Interest in Tavares?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This question, and the responses it's generating, are such a good litmus test for this forum lol. Thanks for posting it.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Tavares would hurt the rebuild with one year remaining on his deal? How?
I read the CapFriendly page at two years, and just now realized they haven't stopped counting the previous season. My mistake.

Tavares is playing hockey where he wants to be. Could he be a benefit to the team? Maybe. Maybe not. If you're Stevie, do you seriously consider inquiring about Tavares when Marner is $100k cheaper, six years younger, and also under contract for one more season? He's already reviled by fans and the Toronto media alike, and could probably use a change of scenery in a market that is passionate about hockey while also not being anywhere near as insane as Toronto.

So, why Tavares when there's another player who is younger, more productive, and possibly more willign to waive his NMC to come here?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I read the CapFriendly page at two years, and just now realized they haven't stopped counting the previous season. My mistake.

Tavares is playing hockey where he wants to be. Could he be a benefit to the team? Maybe. Maybe not. If you're Stevie, do you seriously consider inquiring about Tavares when Marner is $100k cheaper, six years younger, and also under contract for one more season? He's already reviled by fans and the Toronto media alike, and could probably use a change of scenery in a market that is passionate about hockey while also not being anywhere near as insane as Toronto.

So, why Tavares when there's another player who is younger, more productive, and possibly more willign to waive his NMC to come here?
Neither player “wants” to leave Toronto

The cost for Marner in a trade would be quite high in comparison to Tavares

It’s extremely unlikely either get traded here as we are division rivals but Tavares for a year would help this team a lot. He’s not the same as he was in NYI or first couple seasons in Toronto but having him and Larkin split top 6 C duties and Compher as a 3C makes this team way better no matter how you want to slice it

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Absolutely not

He turns 34 when next season already starts, and he has been declining for about a year and a half. He may be a smart player, but he's always lacked another gear of speed and is not the player that a Thornton or Jagr (slower guys) would be in terms of smarts or scoring, even into a later age. This guy has not scored 90 points one single time and is not an elite defensive forward.

His contact AAV is not a fun one. He has 2 more seasons at 11M AAV and got paid that much this season to score 65 points in 82 games and 2 points in 7 playoff games.

Not to bash him, I just think there's more we can gamble with splashing for younger players and lesser contract AAVs. He also just seems too vanilla as a captain/leader.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Something tells me Marner isn't going to be there after next season. Public statements by players differ from how they really feel about their situation more often than not, nor does it account for organizational direction.

Fact remains, I don't want another old dude on the team, especially one that'll cost us $11m. I'm far more willing to accept MArner's inflated contract beause he's still young and in excess of a point per game (in the regular season, anyway). If not Marner, give the spot to a kid and move on.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

The cost for Marner in a trade would be quite high in comparison to Tavares

It’s extremely unlikely either get traded here as we are division rivals but Tavares for a year would help this team a lot. He’s not the same as he was in NYI or first couple seasons in Toronto but having him and Larkin split top 6 C duties and Compher as a 3C makes this team way better no matter how you want to slice it

Exactly. You have to make the playoffs before you worry about playoff performance. Trading Tavarres or Marner to Detroit hurts their chance to make the playoffs because the teams are division rivals. Trevling won't even consider it, the whole thread is asinine.

From a Wings fan's perspective, I'd do any trade that makes the team better, but if we're talking wet dreams, dream about Taylor Swift, not Roseanne Barr.

McDavid for Burger, Holl, and 2nd!!!!

Edit: WITH 50% RETENTION

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Something tells me Marner isn't going to be there after next season. Public statements by players differ from how they really feel about their situation more often than not, nor does it account for organizational direction.

Fact remains, I don't want another old dude on the team, especially one that'll cost us $11m. I'm far more willing to accept MArner's inflated contract beause he's still young and in excess of a point per game (in the regular season, anyway). If not Marner, give the spot to a kid and move on.
Just speaking anecdotally, I work in king city where Marner has moved his parents and brother to. His brother is part of the fire department and the impression I get from my interactions with him is that Mitch could not be happier about being a Leaf, it’s really a childhood dream come true. I think he thinks he owns the whole GTA in terms of stardom and all that which comes with the ego of being a high end NHLer. But the idea that Marner wants out flies in the face of everything we know about the player. I think he’s looking more and more likely to be the guy who gets traded away myself, but I think he will probably have tears in his eyes if he has to speak about it to the media. It will be a hard thing for him to deal with.

Reactions: FMichael

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
So when/if the Leafs blow it up, should Stevie be in on Tavares?

Adam Wylde brought this up on the latest sdpn. Tavares owed approx 1mil in salary next yr and is a free agent in 2025. Of course retention is necessary with that ugly cap hit. But I think this could be a decent filler, if he got down to 6-7mil. One reason I'm bringing this up is because (did not notice this during the season) Compher was absolutely horrendous in the circle, something like 45%. Tavares remedies that, is better offensively and is still decent in his own end. Plus, he would not be far away from his family in TOR. Would love Danielson to be NHL ready next season, but I think he should add some lbs before coming up. And I doubt he is gonna be here at the start of next season anyway

giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Absolutely not

He turns 34 when next season already starts, and he has been declining for about a year and a half. He may be a smart player, but he's always lacked another gear of speed and is not the player that a Thornton or Jagr (slower guys) would be in terms of smarts or scoring, even into a later age. This guy has not scored 90 points one single time and is not an elite defensive forward.

His contact AAV is not a fun one. He has 2 more seasons at 11M AAV and got paid that much this season to score 65 points in 82 games and 2 points in 7 playoff games.

Not to bash him, I just think there's more we can gamble with splashing for younger players and lesser contract AAVs. He also just seems too vanilla as a captain/leader.
He's got one more year left and after his signing bonus is paid is owed only a minimum salary. For a one year rental we could do a lot worse. Plus we're nearby to Toronto so he doesn't have to move his whole family very far. I could easily see us being a team he'd waive for given what we did with Kane this past year. We'll give him all the opportunity to play his way into another big deal while he also provides mentorship to our young guys who are likely to make the roster.

I agree it's unlikely he's traded here but I do think it'd be a good move. Maybe we can even get Toronto to cough up an asset because they need his cap space bad.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Absolutely not

edit, alrdy corrected

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'd rather see Kyle Quincey come back to Detroit, make the team, and play as a forward than take Tavares. We're trying to come out of a rebuild, not prolong it.
Can we also make sure to give up the first round draft pick as well bringing the grand total of a 4th, a 1st and a 1st.

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I'm only down if we can re-sign Kane and sign Stamkos. Let's have my NHL 2012 fantasy come true. A line of 3 consecutive 1st overall guys.

Reactions: Gniwder

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Kane - ???

Stamkos - likely re-signs with Tampa.

Tavares - not a bad idea considering he's still a productive centerman and it'll be 1 yr (unless he re-signs with Detroit), but who, or what goes back to Tronna and would Marner be the better option (given the asking price)?

Decisions will have to be made this summer; continue signing UFAs, or possibly trading to have a shot at the playoffs (likely using this years 1st rounder as part of a package), or possibly take a step back from the idea on playoffs and continue to focus on obtaining more youth for the future.

Keep in mind...DBoss is 27 - soon to be 28.....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The more I think about it, the less I think Toronto would want anything to do with a trade with Detroit. In addition to being division rivals, Detroit likely has nothing that they'd be willing to part with that the Leafs would be interested in.

Ideally Toronto would find a way to ship either Tavares or Marner out west for an established two-way player. But easier said than done.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The more I think about it, the less I think Toronto would want anything to do with a trade with Detroit. In addition to being division rivals, Detroit likely has nothing that they'd be willing to part with that the Leafs would be interested in.

Ideally Toronto would find a way to ship either Tavares or Marner out west for an established two-way player. But easier said than done.

You're doing it all wrong, you're supposed to say:

Copp + Holl + Burger + 2nd for Marner and Tavarres both 50% retention

Remember, every GM covets our trash.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You're doing it all wrong, you're supposed to say:

Copp + Holl + Burger + 2nd for Marner and Tavarres both 50% retention

Remember, every GM covets our trash.
Haha, true.

In terms of actual needs and timelines, I asked on the Leafs board if there could be a deal structured around Marner for Kopitar. Then the only response I got was that they'd prefer Tavares for Byfield, and I knew what level of delusion I was dealing with.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It wouldn't make any sense to give up the assets to get 1 year of the player. They would probably want a second or even a first for him. No flippin way that benefits us long term.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It wouldn't make any sense to give up the assets to get 1 year of the player. They would probably want a second or even a first for him. No flippin way that benefits us long term.
If they are moving on from Tavares, they aren't going to get anything for him at $11M. And Toronto can't afford to retain any salary. A 2nd or 1st will be moving with Tavares, not for him. See Marleau, Patrick.

Yes, Tavares is better than Marleau at 39yo. But $11M is a significantly higher number than $6.25M.

The only scenario where Tavaras might have value is if there were a team way under the floor that didn't want to spend the money to get over. After this summer's signing bonus drops, Tavares counts at $11M for less than $1M in actual cash.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I have to say this is one of the ultimate hypothetical discussion threads I've ever seen. Show of hands; how many of you think Tavares would wave his NMC to come to Detroit?

My hand is not raised either. This is a showcase of our willingness to debate that which will never happen.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
So when/if the Leafs blow it up, should Stevie be in on Tavares?

Adam Wylde brought this up on the latest sdpn. Tavares owed approx 1mil in salary next yr and is a free agent in 2025. Of course retention is necessary with that ugly cap hit. But I think this could be a decent filler, if he got down to 6-7mil. One reason I'm bringing this up is because (did not notice this during the season) Compher was absolutely horrendous in the circle, something like 45%. Tavares remedies that, is better offensively and is still decent in his own end. Plus, he would not be far away from his family in TOR. Would love Danielson to be NHL ready next season, but I think he should add some lbs before coming up. And I doubt he is gonna be here at the start of next season anyway

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad