Individual awards vs a STANLEY CUP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which do you think a player wants more?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
It's so weird...I see a bunch of Edmonton fans voting for individual awards.

Question...would you want McDavid caring more about winning the hart than the Cup?

Would anybody want any player on their team more interested in an indivdual award than winning the cup?

Bizarro stuff

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not so sure about that.

Kids growing up and playing street hockey - pond hockey - youth hockey - etc...What are they playing for? Norris Trophy? Art Ross Trophy? Mark Messier Leadership Award?

Are they dreaming of being the highest paid player in the league?

Well - maybe I'm getting old...Maybe 'kids' these days dream of that crap...

Of course kids on the pond only dream of winning the Stanley Cup, that’s not the question.

The question is, what would the players want the most right now if they had to choose between the two.

If it’s a depth or fringe player, I’m quite sure they take the guaranteed money and personal glory. They put their health on the line by sacrificing their bodies for a living. I’m sure they’d pick making $10-12M a year for 15-20 years over the Cup.

It’s a business above all.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Make it so they finish 2nd in voting or ranking for every award they would have won instead of 1st and the difference in money becomes marginal. I would think they would be able to negotiate the same performance-based contracts, they would only lose the bonuses for the awards, which they would easily give up for a Ring.

Yeah but that’s not what the question is asking either.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Of course kids on the pond only dream of winning the Stanley Cup, that’s not the question.

The question is, what would the players want the most right now if they had to choose between the two.

If it’s a depth or fringe player, I’m quite sure they take the guaranteed money and personal glory. They put their health on the line by sacrificing their bodies for a living. I’m sure they’d pick making $10-12M a year for 15-20 years over the Cup.

It’s a business above all.

Who said anything about money?

Since when do depth or fringe players get awards?

Total failure on your part.

Reactions: FMichael

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
You just edited your original question because you realized that it was ambiguous, and then you responded to me like a smartass…

Total failure is on your part buddy

Total BS. It was a carry over from another thread. I'll take the blame. Care to change your vote now?

My bad. I thought it was an easy interpretation. Again, my apologies.

Wow. SMDH.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Not so sure about that.

Kids growing up and playing street hockey - pond hockey - youth hockey - etc...What are they playing for? Norris Trophy? Art Ross Trophy? Mark Messier Leadership Award?

Are they dreaming of being the highest paid player in the league?

Well - maybe I'm getting old...Maybe 'kids' these days dream of that crap...
No, but they dream of being Pavel Datsyuk, Wayne Gretzky, Connor McDavid. They don't necessarily dream of being a 4th liner in a Stanley Cup winning team.

Would Joe give up all his accolades to raise a cup(not money earned...don't know who started that BS)?
What does giving up the accolades mean? Do his seasons get written out of reality? What are the parameters? Joe Thornton doesn't have a lot of individual awards. I'm sure that he would be fine with Jagr scoring 126 instead of 123 points and winning the Hart/Ross over him if that meant he got to win a Cup. It wouldn't really chance the perception of Joe Thornton's individual career and level of play.

I'm sure he'd be hell pissed of if all of his NHL career points were just erased, nobody would know they existed, he wouldn't be Joe Thornton the hockey player and he would find himself as a cheerleader in one Cup victory.

With a player the caliber of McDavid, it is of absolute essence that he wins individual awards to be McDavid. I do not for a second think that McDavid would trade being McDavid the hockey player to winning a Cup.

Bear of Bad News

"The Worst Guy on the Site" - user feedback
Sep 27, 2005
just-came-in-to-say-goodnight-johnny-rose-johnny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad