In 2017 Rasmus Dahlin was called "The McDavid/Eichel for defencemen" agree or disagree?

Is Rasmus Dahlin "The McDavid/Eichel" for defencemen

• Total voters

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Do people not understand he’s only 19? It takes defensemen longer to reach their full potential. Do people not remember at 19 Cale Makar was putting up mediocre numbers at College? Hey may not turn out to be generational or even that true franchise level guy but give him time before you judge.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Do people not understand he’s only 19? It takes defensemen longer to reach their full potential. Do people not remember at 19 Cale Makar was putting up mediocre numbers at College? Hey may not turn out to be generational or even that true franchise level guy but give him time before you judge.

No, they don't think that out.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The McDavid/Eichel

McDavid....Eichel.

I mean he had a lot of hype pre-draft, definitely not McDavid level, but no one in the league is. He's not taking the league by storm from day 1 and dominating everyone.

He can still very well become an elite #1D, even the best D in the league in his prime, but to compare him to McDavid level is insanity. McDavid is in a class of his own.

Reactions: Mac Attack

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
There's a couple tiers between McDavid and Eichel/Matthews. Maybe less so for Eichel than Matthews but lets not get carried away here.
"A couple of tiers?"

Then I guess it's semantics we're arguing, but I'm thinking "Superstar" tier and "Star" tier. Then 1st line player, then a top six player, bottom six player. How many tiers between McDavid and Eichel again?

I believe McDavid is in the first (with Crosby and Ovechkin maaaybe MacKinnon) and Eichel is in the second. Nothing in between.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
"A couple of tiers?"

Then I guess it's semantics we're arguing, but I'm thinking "Superstar" tier and "Star" tier. Then 1st line player, then a top six player, bottom six player. How many tiers between McDavid and Eichel again?

I believe McDavid is in the first (with Crosby and Ovechkin maaaybe MacKinnon) and Eichel is in the second. Nothing in between.

You missed semi-superstar tier and semi-partial-superstar. Oh and star+ too.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I bought it when he was a prospect and I still buy it now. He's obviously still a work in progress & came in with more work to do than McDavid did, but I still don't see why he won't get there in time. Teams have adapted to him after that historic 18yo season and now he's figuring out how to counter-adapt; while filling out & going through the rest of the NHL a few more times...but in his prime, I still think he'll be able to give McDavid a run for his money as the league's best player.

Don't get me wrong, I am beyond thrilled to have MacK & Makar anchor our forward-core & bluelines (respectively)...but I do think Dahlin will surpass both eventually.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Hughes is the best and will win the Calder.

No other rookie D man even comes close.

This is the second post bringing up Makar and rookie voting. I'm getting the impression a couple people think Dahlin is a rookie. Hes only 19 but this is his second pro year. Hes setting league records for a teenager, not for a rookie. That's like saying Panarin is better than McDavid because he won the Calder as a 24 year old while McDavid played in his 18 year old season and didnt have Kane feeding him.

TheUltimateOiler

Oct 21, 2019
Rasmus Dahlin is awesome. He is only gonna get better. I think it's only a matter of time before he is a top 3 dman in the entire league.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
The McDavid/Eichel

McDavid....Eichel.

I mean he had a lot of hype pre-draft, definitely not McDavid level, but no one in the league is. He's not taking the league by storm from day 1 and dominating everyone.

He can still very well become an elite #1D, even the best D in the league in his prime, but to compare him to McDavid level is insanity. McDavid is in a class of his own.

Defensemen simply don't do that. They take longer to develop than forwards. Even if you look at hands-down the best D in NHL history, Bobby Orr, he didn't break out into the PPG+ D we remember him as until his 4th NHL season, at age 21.

Dahlin's play as a teenager is something the NHL hasn't seen in decades. Development isn't always linear and predictable, but, so far, he's absolutely tracking to be a very, very special player.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I wouldn’t quite say he’s Mcdavid tier, but he’s not far off. He’s kind of been overshadowed this season due to missing time with a concussion and by the offensive numbers that Makar and Quinn Hughes are producing , but he is on track to be better than both of them.

44 points as a 18 year old rookie and on a 50+ point pace as a 19 year old is one of the more impressive starts to a career for a defensemen especially in recent memory. He doesn’t turn 20 until the very end of this regular season in April so he is younger than his peers( Makar,Heiskanen and Q Hughes) So he should only get better.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Why are people forgetting that defencemen take way longer to come into their own than forwards?

Forwards have their peak offensive numbers around age 23-25.

Defencemen don't reach their peak until 27-29.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Everything I have seen of him tells me he's going to be an absolute stud in a couple of years.

If you lived through the early days of guys like Pronger and Hedman, you know how this story ends.

Yup, I remember people writing off Hedman after 2(?) or 3(?) years, now he is arguably the best d-man in the game. Top 3-5 anyway. Gio didn't win his Norris until he was 35 and really didn't break out until his 30's. Dahlin is 19, kid is going to be the real deal.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Scored over 40 as a rookie 18 year old Dman and on pace for over 50 this year? As far as phenom D goes it’s not far from the billing to be in that tier

On HfBoards you'd have to outproduce the forwards in order to be recognised as better than them.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I think his upside is sky high and his results so far in the NHL have been quite good even given the expectations.

Hedman needed a lot more time to get going at the NHL level.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I wouldn’t quite say he’s Mcdavid tier, but he’s not far off. He’s kind of been overshadowed this season due to missing time with a concussion and by the offensive numbers that Makar and Quinn Hughes are producing, but he is on track to be better than both of them.

44 points as a 18 year old rookie and on a 50+ point pace as a 19 year old is one of the more impressive starts to a career for a defensemen especially in recent memory. He doesn’t turn 20 until the very end of this regular season in April so he is younger than his peers( Makar,Heiskanen and Q Hughes) So he should only get better.
Dahlin and Hughes are both in their D+2 season and are separated by a handful of months, so age isn't really a factor like you're making it out to be. However, I think Dahlen has better tools than Hughes and could be the better player. But, right now, based on stats and the eye test, Hughes is tracking better than Dahlin.

That said, the way defenseman develop, we won't know who the best of the bunch is until 4-5 years down the line.

Reactions: grentthealien

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dahlin and Hughes are both in their D+2 season and are separated by a handful of months, so age isn't really a factor like you're making it out to be. However, I think Dahlen has better tools than Hughes and could be the better player. But, right now, based on stats and the eye test, Hughes is tracking better than Dahlin.

That said, the way defenseman develop, we won't know who the best of the bunch is until 4-5 years down the line.

This is an atrocious take.

This is a very good example of putting too much stock into one season worth of analytics. Make a poll, and Hughes won't get 10% of the vote that isn't from Canuck fans.

Reactions: seagull

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad