Igor Shesterkin now Vs peak Henrik Lundqvist

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Which one is/was the better one in your opinion?

• Igor Shesterkin

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Henrik Lundqvist (peak)

Votes: 80 90.9%

• Total voters

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I have learned to love Igor.

But this is Lundqvist. Henrik took a team to the Cup finals that had no business being there. He didn't have 40+ goal Kreider, Zibenejad, Panarin, Fox, rising stars like Lafreniere.

He had an over the hill Rick Nash, injured and beaten up Dan Girardi, and some solid core pieces like McDonagh and Zuccarello.

Between 11-12 and 14-15 Lundqvist was an absolute machine in the post season, in both elimination games and Game 7s.

Not to say Igor Shesterkin hasn't been fantastic, because he has. He is probably the best overall goalie in the NHL today. That said, peak Henrik, I'm fairly confident that the current roster would win the Cup with him. Igor is playing with a level of talent Lundqvist never had an opportunity to play on.

There is still time to change it though. Another playoff or two like the one Shesterkin just had and the gap closes a bit more.

Good problem to have going from the most consistent and one of the most clutch goalies in the world (Lundqvist) to one of the most consistent and clutch goalies in the world (Igor). Rangers have had the best goaltending in the NHL for a decade plus now.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hank and its not close.

Hank also never has the lows that Sehsty had this year.

More consistent his highs were just as high if not higher. He could actually shut out a team, and he never had the long stretches of atrocious play for a month.

Ok, he's had stretches of atrocious play for at least one month in every damn season of his career, most notably to start the 13-14 season. But yes he rarely was as bad as Igor was this year. And he had a shutout once in a while. That said Igor keeps the Rangers in every damn playoff game. Hank would have playoff games where the team was not even remotely competitive in large part due to his goaltending. Igor has had maybe two such games in his playoff career and they both came in a series when the Rangers played ECHL level defense.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hank carried his team by the public hairs into the playoffs routinely. An aging Crosby gave Shesty and this team headaches.

Hank had to endure prime Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Staal.

Then there was Ovenchicken with Backstrom, Semin, Green.

I mean an aging Crosby gave the Rangers defense more fits than some of the prime Crosby teams. They looked overmatched that series.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Hank and it's not as close as people think.

The complete booty juice that Hank had to play behind pales in comparison to what Igor has had.

I challenge anyone to go back in time and look at the rosters of some of those teams. I'd do it but I don't feel like vomiting right now

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Hank and it's not as close as people think.

The complete booty juice that Hank had to play behind pales in comparison to what Igor has had.

I challenge anyone to go back in time and look at the rosters of some of those teams. I'd do it but I don't feel like vomiting right now
Agreed 100%. People forget that that 2014 team Hank dragged to the finals was a 96-point team... Oftentimes can miss the playoffs outright with that RS record.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
As someone who has basically watched every game of both players careers, it's not close.

Igor is very impressive in the playoffs and he has been able to step it up consistently. I would argue they are equals in that realm.

Regular season is not even a conversation. Outside of Igor's Vezina season, he has been up & down. Hank was a lock to be a top performer for 10+ years.

It's really a shame Hank couldn't win a cup. Had he done that, not agreed to stay through a rebuild + the heart issues, we'd be talking about a top 10 goalie of all-time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad