IIHF World Championships 2024

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Should we be happy or upset with the outcome of this game? lol

Zegras, I think will be fine was looking like himself with the Ducks down the stretch and was producing very well.

Dostal having success in the WC is only going to help him for next year and help him build confidence.
Eh this is hopefully rock bottom for zegras…. But this was a horrible tournament for him.

Hoping he can kinda get his head out of his ass, and start worrying more about his hockey play and less about his branding

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eh this is hopefully rock bottom for zegras…. But this was a horrible tournament for him.

Hoping he can kinda get his head out of his ass, and start worrying more about his hockey play and less about his branding

Yeah I haven’t been watching the WC, and from just reading posts in here looks like he had a very bad tournament.

Maybe it’s good Leo and Cutter didn’t go. Just get stronger and ready for next season, which is like 4 months away.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Zegras isn’t doing himself any favours, he’s really gotta figure some shit out
There’s a Star Wars High Republic book where a Jedi has to find his “way” and he goes essentially to middle of nowhere with a “way seeker” that gets him back on track. Z needs that.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Zegras was backchecking etc. It seemed (this is a speculation) that he did not have or give 100% for whatever reason. He obviously still needs to figure things out, but I will not let this tourney imapct my thoughts about him.

Even Cronin (?) said that only Zegras can think the game at the level of Leo.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Zegras was backchecking etc. It seemed (this is a speculation) that he did not have or give 100% for whatever reason. He obviously still needs to figure things out, but I will not let this tourney imapct my thoughts about him.

I have no worries about Z, but man I wish he'd go and shut the detractors up.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA

If he was hurt, he shouldn't have been playing. If he wasn't hurt, he should have been giving 100%. Either way, it's not a good thing. Hopefully Zegras figures something out over the summer.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
We are still waiting on the first “star” of the new core to emerge and sometimes I wonder if that might be Dostal

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
Assuming he (and everyone else important) stays healthy, I feel like Z will either dominate this season or bomb out - no in between.

I'm betting on the former.

I'd also bet that he never stops running his mouth, which I think is fine but I'm sure some coaches won't.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Assuming he (and everyone else important) stays healthy, I feel like Z will either dominate this season or bomb out - no in between.

I'm betting on the former.

I'd also bet that he never stops running his mouth, which I think is fine but I'm sure some coaches won't.
I feel there's definitely a possibility for in between play. I think the issue, among a few others, is Zegras hasn't adapted well to reining back his skill play to focus on all around play.

This has become my worry with draft eligibles who thrive on outskilling junior level opponents they get to the NHL where guys are better, faster, stronger, and more defensively capable and they often struggle to adapt in a league where they're asked to play more of an overall game. Especially with the league (I'm presuming) accounting for the dilution in talent from recent expansions by forcing teams to play tighter 4 man collapse-1 man puck press systems (which, to me, is why we're seeing so many playoff games where teams are struggling to get shots on goal for big stretches of games), it's getting harder and harder for the danglers to thrive.

I think you either have to take Zegras as he is and let him focus on his creativity or hope that he can find a way to adapt his game to make use of his vision and hockey IQ (and obviously do your best to guide him). I'm not writing him off by any means, but my sense is he still hasn't found that balance in playing a whole new way and he's probably frustrated about it.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
It’s a bit surprising nobody here is talking about Gudas at the tournament. He has been absolutely tremendous for the Czechs, and does a lot of things that people don’t generally expect him to do (in addition to being his usual self). He has also been playing extremely responsibly, not collecting penalty minutes but being incredibly helpful to the team.

And yesterday he also physically kept the US in check. Whenever the Americans tried to provoke something, he interfered and snuffed it out. Tkachuk actually said in an interview after the game that Gudas had done a tremendous job fir his team and deserves lots of credit.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
TEMP GUDCapture.JPG

And yesterday he also physically kept the US in check. Whenever the Americans tried to provoke something, he interfered and snuffed it out. Tkachuk actually said in an interview after the game that Gudas had done a tremendous job fir his team and deserves lots of credit.
I hate both Tkachuks, but you have to give it to Brady for being able to acknowledge the opponent after a game like this. That's some class.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Like i said before. Zegras has a pretty game but is not conducive of winning. He needs to figure it out or he will be a journeyman

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I think/hope* that Zegras still has an injury/rust he hasn't quite gotten over. Dude just needs a hard summer reset.
I don't think he would have played in the world championships if he wasn't fully healed.
But he was playing well at the end of the season, so I'm not too worried.

Reactions: Kalv

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Like i said before. Zegras has a pretty game but is not conducive of winning. He needs to figure it out or he will be a journeyman
Based on USAs performance there really wasn’t a single member of that team that looked like they were conductive of winning.

Good roster, but overall a bad team.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Based on USAs performance there really wasn’t a single member of that team that looked like they were conductive of winning.

Good roster, but overall a bad team.
So much this. The US mostly sends teams that are good on paper, but are at the tournament for a good time in Europe together. Once the World Championships come back to NA, they'll look different, probably.

Reactions: Hamilton Bulldogs

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The home team Czechia and their no name goalie are currently leading Sweden 5-2 late in the second period, in the first semi final.

First time in this tournament that Sweden has allowed a first period goal, more than two total goals, or trailed at any point. But they are now heading to a big powerplay here.

Edit - Eriksson EK scores early on the PP, 5-3 now

Reactions: Kalv

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad