Implementing the roster for the upcoming season

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
We all know the roster changes that have been made so far during this off-season. Most of us on here seem to be satisfied with the changes. This topic however, is meant to address the changes we, as fans, would like to see implemented in the way we use our roster going forward. So basically, what changes would you want to see from Blashill in comparison to the way Babcock ran thing.

I'd like to stress that this isn't a debate about who we should trade or whatever. I'm looking for opinion on how we use what we have.

Something I'd personally like to see changed...

Sheahan, I feel, would be more useful in the role of a set up man in the offensive role. I don't think being a net front presence is his strong suit. He has good vision and a pretty good shot. He has shown the ability to drive the net at times. Being a screen is somewhat a waste of talent for him IMO. Same goes with Jurco btw.

Get the team away from grinding on the boards. We have so much personnel with good passing skills, we should use that to our advantage. We may take a bit of a hit in the possession department but, what's the point when it just leads to opposing teams simply entrenching defensively and we can never get a quality shooting lane?

More puck distribution in the neutral zone.... I've beaten this drum quite a bit last year. Everytime I saw our team play a bit more of a skill game in the neutral zone, it led to a scoring chance. Yet, we hardly ever do that. Every team in the NHL seems to implement a strong forecheck. Whenever we start passing the puck around in the neutral zone as oppose to trying to rush into their zone, we tend to force the opposing teams forecheckers out of position and enter their zone with an advantage. It hard to find the words to explain exactly what I mean so, I suggest folks look up the game against LA from last year. The four goals we scored in the first were a direct result of what I'm talking about. Watch how we played in the neutral zone...

Agree? Disagree? Your proposals!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sheahan, I feel, would be more useful in the role of a set up man in the offensive role. I don't think being a net front presence is his strong suit. He has good vision and a pretty good shot. He has shown the ability to drive the net at times. Being a screen is somewhat a waste of talent for him IMO. Same goes with Jurco btw.

These things are heavily affected because of the other guys we have.

Zeta 5'11
Dats 5'11
Nyquist 5'11
Tatar 5'11
Pulkkinen 5'10
Richards 6'0

So, when your six skill players from Top9 are 5'11 on average, you kind of have to put 6'2 Sheahan, 6'2 Jurco, 6'3 Franzen or 6'1 Abdelkader to play that net-front role. Midget screens are just not effective and nobody of that our skill player group can't handle the net-front.

Maybe Sheahan's role will change in the future when bigger sized reinforcements like Mantha and Svechnikov will join the team.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Zeta 5'11
Dats 5'11
Nyquist 5'11
Tatar 5'11
Pulkkinen 5'10
Richards 6'0

So, when your six skill players from Top9 are 5'11 on average, you kind of have to put 6'2 Sheahan, 6'2 Jurco, 6'3 Franzen or 6'1 Abdelkader to play that net-front role. Midget screens are just not effective and nobody of that our skill player group can't handle the net-front.

Maybe Sheahan's role will change in the future when bigger sized reinforcements like Mantha and Svechnikov will join the team.

Sheahan is also extremely good around the crease and in the corners down low. He is so solid on his skates and tough to move, actually has good in zone movement to not only be stationed in front of the net when he goes there. He moves around quite a bit, not just a get to the net and hunker down guy.

I disagree that it is a terrible role for him, he is pretty good at it. Does that move where he pops out to receive passes and turns and puts it on net all in one motion. Outside of actually physically hitting guys (and he is good at it when he chooses to do it, though he sacrifices it for positioning) Sheahan is really good at everything. I expect continued growth and with Blashill on as coach I think we get to see him on the PK quite a bit where he is outstanding in terms of another role that he should take up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How to implement the roster for the upcoming season...

-Keep Nyquist and Tatar in the top 6 as much as possible
-Keep Ericsson off the top pair
-Keep Smith and Quincey away from each other
-Keep Glendening's ice time to a freaking reasonable amount

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
How to implement the roster for the upcoming season...

-Keep Nyquist and Tatar in the top 6 as much as possible
-Keep Ericsson off the top pair
-Keep Smith and Quincey away from each other
-Keep Glendening's ice time to a freaking reasonable amount

Unfortunately it looks like Quincey and Smith will be paired together, Unless Holland tries to move either Quincey or Smith since he's adamant that Kronwall and Ericsson be paired together.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York

Zeta 5'11
Dats 5'11
Nyquist 5'11
Tatar 5'11
Pulkkinen 5'10
Richards 6'0

I think there are other factors to consider besides size. Holmstrom was what, 6 feet tall?.. I felt Helm played that role better. Richards, from what I've seen is quite good at making deflections. I think we have guy better suited for that role.

Sheahan is also extremely good around the crease and in the corners down low. He is so solid on his skates and tough to move, actually has good in zone movement to not only be stationed in front of the net when he goes there. He moves around quite a bit, not just a get to the net and hunker down guy.

I disagree that it is a terrible role for him, he is pretty good at it. Does that move where he pops out to receive passes and turns and puts it on net all in one motion. Outside of actually physically hitting guys (and he is good at it when he chooses to do it, though he sacrifices it for positioning) Sheahan is really good at everything. I expect continued growth and with Blashill on as coach I think we get to see him on the PK quite a bit where he is outstanding in terms of another role that he should take up.

Sheahan is strong on his feet, that's true and he's very capable at picking off a rebound but actually screening the goalie? I feel he wasn't quite as good at positioning himself in ways the goalie's vision is interfered with. Besides that, I feel he's better with the puck on his stick than Abdelkader or Helm who both, I feel are better at being pests in front of the net

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Unfortunately it looks like Quincey and Smith will be paired together, Unless Holland tries to move either Quincey or Smith since he's adamant that Kronwall and Ericsson be paired together.

I would think it's Blash's call. We might see Smith or Quincey paired with Kronwall. We might not see Smith in the opening line-up at all. Perhaps Kindl with Quincey on the third. This is all, ofcourse, assuming that Blash actually likes Green-DeKeyser pairing in practice as much as he does in theory. I think the only safe bet for our defensive lines is that Kronwall is on the first unit. Everything outside of that is still pretty much in the air.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would think it's Blash's call. We might see Smith or Quincey paired with Kronwall. We might not see Smith in the opening line-up at all. Perhaps Kindl with Quincey on the third. This is all, ofcourse, assuming that Blash actually likes Green-DeKeyser pairing in practice as much as he does in theory. I think the only safe bet for our defensive lines is that Kronwall is on the first unit. Everything outside of that is still pretty much in the air.

Actually a Kronwall Smith pairing has been pretty solid for us in the past, I would be fine with that. Or like you say Kindl could be moved to the 6th spot with Quincey. Pretty much up to what Blash see's at training camp and what lines he could use during preseason and what lines work for him. Should be interesting non the less.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i wish Sheahan would shoot the puck more and be a little more assertive in the offensive zone. the guy is extremely good down-low and shows flashes of really good offensive plays. With pavel/babs out, blash in, and Z moving to the Wing (as people indicate), id like to see his offensive role increase. guy is gonna be a key piece moving forward with Detroit being thin on C prospects

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Like, yeah, our team should focus more on possession that dump and chase and trap defense. I don't know if our defense is able to transition the puck to facilitate that style of play even with Mike Green. We're still icing Ericsson and Quincey and there's no telling if Smith will be better this year or not.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Actually a Kronwall Smith pairing has been pretty solid for us in the past, I would be fine with that. Or like you say Kindl could be moved to the 6th spot with Quincey. Pretty much up to what Blash see's at training camp and what lines he could use during preseason and what lines work for him. Should be interesting non the less.

Smith is really capable being on the first pairing but he has stretches where he doesn't think before acting. If he can actually discipline himself, he's actually a very solid player to have. So, I'm kind of hoping he gets his act together.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Like, yeah, our team should focus more on possession that dump and chase and trap defense. I don't know if our defense is able to transition the puck to facilitate that style of play even with Mike Green. We're still icing Ericsson and Quincey and there's no telling if Smith will be better this year or not.

I see your point here but I still think we have enough guys capable to run a system less dependent on the boards. DeKeyser has definitely shown to be capable and improving. Kronwall is a given as is Green. Ericsson, for all the crap he gets, his real sin is him constantly clearing the puck right right down the middle after recovering it in our zone. Outside of that he's not bad at all. Kindl and Quincey seem shaky when pressured though.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Zetterberg-Richards-Abdelkader
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Jurco-Helm-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glenden-Andersson/Ferraro

Doesn't look like a promising start to the season. Someone will get injured before Datsyuk is back. Hopefully not Z.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I see your point here but I still think we have enough guys capable to run a system less dependent on the boards. DeKeyser has definitely shown to be capable and improving. Kronwall is a given as is Green. Ericsson, for all the crap he gets, his real sin is him constantly clearing the puck right right down the middle after recovering it in our zone. Outside of that he's not bad at all. Kindl and Quincey seem shaky when pressured though.

Last season, the zone exits and zone entries by a defensemen were really bad. The forwards did all of the work. Kronwall has regressed, Dekeyser isn't very good at transitioning the puck, and Smith was always on a short leash. Ericsson and Quincey suck at it completely.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Jurco-Helm-Pulkkinen

Doesn't look like a promising start to the season. Someone will get injured before Datsyuk is back. Hopefully not Z.

This is what i'm predicting as well, And once Datsyuk returns every one will slip down a line and most likely Helm will be Glendenings winger taking over the Andersson/Ferraro spot.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

For him to get pk time he really needs to improve upon his faceoff %. That is the main reason he hasn't recieved pk time on a regular basis. He was either our worst or second worst face off guy last year (off the players that regularly get faceoffs not the second man in types). He has yet to post a 50% year yet. That would be my biggest gripe about him. Granted small sample size and all but given that he is 210+ and 6 foot + unless he is just not agile he should be able to improve on that.

Granted the good thing is most young players improve upon that as they get more NHL exp. So it isn't a huge worry. But for a center it is a important aspect.

On a side note though I really hope Z can center only while Pav is still out. Cause Richards can be a passable #2 if need be but he will look like straight **** if he is our #1 c.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Last season, the zone exits and zone entries by a defensemen were really bad. The forwards did all of the work. Kronwall has regressed, Dekeyser isn't very good at transitioning the puck, and Smith was always on a short leash. Ericsson and Quincey suck at it completely.

Oh I'm not talking about transitioning or having defenseman try and gain the zone here. I'm talking about taking more time in the neutral zone and letting opposing forechecks a little deeper before trying to gain the zone. When we do do this, the opposing teams seem to be a little less established on who is where defensively and end up chasing us for the puck as oppose to battling us on the boards.

Actual Thought*

I expect looser team defence and more trying to win 4-3 than 1-0. I have very serious doubts that it will result in being competitive in the playoffs.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Jurco-Helm-Pulkkinen

How does it not look promising?

Veteran 1st line - Although not blazing fast, they are all defensily sound. Can still score with their high hockey IQ.
Two solid 2nd line scoring - The kids are all right.
A shut down fourth line - We know what Miller and Glendening can do. Add some speed (Ferraro) or some sandpaper (Callahan) and we're golden.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
How does it not look promising?

Veteran 1st line - Although not blazing fast, they are all defensily sound. Can still score with their high hockey IQ.
Two solid 2nd line scoring - The kids are all right.
A shut down fourth line - We know what Miller and Glendening can do. Add some speed (Ferraro) or some sandpaper (Callahan) and we're golden.

Definitely agree with this. Having Franzen and Datsyuk on the roster is definitely better than not having them but we are hardly starving either.

Actual Thought*

Zeta 5'11
Dats 5'11
Nyquist 5'11
Tatar 5'11
Pulkkinen 5'10
Richards 6'0

Dino Ciccarelli was one of the greatest net front players in history. He was 5' 10" and 180 lbs. He scored over 600 goals. Pretty effective if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad