IIHF World Championships 2024

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Beautiful game by Czechia so far. Now Canada needs to completely obliterate Switzerland in the second semis, and I'll still be happy with the tournament, no matter the final outcome.

Dostal *almost* with the empty better...beautiful.

Reactions: Kalv

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I hope Verbeek is taking note of Dostal showing that he might be ready for a full time starting role next year and figures out how to move Gibson (Eeyore) this off-season.

Reactions: Deuce22

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
I don't know how popular it is around here but Lundestrom is a pretty easy QO from me.

I agree- he may or may not have a long term future here but I think he’s good enough that I’d hater to push him off the roster just to replace him with another nobody.

Also I think that depth players break out later on in their career but that’s just a hunch of mine

Reactions: Trojans86

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I agree- he may or may not have a long term future here but I think he’s good enough that I’d hater to push him off the roster just to replace him with another nobody.

Also I think that depth players break out later on in their career but that’s just a hunch of mine
I like Lundestrom, I'm just wondering if he is more a winger than a center.

Last edited:

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Zegras with a horrible tournament coach guerin said that he was still trying to learn how to play with the system they had. Ie playing defense while playing good offense. Hero puck doesn’t work. Boldy with 14pts has a good tournament. What was looking like trevor being the second best player from that draft isn’t so cemented anymore

• Haha
Reactions: GermanRocket7

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Is this the first time in IIHF history that we don't have a top 5 country in the final?

That's a good observation. I went through the finalists and only in 2000 the finalists were Czechia and Slovakia. Otherwise one or both finalists have been from Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland or russia. However, I would argue that Czechia and Czechoslovakia used to be in the top 5 over Finland, so in 2000 one of the finalists was a top 5 country.

I hope that Czechia wins gold today. Just would be so awesome to see their fans go nuts.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
That's a good observation. I went through the finalists and only in 2000 the finalists were Czechia and Slovakia. Otherwise one or both finalists have been from Canada, USA, Sweden, Finland or russia. However, I would argue that Czechia and Czechoslovakia used to be in the top 5 over Finland, so in 2000 one of the finalists was a top 5 country.

I hope that Czechia wins gold today. Just would be so awesome to see their fans go nuts.
Czechia in 2000 and Czechoslovakia were very far about Finland. During the times of Czechoslovakia, Finland hardly ever won any games against them and no medals. Czechoslovakia had 6 golds and 11-12 silvers or something like that. Around 2000, they were absolute top. Won the 1999, 2000 and 2001 world championships and the 1998 Nagano Olympics, first best-on-best Olympics ever. Very different time now, but in 2000 they were top three.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have not been watching this tournament, but am not concerned about Z, what we saw at the end of the year with the Ducks is more important and he was looking like those 60+ point seasons, with the expection of looking more responsible in his own zone. Was on pace to only have like a -3 in a full season, so yeah he has made strides with that. Cronin needs to let him play his game, while just being responsibly in his own end .

The Ducks need to get out of the cellar, and it starts with fixing special Teams, and having more offense, so they can have those 70-80+ point guys again. Which I still see Z being a PPG player once this Ducks team can start building chemistry and have better coaching and depth.

Anyway, good luck to Dostal and Gudas, playing for Gold later today!

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad