Is Auston Matthews a "generational goal scorer"? A deep dive.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It’s more than just that tho

I think goaltenders in general have improved so much. These days they catch Ovechkin and Matthews snipes through a crowd.

In the 80s weak backhanders went five hole.

Goalies are so monumentally better it's really hard to fathom, but it's largely due to the shift from standup to butterfly, they just couldn't possibly be that effective with the old style and equipment.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
It’s more than just that tho

I think goaltenders in general have improved so much. These days they catch Ovechkin and Matthews snipes through a crowd.

In the 80s weak backhanders went five hole.

Ken Dryden was a pretty big goalie and a typical size even now at 6'3"
look at how much net there is to shoot at. ...the goalie equipment now covers at least 50% more than it used to
a 4th liner with a modern stick could pick a corner on the best goalie from back then.

I'd love to see a 'retro' exhibition game where all the equipment used was from the 70's

...some of the players wouldnt be able to skate under all the added weight and stiffness, and some of the elite shots would look mediocre with a wooden stick. butterfly style didnt exist back then for good reason 1/2 the net would be wide open.

cut-1.jpg

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Only Ovechkin has scored more goals than Matthews has since he debuted five seasons ago. He's the best pure goal scorer of this generation. That's pretty much fact.

Reactions: Duffman955

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
He’s forsure a rocket winner unless mcdavid gets 8 in his next game
Don't forget back in the 70s Sittler scored 10 points in one game. I can't remember how many of those were goals, I think 6 or 7, but it could've been eight and McDavid is considered to be better than Sittler.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
He scores most of his goals with that wrist shot. It's the deadliest wrist shot the NHL has ever seen.

If they ever figure out how to get him to dominate on the power play like other 60 goal scorers (Stamkos, Ovechkin), Matthews will legitimately challenge Mcdavid for the Hart.

Reactions: Duffman955

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I think he'll age very well as a goal scorer. It doesn't seem unrealistic that he could average 4 shots per game and score on every 6th one for the foreseeable future. That's a ~55 goal pace per 82. His career averages are 3.68 shots per game and 16.2 shooting percentage with both numbers trending up.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
If Matthews can win a few rockets, I think it is entirely fact. Especially if he can pot 55+ goal seasons 3-5 times. Multiple 60+ goal seasons would entirely cement this theory.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He scores most of his goals with that wrist shot. It's the deadliest wrist shot the NHL has ever seen.

If they ever figure out how to get him to dominate on the power play like other 60 goal scorers (Stamkos, Ovechkin), Matthews will legitimately challenge Mcdavid for the Hart.

Career PP Goals per 60min:

1. Matthews 3.25
2. Stamkos 3.17
3. Ovechkin 2.99

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews does dominate on the powerplay like Stamkos and Ovechkin. He just hasn't gotten the same PP time.

Reactions: Papa Cherry

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lmao oh he scored 90 goals against those spectacular goalies from the 80s. How impressive!!!

Do you know how easy it was to score then? Not a single one of those goalies could stop even the most pedestrian shot from Matthews. Gretzky would not produce anywhere near the same in today’s league.

The greatest goal scorer ever is Ovechkin at the moment. Not Gretzky.
Send any good NHL player back with modern equipment and training then they would obviously destroy the league (maybe not to Gretz or Mario levels), but you can't examine things like that. Matthews wrist shot and puck control wouldn't be the same without a tailored composite stick designed with an ideal curce, flex and kick point to maximize what he wants out of a stick. Current goalies with modern equipment allowing them to easily play in a butterfly without the weight of heavy pads weighing them down would also excel. More than any of the other big 4 sports in North America (and you could add soccer), hockey has been the most heavily altered by just technological advancements in equipment. I think it was at a Leafs outdoor practice/skate a couple years ago that Rielly and Gardiner tried using old-school wood sticks and almost lost their mind.

Matthews is a great player and I'm sure would adapt to the equipment of the 80's and excel. But, while his current shot would destroy goalies of that era, the equipment he uses to maximize it wouldn't exist. No one is giving him a sakic/yzerman curve, with a low designed kick-point at 80/83 flex to shoot like he does now.

Reactions: studebaker17

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
If Matthews can win a few rockets, I think it is entirely fact. Especially if he can pot 55+ goal seasons 3-5 times. Multiple 60+ goal seasons would entirely cement this theory.
If...if...matthews had 1 great year scoring....let's not put him in mario category or Marcel dionne.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Send any good NHL player back with modern equipment and training then they would obviously destroy the league (maybe not to Gretz or Mario levels), but you can't examine things like that. Matthews wrist shot and puck control wouldn't be the same without a tailored composite stick designed with an ideal curce, flex and kick point to maximize what he wants out of a stick. Current goalies with modern equipment allowing them to easily play in a butterfly without the weight of heavy pads weighing them down would also excel. More than any of the other big 4 sports in North America (and you could add soccer), hockey has been the most heavily altered by just technological advancements in equipment. I think it was at a Leafs outdoor practice/skate a couple years ago that Rielly and Gardiner tried using old-school wood sticks and almost lost their mind.

Matthews is a great player and I'm sure would adapt to the equipment of the 80's and excel. But, while his current shot would destroy goalies of that era, the equipment he uses to maximize it wouldn't exist. No one is giving him a sakic/yzerman curve, with a low designed kick-point at 80/83 flex to shoot like he does now.
dinner. Can have those arguments on any sport..matthews with all those stick advancements still was best in league scoring. As to other players using old sticks and saying no way....once you get used to that its your gamer......

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think he'll age very well as a goal scorer. It doesn't seem unrealistic that he could average 4 shots per game and score on every 6th one for the foreseeable future. That's a ~55 goal pace per 82. His career averages are 3.68 shots per game and 16.2 shooting percentage with both numbers trending up.
Usually your hands and shot will stay with you until you retire. Matthews will never lose those or his ability to find the soft spot in the o-zone.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Usually your hands and shot will stay with you until you retire. Matthews will never lose those or his ability to find the soft spot in the o-zone.

Yep. He also doesn't particularly rely on speed/rushes either so age/physical decline won't be as high a factor there either. The guy can generate a high danger chance from anywelhere

Reactions: Maplebeasts

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
dinner. Can have those arguments on any sport..matthews with all those stick advancements still was best in league scoring. As to other players using old sticks and saying no way....once you get used to that its your gamer......
My point was you can't apply his shot now to goals and goaltending in the 80's.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
My point was you can't apply his shot now to goals and goaltending in the 80's.

Matthews would dominate hockey back then, even with old equipment. But the same goes for any star player since the early 2000s.

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Career PP Goals per 60min:

1. Matthews 3.25
2. Stamkos 3.17
3. Ovechkin 2.99

I'd like to see what their pp goals per 60min during their 60 goal seasons were. Obviously those guys are older and their career stats are watered down now.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

It’s time we start talking more about our MVP. This guy is coming into the playoffs after a tremendous rocket winning season. If the Leafs are gonna go far he should be driving the bus.

Reactions: Leterman

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Matthews does dominate on the powerplay like Stamkos and Ovechkin. He just hasn't gotten the same PP time.
Matthews is not used as effectively as either Stamkos or OV ...their PP's are all calibrated to get the 1-timer off. ...not just cross seam passes for the 1-timer, but, 1 timer passes from the point, and slot too. every pass is set to open up any passing lane, and then
tenor.gif
!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad