Contract Termination: Ilya Kovalchuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I've said this in multiple threads regarding Kovy and I'll say it again: he should sign in Edmonton. With how poor their offense is outside of the big 2, he would be a welcome addition.

He still has the ability to be a good secondary scorer in the league. If he signs for a minimum/low contract he would bring a new dimension to that offense and could possibly ignite some production from their 3rd line. He would also be an option for their #2 PP unit.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Why are they allowed to terminate his contract? Why didn't teams terminate Erikson/Lucic/etc contract?

As other people have said, it's mutual. He's only scheduled to make approximately $500,000 left this season, plus his base salary next year of $4,250,000. The reason for the Kings to terminate the contract is obvious: they don't have to pay almost $5,000,000 to Kovalchuk this year and next, even if they're stuck with the cap hit. The reason for Kovalchuk is that he's betting on himself. He wasn't getting playing time with LA, so if he can sign another contract and prove he's still capable of playing in the NHL this year, he could potentially earn more money over the next few years. If not, he can head back to Russia and probably make more than that $4,250,000 anyway. It's a lot to leave on the table, but he's probably smart to do it no matter what.

He made about $14,000,000 in 81 games over one and a half seasons with LA.

Last edited:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
a coaches nightmare. .5 points a game as a top 6 winger is nothing to be proud of for a 6 million dollar guy. He's probably ignoring the coaches system. I will be surprised if any tea is dumb enough to take a shot on Kovy.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
a coaches nightmare. .5 points a game as a top 6 winger is nothing to be proud of for a 6 million dollar guy. He's probably ignoring the coaches system. I will be surprised if any tea is dumb enough to take a shot on Kovy.
0.5 pts per game for $1m is great though

Reactions: Nedarb

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Kovy was a good player on the Kings. He still has that scoring touch. It was a situation of bad timing and circumstances. The Kings are in the middle of a rebuild, need roster space for young players to come up, and the team needs to commit to a system that is going to be followed religiously. Kovy didn't fit with this plan. A team like Edmonton, Boston, Yotes etc. should look into signing Kovy at league minimum. He will round out the top 6 and still has that one-timer for the pp.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Despite bitter comments that Kovalchuk was misused by the Kings, the fact is that he is done. No team is going to touch this, it was already obvious last season.

Kovalchuk used to be a headcase who could get by with some impressive natural talent and some drive.

But this is 2019. Every facet of his play has lost a step or two. The league has gotten faster while he has gotten slower. He's still a nightmare to coach and the hunger and passion he had for the game seems gone.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Can someone please explain to me how you can waive a player who has a NMC? I thought that made you immune to being waived or traded.
Were the rules changed last night or am I missing the point here?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Can someone please explain to me how you can waive a player who has a NMC? I thought that made you immune to being waived or traded.
Were the rules changed last night or am I missing the point here?

The contract is terminated-there is no NMC, not anymore.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
If Kovy is ready to sign with a contender on the cheap, someone is going to bite.
I doubt anyone has a bigger hole for his favorite PP spot than the Pens. Outside of injuries, that exact position has been our biggest problem this season.

Whether he actually has something to give I just don’t know. But if the cap-hit is low enough I’d love to find out.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
OK, then I'm further confused.
What was the justification behind the termination of his contract?

without having any proof of what im saying... its pretty obvious to me

kings tell kovalchuk your contract is untradable
they tell him he wont ever play another game unless that contract goes away

he says... wait until i get my bonus... and then I will agree to a termination... I do want to play again

kings say... at least we dont have to pay you next year... it sucks but its the best we can do since we are committed to never playing you again.

kovalchuk says... I had a reason for coming back to the nhl… it was not to destroy my legacy. I still want to win a cup. I will convince a contending team im willing to play the remainder of this season for a minimum contract as long as they give me a chance to be a star player. im going to promise to do everything possible to be a star player because this is about my legacy.

id handicap the options like...

1/boston… we know they were hot for him last year... they cant afford a huge contract and kovalchuk offers a no-risk potential tryout at a very affordable price. if he fails, just get rid of him.

2/Edmonton... desperate for wingers who can score and 2 world class centers to play with

3/st louis... farmilar with dealing with taresenko… who btw is hurt

4/devils... a long shot because not a contender this year... but might be the only team willing to sign him next year too. have a whole to fill after hall moves. have gusev there needing a compatible linemate. and obviously have some history with kovalchuk.

the boston option to me just makes way too much sense for everyone involved... so im betting 80% odds he gets a chance there. boston kept lee stempniak with the team all last year so they dont mind bringing a guy in… letting him practice... letting him prove himself... and they already gave chara a contract full of playoff bonus money

I expect kovalchuk to be hanging out with the bruins shortly after Christmas... and probably earn himself a contract by mid January... and honestly I think if he scored 40 points in last 80 games in LA in that toxic enviroment, then on a good team he will definitely earn a regular spot with krejci/debrusk on a second line.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
without having any proof of what im saying... its pretty obvious to me

kings tell kovalchuk your contract is untradable
they tell him he wont ever play another game unless that contract goes away

he says... wait until i get my bonus... and then I will agree to a termination... I do want to play again

kings say... at least we dont have to pay you next year... it sucks but its the best we can do since we are committed to never playing you again.

kovalchuk says... I had a reason for coming back to the nhl… it was not to destroy my legacy. I still want to win a cup. I will convince a contending team im willing to play the remainder of this season for a minimum contract as long as they give me a chance to be a star player. im going to promise to do everything possible to be a star player because this is about my legacy.

id handicap the options like...

1/boston… we know they were hot for him last year... they cant afford a huge contract and kovalchuk offers a no-risk potential tryout at a very affordable price. if he fails, just get rid of him.

2/Edmonton... desperate for wingers who can score and 2 world class centers to play with

3/st louis... farmilar with dealing with taresenko… who btw is hurt

4/devils... a long shot because not a contender this year... but might be the only team willing to sign him next year too. have a whole to fill after hall moves. have gusev there needing a compatible linemate. and obviously have some history with kovalchuk.

the boston option to me just makes way too much sense for everyone involved... so im betting 80% odds he gets a chance there. boston kept lee stempniak with the team all last year so they dont mind bringing a guy in… letting him practice... letting him prove himself... and they already gave chara a contract full of playoff bonus money

I expect kovalchuk to be hanging out with the bruins shortly after Christmas... and probably earn himself a contract by mid January... and honestly I think if he scored 40 points in last 80 games in LA in that toxic enviroment, then on a good team he will definitely earn a regular spot with krejci/debrusk on a second line.

No way he comes back to NJ, i miss the elite kovy we saw in NJ during, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, and parts of 2013 although he bagged it at the very end. Ive got no ill will, but i have to say it is a bit surprising how his game fell. He was such dynamite force back then, sometimes so clutch when needed. His speed, skating, hands, and shot selection, durability, were world class for long time. Then he lost his speed a bit....and i guess some other things dropped a bit as he aged....

but kudos for your improvised dialog behind the scenes, it probably was something along those lines.

Strange times...

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I've said this in multiple threads regarding Kovy and I'll say it again: he should sign in Edmonton. With how poor their offense is outside of the big 2, he would be a welcome addition.

He still has the ability to be a good secondary scorer in the league. If he signs for a minimum/low contract he would bring a new dimension to that offense and could possibly ignite some production from their 3rd line. He would also be an option for their #2 PP unit.
If he's smart, he'd sign in Montreal. We don't know what defense is, so if he doesn't play it, we won't even notice.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Kovalchuk is lazy and terrible.

Nothing to do with coaching misuse.

How do you properly use a guy you expect to get scored on every time he steps on the ice?

You can't play him with your best players because you can't possibly put him up against top talent.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
We are still stuck with his cap hit. Why should we be penalized? Both parties want out of the contract and got out.

Because your team outbid every other team a year and a half ago accepting the risk that he would not perform to the contract offered. That’s the risk you take.

Wiping it clean might be fair between LA and the NHL, but it wouldn’t be fair to the other 30 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad