Incredible leadership moment from Crosby

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Okay, guess this is incredible leadership. I think that Crosby(or anyone else) doing that stuff is really annoying, though.

There's always that one guy who doesn't let you process your feelings and is like "hey just don't say anything and think positive bruh" and then you get this pent up resentment that never is processed. I think that it's much better to just be able to voice your frustrations openly in the moment and move on, rather than holding them back artificially like this.

This holier-than-thou "herp derp I think he knows"-stuff, I just can't stand it.
Found the bad teammate.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
One thing to note here is that Kunitz had been on a dry goal scoring streak this entire series (and the last 2 games of the series before). I'm sure he'd been struggling mentally as well, and there could have been some guys getting frustrated with him overall which Crosby was putting a cap on here. That kind of attitude can be infectious.

As a side note Kunitz's playoff goal-less streak continued into the 2017 post-season until he scored 2 goals against Ottawa (including a double OT goal) in game 7 to take the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Final. He never scored another post-season goal for the rest of his career after that 2 goal effort.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It is a tragedy that we didn't get to see him lead TC into the Olympics in 2018 or 2022, or get to play at near peak with McDavid. I know he will be there in 2026, but that will feel like a more passing of the torch kind of thing.

Crosby is simply one of the greatest.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It's the bare minimum of what one would expect in my opinion. Don't see why this situation need to be hyped.
Exactly. I'd expect any decent high school hockey team Captain to do the same.

And that is not in anyway a jab at Crosby. He's obviously a generational player and great Captain.

It's just that this example is extremely tame. Making a huge deal out of this reminds me of the two different groups who picked up the sandal and the gourde in Life of Brian.

"He's not the Messiah......."

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Exactly. I'd expect any decent high school hockey team Captain to do the same.

And that is not in anyway a jab at Crosby. He's obviously a generational player and great Captain.

It's just that this example is extremely tame. Making a huge deal out of this reminds me of the two different groups who picked up the sandal and the gourde in Life of Brian.

"He's not the Messiah......."

Exactly. This is why people think the constant pumping of Crosby’s tires, as OP described it, is so goofy. Swooning over basic stuff like this is laughable.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I recall a game where someone-maybe Ryan Malone?- had a breakaway and he thought he had help behind him so he drop-passed it to nobody and when he came to the bench looking bummed Sid said “hey Bugsy, next time just dump it into the corner.”

Might be misremembering it though. Part of me also wants to say it was a shootout attempt and he took a slapper from way out.
It was also consequently great leadership to roast him there, because the lockeroom (still to this day) really benefits from ravaging pwns against Bugsy

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
If there was a leadership moment to highlight from that series, it would be when he directed Sheary on what to do before the faceoff that led to the game winner in overtime in game 2.

Reactions: sanscosm

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
He should have called a time-out and then hugged every single Pen on the bench. This was just pedestrian captaincy.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
As he nears the end of his career, I think we should try to take in and appreciate how lucky we as hockey fans have been to have a world class player and world class human as the face of the league for 2 decades. He caught a lot of hate early in his career but I think he's universally loved and respected at this point and for good reason.
I'm not sure if this is true. We barely made it halfway through the first page of this thread before it started to derail with the cynics chiming in. I don't think there's anyone else who lives rent free in so many heads. You can't say anything even remotely complimentary of Sid and a bunch of posters just can't help themselves in trying to throw shade.

But the guy is truly a legendary leader, from the sounds of everyone who has coached him or played with him. The game has been lucky to have him.

• Love

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Okay, guess this is incredible leadership. I think that Crosby(or anyone else) doing that stuff is really annoying, though.

There's always that one guy who doesn't let you process your feelings and is like "hey just don't say anything and think positive bruh" and then you get this pent up resentment that never is processed. I think that it's much better to just be able to voice your frustrations openly in the moment and move on, rather than holding them back artificially like this.

This holier-than-thou "herp derp I think he knows"-stuff, I just can't stand it.
It's not about that, it's about not piling on your teammate. He screwed up, let him hear it once if you feel necessary, and then move on. It's important in the game to not dwell on mistakes.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I'm not sure if this is true. We barely made it halfway through the first page of this thread before it started to derail with the cynics chiming in. I don't think there's anyone else who lives rent free in so many heads. You can't say anything even remotely complimentary of Sid and a bunch of posters just can't help themselves in trying to throw shade.

But the guy is truly a legendary leader, from the sounds of everyone who has coached him or played with him. The game has been lucky to have him.
I think it’s possible to believe in Sid’s greatness while also acknowledging this thread title/premise is a little over the top. Doesn’t make someone a hater for pointing that out.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Crosby is the walking, talking and still playing ultimate canadian stereotype

Legendary player (5th best ever IMO, as of now) that will receive honors and medals from the canadian government when it's all said and done, and it will be all deserved

It will be a sad day when he calls it quit

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeh he’s a pretty good guy. Pens fans couldn’t have asked for more from their superstar. Deserves to retire a Pens Legend.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Exactly. This is why people think the constant pumping of Crosby’s tires, as OP described it, is so goofy. Swooning over basic stuff like this is laughable.
Not everyone can be like McDavid and roll their eyes at their teammate when they miss a chance.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam

Haha yeah I noticed that. When I made the thread I expected a lot of "cool story bro" and people wondering why this is a thread but it started off really positive, people saying they've also never seen the clip and he's a great leader.

Then it flipped completely and the haters came out. Old habits die hard. Guessing Caps/Flyers fans have never come around

Reactions: nowhereman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad