline generational top4? definitely not, but are you implying that Barkov > Toews?

Everyone knows your agenda

You keep going on and on about Bob saving Barkov and when you bring up Toews as comp ”surprisingly” you left out the top4 of:

Keith- Seabrook
Odyua- Hjalmarsson

He played in front of and bring up Niemi

Whatever helps you sleep better

Jan 13, 2023
Everyone knows your agenda

You keep going on and on about Bob saving Barkov and when you bring up Toews as comp ”surprisingly” you left out the top4 of:

Keith- Seabrook
Odyua- Hjalmarsson

He played in front of and bring up Niemi

Whatever helps you sleep better
Agenda? Just calling it like I see it, same as everyone else. Barkov is very fairly a top 7C in the league with a real case for #5. Bob's sv% on HDSC this series has been insane and clearly the reason why Florida is up. The numbers are what they are. Not sure why that's so offensive.

And what, Barkov > Toews?

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Agenda? Just calling it like I see it, same as everyone else. Barkov is very fairly a top 7C in the league with a real case for #5. Bob's sv% on HDSC this series has been insane and clearly the reason why Florida is up. The numbers are what they are. Not sure why that's so offensive.

And what, Barkov > Toews?

Your inability to admit Barkov exists outside this one series is what you're getting rightfully pinata'ed for as you're continually showing how little you know about him other than your forced viewings this week.

Reactions: Marioesque
Jan 13, 2023
Your inability to admit Barkov exists outside this one series is what you're getting rightfully pinata'ed for as you're continually showing how little you know about him other than your forced viewings this week.
So having Barkov at 5-7 offends you too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium