Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

it's okay cause it's all just the way it should be
Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Some people like our forward group a lot more than I do. If we're moving one or two out of Zuccarello, Namestnikov and Spooner we need to at least tread water with the group as a whole.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
One thing about a rebuild that we should never forget: among the worst things that can happen to a young, rebuilding team, is to constantly lose. "Growing up" in a losing environment results in a culture of losing: a culture that becomes self-perpetuating and can last your season after season. There a plenty of examples of that around the league.

So, teams that are rebuilding have to walk a fine line. Yes, a rebuilt might mean "being bad" so as to accumulate more draft picks, but is also means having veteran leadership around to set an example, emotionally even out the highs and lows of a season, and mentor younger players.

A rebuilding team needs veteran stability even though those veteran players might make the team overachieve to a degree.

I have no problem with signing Kovy, though I do have some doubts whether he fits the standard of veteran leadership I have set out above. I would much rather have made an attempt to resign Nash.

Also, from the fan point of view: next year is going to be rough. It is easy for us to sit here at the end of the season and say that it is OK if we lose and lose and lose next year. We want those elite draft prospects. But the reality is that it is going to be a very long season, full of disappointments, frustration, and disheartening loses. It has to get worse before it gets better. Yew, we can deal, intellectually, with knowing we are rebuilding. But emotionally, it is another thing.

Yes, we will be bad. But I still want the team to be somewhat interesting, to have an interesting dynamic. From the POV of ownership, they still need to fill seats and create buzz. Even the Knicks, with all that BB means to the city, have become somewhat irrelevant in the NYC sports scene with endless seasons of losing.

Kovy, may or may not be that veteran leadership and that stabilizing force. He may or may not be influential in bringing Shestyorkin and Rykov over.

But he will make the team more interesting to watch and make the long nights of next winter better. So. on balance, I'm OK with it.

I agree with almost all of this. However, one thing is different , at least for me on a personal level.
Next year, every single win will be a bonus. I'm not saying I expect this team to lose every single game but I expect them to be out of the playoff contention very early.
For years we have been teased with a team that most of the times made the playoffs comfortably enough for many to think they can go anywhere in the playoffs only to be disappointed by very painful exits or loses or just flat out shitshows (hello Ottawa, the worst Conference Final team in recent history and we crapped the bed against them).

So for me, that aspect is gone, expectations aren't high. All of next year will be a learning curve. Let the kids play, gather experience and grow. I look forward to new faces on and off the ice. Hopefully this will be a new, more successful approach as opposed to our last rebuild that got us into "too good to suck, too bad to win it all" country.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I'm not ready to buy the "should be a good mentor to the young Russians" mentality. What is this based on? He left his team in the middle of a long term contract to go to the KHL. Is that the kind of "mentoring" we want?

What if he is recruiting for the KHL?

Maybe he has a motive, but he is still a free asset as long Ilya get paid, but I`m certain there are other teams in NHL who are interested in his signature as well. We should try to avoid 3 years contract length though, and I`m positive we could spend this kind of cap elsewhere even though we miss a good sniper role player.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
If the terms are as reported, I am very much down with this move.
  • Good leader/locker room guy, with more obvious competitive fire than the guys in the last leadership group.
  • Provides a mentor for our uber-talented 22-y-o winger at what is IMO a very important time for him.
  • Increases the odds that two of our best prospects (including arguably our best, though personally I give that designation to Chytil) will come over to play in North America in '19. Wasn't super worried about this, but it's nice to get additional certainty.
  • Perhaps helps rehabilitate a forgotten prospect in Bear Gloves?
  • Aligns well with Hank's contract/window.
  • Potentially provides another player to flip for assets (in the last year of his deal).
  • Provides a player to replace Zucc/the RFAs who get traded this offseason.
  • EDIT: helps to recruit FA Russian talent like Gusev.
  • Will be fun to watch next year!
A couple of additional thoughts:

1) For the "go for it every year/just get in because anything can happen" crowd who deride the idea of ever rebuilding and invariably sneer at the rest of us as "tankers": a signing like this encapsulates, in a nutshell, why rebuilding and tanking are not the same. The goal in a rebuild is not to go out and lose as many games as you can every year; it's to move your assets in their prime for future value, while integrating your younger players – in a positive environment – and intelligently adding what other assets you can in the interim, so that you come out the other side with a solid core that can compete for a cup year after year. A move like this is perfect for a responsible rebuild.

2) I couldn't care less about any movement protections he receives for 2018-2019, and to a lesser extent, 2019-2020. If he's willing to move to a contender at next year's TDL and we can get a haul for him, great; but he also offers a lot of value if he's here when Shestyorkin and Rykov (and potentially any other Russian prospects we may draft/acquire) come over. I'd like the contractual ability to move him at the TDL in 2020, and in particular in 2021 if he gets a 3-year deal, but the fact of the matter is that you can always go to him and say "Ilya, this is a lost year and you're in the last year of a contract: why not go to a contender, live out of your suitcase for a couple of months, get a shot at a cup, and then come back over the offseason?"

3) This should not preclude making other, similarly shrewd moves in UFA. A player like JvR wants to come here for a Shatty-esque hometown deal? f*** yes, you do it – because it allows you to then move another guy (e.g. Hayes) for picks and prospects while maintaining long-term flexibility. It's the Lucic/Ladd/Okposo deals you want to avoid for a team at this stage.

Last edited:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Kovalchuk is a difference maker, heck he can become trade bait if things dont work out.

I wonder what coach slots him were with our lineup. I just hope we dont deal Zucc now. I want to compete.
This move would only make it that much more certain that Zucc is moved, IMO. I understand you wanting to compete for a Cup, but what's best for the team in the current situation is to position itself for long term Cup contention.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
This move would only make it that much more certain that Zucc is moved, IMO. I understand you wanting to compete for a Cup, but what's best for the team in the current situatoin is to position itself for long term Cup contention.
Yeah I mean it is better off we rebuild. Well Kovy could get us two 1st round picks so he can contribute to a rebuild

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
I would not rule out re-signing Nash at, say, $3-4 million for a few years. I'm not saying he'd be willing to do it; I'm not saying the organization would consider it. That's just as high as I would comfortably go, given his skill set, his production and--most importantly--his age.

I'd probably walk away from signing Nash. He just suffered another concussion. It might be in the Rangers best interest to not entertain a reunion.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
This is a significant add. Scoring is at a premium. This is a skill-tier that isn't readily available. Still has a home in North Jersey, familiarity with the area and as already stated, will help the influx of Buchnevich, Georgiev, Rykov, Shestorykin. Can't put a price on that. Great news.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Not a big fan at first glance. Better than giving big $ to JVR or something sure, but don't see a big need to prop up a bad to mediocre roster even more.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Idc really. He's still able, but he's getting older/is already old.

As long as the term is reasonable I see no issue at all. Gives our playmakers at least one sniper, that is ready as soon as next preseason.

Reactions: Ori

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm ready to be proven wrong. I'm ready for Kovalchuk to have Selanne-esque longevity and hit 600 goals with NYR. I don't think it's likely but there you go.

I wanted Kovalchuk really badly... 10 years ago.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
He isnt getting us 2 1st rounders.At his age and depending on his production,we might get 1.
Thats why I say could. He's a star player, a desperate team could offer 2 1sts. Values tend to increase by the tdl. He is older but it didnt stop us from doing that with msl, but then again I dont think any team would've done that :laugh:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Thats why I say could. He's a star player, a desperate team could offer 2 1sts. Values tend to increase by the tdl. He is older but it didnt stop us from doing that with msl, but then again I dont think any team would've done that :laugh:
No GM in their right mind would give up 2 1st rounders for him.none.

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
this is a no lose situation here, ill take 3 years, can always be dealt at the end of the 2nd year. this is a home run signing and getting kovy at 6 when we were paying 7.8 to Nash is nothing considering kovy is way better than Nash

overall how do you lose here? you don't it doesn't hurt us in anyway, we aren't giving up any prospects, no brainer move and I'm all for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad