News Article: Interesting Articles

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Talks about Maclean and the trend of Senators offense under him

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travis-Yost/On-Paul-MacLeans-Offensive-Zone-Strategy/134/53514
Ottawa's shot-attempts per sixty minutes league wide rank over the last two years? They finished tops in 2011-2012, and third in 2012-2013. Their average -- 60.5 per sixty -- over the last two seasons is tied for highest in the league, even with Claude Julien's Boston Bruins.

(is this thread or something like it a good idea for a sticky for various senators related articles around the web?)

Last edited:

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Fifty shots, 27 blocked, 13 missed the net, so we had the puck a lot of the night and good opportunity to shoot it, lots of opportunity to shoot it

So out of the 50 attempted shots we had 10...? :laugh:

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
I'm very critical of Yost myself but that's in respect to his sensational assumptions re: ownership. He's not an idiot though and this was an interesting article.

The EnigmatiC Soul*

People are so biased. Eklund, total Hack. No doubt.

To dismiss Yost because he's paid by da buzz to write is just laughable. He is one of the best bloggers out there. He asks questions. He sheds light. Is not a totally biased moron. In fact it is quite the opposite. He is very intelligent, and takes time to give the sens nation quality reads.

Those that choose to dismiss him are the only one's missing out.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa

To dismiss Yost because he's paid by da buzz to write is just laughable. He is one of the best bloggers out there. He asks questions. He sheds light. Is not a totally biased moron. In fact it is quite the opposite. He is very intelligent, and takes time to give the sens nation quality reads.

This.

I don't like all his work (as I'm not big on advanced stats), but he is thorough and explains everything well. He has had some really good pieces over the years.

John Holmes*

The guy's blog is good...not sure why anyone would blow it off immediately.

Well actually I have an idea why, but I am infraction free at the moment and would prefer to remain that way for a little while.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Probably the best sens blogger out there. Dismissing him because you don't like Eklund or because his melynk accusations are rude is nonsense.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Probably the best sens blogger out there. Dismissing him because you don't like Eklund or because his melynk accusations are rude is nonsense.

I will have to disagree here. Yost is good but there really aren't any "best" Sens bloggers. All of them have their flaws and qualities. I prefer Welcome to Your Karlsson Years myself because they don't have a faux nerd stats going, they go balls to the wall and they mix some great insight with a lot of irreverent takes. Silver Seven Sens is still near the top even though they do take themselves a bit too seriously.
Chirp is ok...but it's clear who butters his toast. Five for Smiting was hands down one of the top Sens blogs but he got that new BBQ and hasn't been the same since.

Plus he does post here as well.

Which is great and appreciated but shouldn't absolve him of critique. Yost was absolutely 100% top of the line on the Melnyk issue and no one ame close, but his advanced stats stuff is borderline soporific. It's like when 6th Sens puts a table ot shot quality events up and calls it a day. Ok, great, that happened but what did you see and what's your [/i]opinion[/i]?

Sees the names Hockeybuzz and Yost... NOPE

Yeah this, he's good at being Dr. Dolittle sniffing out Melnyk's finances but when he gets into the advanced stats it's just zzzzzzzzzzzz...

Let's hope he does some player profiles or something at some point.

Last edited:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I don't read the National Enquirer to get my information on the world economy, maybe he should branch out and bring his work to a more reputable website?

I would argue that his digging around about the Senators showed a clear bias, but whatever I'm not going to get in a big debate over that again. This article in particular was pretty interesting, maybe he should stick to stuff like this instead of trying to be the Anderson Cooper of the NHL.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I don't dismiss Yost because he is linked to Eklund, i dismiss him because of his crusade to show Melnyk is in financial trouble. Even if he is 100% right about everything he wrote, how does it help the situation?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I don't dismiss Yost because he is linked to Eklund, i dismiss him because of his crusade to show Melnyk is in financial trouble. Even if he is 100% right about everything he wrote, how does it help the situation?

Controversial = more hits = more money

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW

so you'd prefer sens journalists just toe the company line, ignore anything that is negative or could be harmful?

what yost did on his melnyk work this summer is ok to me. Far better than the sun 'journalists' crusades against emery.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
If you are going to call into question the value of that particular topic why not call into question all sports journalism. It certainly never "helps a situation."

What it does do is shine a light on something that (for whatever stupid reason) we all care about. It gives a little insight into why, when Grabovski could be signed for 3 million, can play wing and we are lacking proven top 6 forwards we didn't sign him despite barely being at the cap floor.

I don't think expecting journalism on sports to ever make a difference is anything but hoping to be disappointed.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I do not read Brennan because I find him to be a tool, I don't even follow Garrioch on twitter anymore because of all the golf stuff. I chose to get my sports news from places that I trust and have a good reputation.

I didnt need to read the backstory as to why Melnyk is a millionaire now not a billionaire. Murray said we had an internal cap. That is good enough for me.

I am not a bank. The size of Melnyks wallet does not affect how much I am going to support my team.

Personally, I am sick of reading about Alfie and who slighted whom. I am sick about reading about broke Melnyk. All I want to read about now are about the roster going forward. Feel free to read whatever you like.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Getting lots of shot attempts is all well and good. Not enough are shots on goal though. And of the shots on goal, not enough beat the goalie. However, with Bobby Ryan playing with Spezza, that may change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad